• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gasparilla

Feld44

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  651
  • Days Won:  0

I just recieved a scary text from a friend stating they heard that they weren't allowing personal coolers down to the parade this year. Anyone know anything about this? Thank you!

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

I just recieved a scary text from a friend stating they heard that they weren't allowing personal coolers down to the parade this year. Anyone know anything about this? Thank you!

FOOD & BEVERAGES

Can I bring my own food and beverages?

There are over 150 Food, Beverage and Novelty vendors located throughout the event site for your convenience.  We ask that you support our officially licensed vendors, as they contribute a portion of their revenue to offset production costs of this great community celebration.

While you are permitted to bring in your own snacks and non-alcoholic beverages, please keep in mind that glass containers and coolers are not permitted for safety reasons.  Glass containers are prohibited by City of Tampa ordinance, and bulky coolers are a safety hazard in large crowds. Small soft-sided coolers and lunch bags are permitted for childcare needs and medical needs.  Grills, other than those owned by official food vendors, are prohibited within the event site.

http://www.gasparillapiratefest.com/faq.shtml

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Stick a bunch of cans of beer in the freezer for 2-3 hours, stick 'em in a sturdy Jansport backback and BOOM

good to go!

• Content Count:  12,293

for what its worth...i saw hundreds of coolers down there

• Content Count:  470

for what its worth...i saw hundreds of coolers down there

Concur.  And I was chatting with a cop standing along my section of the parade route and he pointed out that coolers were allowed; the only provision being that coolers with beer were prohibited.  He then ventured to guess that 90 percent of the coolers he saw contained beer.  And he could have cared less.

The cops were really laid back.  They would walk along our section and tell people with visible cans to simply put the beer into cups. So, the rules as written and the rules as applied were clearly different. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815

we walked around with an 18 pack of beer (cans) and didn't have any issues and definately saw plenty of coolers and the occassional shopping cart full of liquor. So long as you're not causing issues I don't think they'll give you a hard time.

Whiskey: what horrible taste in hockey teams you have...just sayin

• Content Count:  470

I am sure you would have equal disdain for my preferred professional baseball, football, and basketball teams.  I was born in Philadelphia and the majority of my family, including my parents, continue to reside in that general area so I refuse to abandon my passion for Philadelphia sports teams.  >:D

Anyway, in regards to Gasparilla, here are some knee-jerk lessons learned for any whom might decide to play along next year for the first time.

1) No need to get there ridiculously early.  Two years ago, I went to Gasparilla and arrived on Bayshore early in the morning and doing so was needed because parking, as well as places to congregate along the parade route, filled extremely quickly.  This year, we arrived to Bayshore around 10 AM and found this to be needlessly early; nothing in my area got filled until 1 pm or later.

2) As mentioned, bring a cooler with whatever contents desired.  I probably shouldn’t condone this, but no one was physically prohibiting anyone from doing so.

3) I would probably suggest sunscreen; I am pretty well sunburned now.

Just some advice from off the top of my head.  I had a great time. 

• Content Count:  651

I'm all for allowing the coolers and beer and what not, but why even waste time telling people that you can't bring that stuff if its not gonna be enforced? Just confusing to me!

I am sure you would have equal disdain for my preferred professional baseball, football, and basketball teams. I was born in Philadelphia and the majority of my family, including my parents, continue to reside in that general area so I refuse to abandon my passion for Philadelphia sports teams. >:D

you must be new here cause you're talking like i'm a Tampa fan when it comes to anything outside of USF ;)

I also have not turned on any of my teams just mine are all NY/NJ. I don't dislike most Philly teams except when their play affects my teams. I can't not hate the Flyers after some of the series my Devils have had with them in the past, but I definately hate the Rangers more.

I don't have the hatred for Philly many Tampa fans seem to have and as a Mets fan actually found myself (shamefully) rooting for Philly in the World Series for both personal reasons and a little so i didn't have to hear Tampa fans talk about the road to all their championships going through Philly (I have a soft spot for the city for some reason).

That plus it's so much fun to tick off my friends down here by rooting against their teams just to do it! Especially ones that hate New York teams just for being New York teams.

oh and as for Gasparilla:

-  don't get really drunk and fall trying to jump for beads...hurts your back the next day.

-  don't do it in a port a potty, people figure it out and really that's just gross (yes we saw two people coming out of one...)

- if you're short make friends with tall people around you and they'll help you get beads (I'm sure having boobs helps with this one)

- do get on a list for one of the many house parties...the one I ended up at had a DJ, alcohol, food, bathrooms, and it's just fun to see what people are willing to do so you throw them beads

Archived