• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OPTIMISM/COOLER HEADS NEEDED

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,479
  • Days Won:  13

It's just a few inches, but those few inches effect the entire team.

I would agree... which is why I have been saying that Hobbie should quit calling those plays where PJ needs to be more accurate or do touch passes -- or at least limit them.

If you have a QB with accuracy problems, why not give him high-percentage passes to start the game? Quick slants & hitches, screen passes to RBs, etc.  

Moreover, PJ is fairly mobile - how about moving the pocket.  The only time this has happened all season - that I can recall - was a 4th down against TCU... the pocket rolled right, and PJ threw across the field to a wide open Andre Hall for a TD.

That was a simple adjustment - and it worked then.  To some extent, Hobbie has shifted more to a running game that works well for us - and should continue to with Crossley, Hall, et al.  I just don't understand why MH - on passing plays - doesn't adjust to PJ's strengths (mobility) and away from his weaknesses (accuracy).  As you said, we are a passing game away from being 4-2.  However, MH doesn't seem to grasp this.

That is why I have been calling for his termination...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I would agree... which is why I have been saying that Hobbie should quit calling those plays where PJ needs to be more accurate or do touch passes -- or at least limit them.

If you have a QB with accuracy problems, why not give him high-percentage passes to start the game? Quick slants & hitches, screen passes to RBs, etc.  

Moreover, PJ is fairly mobile - how about moving the pocket.  The only time this has happened all season - that I can recall - was a 4th down against TCU... the pocket rolled right, and PJ threw across the field to a wide open Andre Hall for a TD.

That was a simple adjustment - and it worked then.  To some extent, Hobbie has shifted more to a running game that works well for us - and should continue to with Crossley, Hall, et al.  I just don't understand why MH - on passing plays - doesn't adjust to PJ's strengths (mobility) and away from his weaknesses (accuracy).  As you said, we are a passing game away from being 4-2.  However, MH doesn't seem to grasp this.

That is why I have been calling for his termination...

I would agree too, but Hobbie has been calling easier games for PJ.  In the UL game his first few pass players were easy slants.  To many PJ just doesn't do it well.

Two things that Hobbie should do more, and do it early is screen passes to the RB's, and roll out PJ.  I noticed that PJ's a better passer rolling around then sitting in the pocket.  He's also a streaky passer, he seems to just go on streaks.  He can have a series where he's 5-6, then have a long stretch of 1-6.  SO, PJ needs confidence, and he needs it early.  Use a series of well thought out screens- double screens, bubble screens, inside screens- 1 or 2 to start off the game would get PJ a completion or two, and some confidence.  Second, roll him out on the second series, move the pocket.  PJ seems to throw better moving then sitting in the pocket.

MY problem is with Smith.  A QB coach recognizes these nuances about his QB and convey's them to Hobbie.  Instead, what I'm reading and hearing is Smith sees these guys in practice- where everyone is comfortable- and when they're gameplanning for next week he doesn't tell Hobbie the appropriate information like- "We need to build PJ's confidence, short stuff, screens, out patterns, maybe one roll out pass---that's his strong suit."  No instead Smith keeps saying, 'well they look better in practice, we just need to get that type of effort into the game'.  No Smith you need to get them better, you need to determine how to get that output into the games.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,446
  • Days Won:  43

Dont forget that Mike Hobbie played a big part in USF's 9-2 season just a few years ago. I dont put much blame  on Mike Hobbie because he is calling plays that are just not being executed. I honestly believe that USF would be ranked right now if we had a QB like Blackwell. Whoever developed Blackwell while at USF needs to be hired back ASAP. I agree with Bien in that Rod Smith needs to take some of the blame for not improving Banks or Julmiste. It just goes to show you that our development at QB sucks. I dont think Hobbie has that much to do with that. Give Mike Hobbie the tools and you will see USF scoring alot on offense.