• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hillsborough OL Darren Baker

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  622
  • Days Won:  0

6-4 280 lb Tackle

Seems like if we want him then he is ours. We need O-lineman...

January 05, 2009

New offer, commitment coming soon for Hillsborough's Baker?

Talented Hillsborough OL Darren Baker has one scholarship offer in the bank (FAU), but he's hopeful another will be coming soon from USF. According to Terriers coach Earl Garcia, the Bulls have told Baker they would offer him if he got his grades in order.

"We think he got straight A's in the fall," Garcia said. "An offer (from USF) should be forthcoming."

If USF does offer, Baker is likely to grab it.

"I think that's his No. 1 choice," Garcia said.

The 6-foot-4, 265-pound Baker, who plays left tackle, was a Times first-team all-county selection last fall. In an interview last summer, Baker said a terrible first year in the classroom set him back a substantial amount. But today, he appears to be back on track with his studies. Not only that, but he said he scored a 21 on the ACT.

"He's gotten really serious about his grades," Garcia said. "I'm really proud of him."

--KEITH NIEBUHR

http://memphis.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=78585

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

He's the highest level (5.4) 2-star on Rivals and a 1-star (unrated) on Scout.  At this point in the season, staffs are usually looking for large athletic guys.  They are most likely to still be raw and need work on technique and leverage, which is why they are not more highly rated.  If Baker is legitimately 6'4" and 265, then that is a pretty good frame to build on.

• Content Count:  1,037

I would like to have some mammoths on the O-line, guys that are 310lbs or more. Just like Bama and UF.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I would like to have some mammoths on the O-line, guys that are 310lbs or more. Just like Bama and UF.

A guy at 6'4" 265 should easily make 300+ in 2-3 years.  As stated above, guys like this are projects.  If we have the scholarships grab him.  Red shirt him a year, then he could be a good size to play for about 2 years.

• Content Count:  7,890

IMO ALL O Linemen should be RS. HS players at this position in most cases are not the right size to play.

Archived