• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Miami Herald:Sam wasn't UM vs USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  573
  • Days Won:  0

It was USF vs Illinois.

By COREY DAVIS

Special To The Herald

Jacksonville Parker linebacker Sam Barrington stunned friends and family Tuesday night at a downtown nightclub when he announced he would be attending the University of South Florida.

With several friends and family members dressed in University of Miami attire, Barrington, who earlier said he had narrowed his college choices to UM, Illinois and South Florida, chose the Bulls in front of about 100 invited guests at Eclipse nightclub.

''It was just the right fit for me and my family,'' said Barrington, a three-star recruit according to Rivals.com ``I felt the most comfortable there and I just wanted to pick the school where I had no regrets with my decision.''

Barrington brought two hats to the club -- Illinois and South Florida -- and placed them on a table. Before he made his choice, many believed Illinois was the team to beat. They were wrong.

''It was really tough turning down [illinois] Coach [Ron] Zook,'' Barrington said. ``He's taught me about life and [he's] just a guy you want to play for. But I just had to make the best decision for me and not look back.''

Barrington took an official visit to Miami on Jan. 23. But he said it didn't compare to his trip to the University South Florida.

''I loved the trip over there to South Florida,'' Barrington said. ``It really just confirmed tonight that I made the right choice and look forward to my future.''

After leading his team his junior season with 104 tackles (he also had two sacks and three fumble recoveries), Barrington played on offense and defense as a senior.

He ran for 1,188 yards and 17 touchdowns on 108 carries and tallied 109 tackles, three sacks and an interception on defense. He was rewarded by being named to the Class 5A All-State first team.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/sports/news-article.aspx?storyid=130537&catid=14

• Content Count:  622

BS...! Coach Douglas just even said that half of Barringtons family was wearing Miami gear when he made the announcement.

They just don't want to confess to getting beat out 1on1 for a big recruit.

• Content Count:  574

BS...! Coach Douglas just even said that half of Barringtons family was wearing Miami gear when he made the announcement.

The article isn't saying Miami didn't want him, they did....really bad.  What it is saying was that Kayvon eliminated UM from his final 3 and USF and Illinois were his final 2.  We did beat out Miami and a bunch of other schools too for him.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

The article isn't saying Miami didn't want him, they did....really bad.  What it is saying was that Kayvon eliminated UM from his final 3 and USF and Illinois were his final 2.  We did beat out Miami and a bunch of other schools too for him.

You mean Sam, not Kayvon. 

• Content Count:  574

^^^ Yeah, you are right. Sorry about that.  I get all the recruits we beat Miami out confused, I guess.  ;)

Archived