• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Akeem Richmond 6'0 G

Guest AstroBull

Guest AstroBull

Vega looks like Stan is recruiting him pretty hard.

I recently had the chance to catch up with Akeem Richmond '09 of Southern Lee (NC), one of the best uncommitted players in America. In early December, Richmond had told me he was down to Tennessee and Western Kentucky (after saying in early September that it was down to WKU and Syracuse) and that he would decide by 2009, but clearly that did not happen, as his recruitment took another turn.

"After I did so well at the Glaxco, I have been hearing from a lot of schools, over 20, [such as] UAB, Virginia, South Florida, Rhode Island, and a lot of others. So, I'm just very open right now," said Akeem via text message when I asked him for his school list. He claimed offers from schools such as Rhode Island, South Florida, Western Kentucky, East Carolina, UAB, and Charlotte, and added that Virginia was coming to watch him play, though he did stress that he is "wide open as of now."

What about Tennessee? "Yeah [they have offered], but I don't have interest in them anymore." What makes this interesting is that when I first spoke to Akeem in late July at the AAU Super Showcase, he told me that Tennessee and North Carolina were his dream schools and even said that if Bruce Pearl and Co. offered he would commit. So why did he cross the Volunteers of his list then? " felt like they didn't really want me, and plus, they have that [class of 2010] guard Josh Selby [of DeMatha in Maryland] coming in." Selby is regarded as one of the best juniors in the nation.

"[i am] just trying [to] figure out who wants me the most, and right now, South Florida is coming at me the hardest," said Richmond. I asked Akeem what schools he is really considering, to which he replied, "The schools [that] I gave you. I'm giving them all looks to see what they have to offer." I'll keep you up to date on where Akeem Richmond's recruitment stands at as we move closer to the April signing period

http://blog.northstarbball.com/2009/01/19/akeem-richmond-recruitment-is-wide-open.aspx

Here is his scout profile

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=2196902

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

Sure sounds like Leemow will be playing somewhere else next year.  I don't think we need three point guards that are a soph and two freshmen.

Normal

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Vega looks like Stan is recruiting him pretty hard.

"[i am] just trying [to] figure out who wants me the most, and right now, South Florida is coming at me the hardest," said Richmond.

http://blog.northstarbball.com/2009/01/19/akeem-richmond-recruitment-is-wide-open.aspx

He is a combo guard that looks for his own shoot first. He is the opposite of Crater who is a prototype PG that looks to set up his teammates first.

Richmond is a bigtime scorer no doubt and we need guys that can put the ball in the basket with some consistency. We could be at the top of the Big East standing right now if we had another guy that could score for us.

Following Heath recruiting it is very apparent that he is looking for a high scoring guard. This guy and the Adams kid out of Mississippi both fit in that category. I have another name to throw out there as well. He is a 4 star SG named Jason Calliste out of Canada who is attending Quality Education Academy in Winston Salem, N.C. I'll put up a story about him in my next post.

wouldn't be a bad addition. i'd rather have eric bledsoe though

South Florida will continue to recruit Bledsoe and all the other SGs as well from what I can tell.

Sure sounds like Leemow will be playing somewhere else next year.  I don't think we need three point guards that are a soph and two freshmen.

Normal

When Heath is talking about playing BJ Daniels ahead of both Leemow and Belardo that speaks very loudly to me. The writing is on the wall for those 2 imo.

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

4 star prospect Jason Calliste is one of top unsigned guards in America. He is a great shooter that has the athletism to get into the lane and finish inside against bigger players, and he plans on visiting South Florida soon.

This is an article from an Arkansas writer so it has a Razorbacks flavor to it, but we are mentioned and that's what counts.

Canadian shooting guard Jason Calliste is one prospect Arkansas plans to monitor over the next few months.

Caslliste,( 6-3, 168) is currently attending Quality Education Academy in Winston – Salem, N.C. He said he was unable to watch Arkansas’ win over Texas because he was sick.

He estimated that he has about nine scholarship offers, including ones from South Florida and New Mexico. While Arkansas hasn’t offered, Calliste said he’s interested in the Hogs.

“I like their style of play, “he said. “It’s the same style of play that we have at my high school now. I think I would fit and be comfortable.â€

Calliste said Quality Education Academy currently stands at 16-4 this season and he’s averaging about 26 points and 11 rebounds per game.

“I plan to visit Arkansas, Rhode Island, South Florida, New Mexico and Virginia Commonwealth,†said Calliste, who reports Arkansas recruiting him as a combo guard. “I’ve set one (visit) to VCU.â€

Calliste’s team attended the Kreul Basketball Classic in Florida during December, where he won the Rock Sharp three-point shooting contest.

Is it just me or does it look like Heath loves recruiting the state of North Carolina?

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Leemow was a big contributor tonight... if he plays with that type of energy... it is Daniels that will be on the bench.  He was grabbing rebounds among the tall timber, hitting 3's, defending well.

• Content Count:  573
  • Days Won:  0

Leemow was a big contributor tonight... if he plays with that type of energy... it is Daniels that will be on the bench.  He was grabbing rebounds among the tall timber, hitting 3's, defending well.

This will be Daniels last, or second to last, BBall season.  Leavitt won't allow him to be the 1st, or possibly 2nd, string QB and play BB with a FB schollie. 

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Normal

Why Leemow? If someone is going to be playing elsewhere next season, then I sure hope it is Belardo.

Leemow, Daniels, and Belardo all played a good bit in the first half against DePaul last night and Belardo was jost lost out there. The play where he got the ball right by the baseline with an open lane to the basket, only to hesitate, then throw up a god awful shot is proof positive that he shouldn't be seeing the floor. DePaul's D backed off of him after that play and he still looked so tentative.

I think Leemow certainly asserted himself last night. He hustles, plays good D (did a nice job fighting through screens and picks), will score from 3 point range. We'll get much more out of him then we will out of Belardo.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I like Belardo, perhaps more upside than Leemow, but Leemow gets more minutes due to the position he plays.  I think he will stay too.  I hope we keep both Leemow and Belardo.  Since Daniels is a walk on, he can stay too.  Whatever Leavitt says goes there.  But I don't see either being kicked to the curb.  Both Leemow and Belardo have shooting range and both hustle and show heart.  Both are true freshman getting minutes in the big east.  They are going to be very valuable pieces going forward, as will Espinosa and especially gilchrist. 

Before last night, i kinda believed one of those two (Belardo Leemow) would likely leave... but I don't think that is the case now.

I think Belardo will prove his worth once he starts getting more minutes (this season and next season)

Archived