• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

now REALLY official...Memphis to St. Pete bowl.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

i see this as an easy win. even how bad we are, memphis went 6-6 in pathetic cusa

This is what we said last year vs. Oregon. Hope we show up to play.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

from the commercial appeal.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/dec/07/memphis-tigers-play-south-florida-dec-20-bowl-st-p/

Memphis Tigers to play South Florida in Dec. 20 bowl in St. Pete

By Phil Stukenborg

Originally published 04:40 p.m., December 7, 2008

Updated 04:40 p.m., December 7, 2008

Former Conference USA rivals Memphis and South Florida will reunite Dec. 20 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg to play not only one another, but for history.

The Tigers, members of C-USA, and the Bulls, now in the Big East, will meet in the inaugural magicJack St. Petersburg Bowl. Kickoff is set for 3:30 CST and the game will be shown by ESPN2.

An official announcement is expected this afternoon, according to sources familiar with the proceedings.

The Tigers, who finished 6-6, were extended an invitation Sunday, eight days after their 45-6 victory over Tulane made them bowl eligible. Memphis will be participating in the postseason for the fifth time in six seasons, an unprecedented streak for a program that hadn't gone to a bowl for 32 years before appearing in the 2003 New Orleans Bowl. It also will mark the U of M's first postseason game against a Bowl Championship Series Conference team.

South Florida, which bolted C-USA for the Big East in 2005, will be playing in a bowl for the fourth straight season, something only two other Big East programs (Rutgers and West Virginia) have done. The Bulls (7-5) ended their season Saturday with a 13-7 loss in snowy conditions at West Virginia, USF's fifth loss in seven games. USF, invited after the loss to West Virginia, opened the season with five straight wins and was ranked in the top 10 nationally.

Memphis's invitation had been widely expected since the team's season-finale win over the Green Wave, followed several days later by Southern Miss's New Orleans Bowl invite. St. Petersburg and New Orleans had been considered the likely destinations for the Tigers.

While pleased with their Florida assignment, the Tigers will be playing USF in what amounts to a home game for the Bulls. Tropicana Field, the 33,000-seat venue for the game, is 32 miles from the USF campus. Brett Dulaney, the bowl's executive director, is hoping the proximity will ensure a sellout. Each team is allotted 10,000 tickets, which accounts for nearly two-thirds of capacity at the stadium, home to the American League baseball champion Tampa Bay Rays.

they still play football?

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i see this as an easy win. even how bad we are, memphis went 6-6 in pathetic cusa

what is line?

usf should be able to beat this team

• Content Count:  1,240
  • Days Won:  0

I like this match up...

(1) IF the Bigeast ever figures out that it needs to expand then I think Memphis would be one of the teams picked to come over.

(2) Better then playing ECU... AGAIN.

At least we are not playing UCiF  ;)

Absolutely. Memphis would probly be target #1 if we expanded. I look forward to this game. A likely win over a team we have some history with.

Short of playing a BCS or ranked team this is about as good of an option as we could have.

• Content Count:  52

Playing Memphis makes me sick.  No credit for a win, hellfire if we lose.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

HA. you're comparing memphis to a bcs team like oregon. hilarious

• Content Count:  1,894

We didnt show up to Kansas until half time. Or did their defense just not show up

This will either be one of those nc state blow outs or a sloppy victory for the bulls.

• Content Count:  393

Unfortunately, I have no interest in this game. I guess our disappointing season makes me feel this way. Memphis ( I remember when they were the Memphis State Tigers) does not thrill me at all :(

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

Whatever happened to Rick Kravitz?  I thought he was their D Coach?

• Content Count:  298
  • Days Won:  1

from the commercial appeal.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/dec/07/memphis-tigers-play-south-florida-dec-20-bowl-st-p/

Memphis Tigers to play South Florida in Dec. 20 bowl in St. Pete

By Phil Stukenborg

Originally published 04:40 p.m., December 7, 2008

Updated 04:40 p.m., December 7, 2008

Former Conference USA rivals Memphis and South Florida will reunite Dec. 20 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg to play not only one another, but for history.

The Tigers, members of C-USA, and the Bulls, now in the Big East, will meet in the inaugural magicJack St. Petersburg Bowl. Kickoff is set for 3:30 CST and the game will be shown by ESPN2.

An official announcement is expected this afternoon, according to sources familiar with the proceedings.

The Tigers, who finished 6-6, were extended an invitation Sunday, eight days after their 45-6 victory over Tulane made them bowl eligible. Memphis will be participating in the postseason for the fifth time in six seasons, an unprecedented streak for a program that hadn't gone to a bowl for 32 years before appearing in the 2003 New Orleans Bowl. It also will mark the U of M's first postseason game against a Bowl Championship Series Conference team.

South Florida, which bolted C-USA for the Big East in 2005, will be playing in a bowl for the fourth straight season, something only two other Big East programs (Rutgers and West Virginia) have done. The Bulls (7-5) ended their season Saturday with a 13-7 loss in snowy conditions at West Virginia, USF's fifth loss in seven games. USF, invited after the loss to West Virginia, opened the season with five straight wins and was ranked in the top 10 nationally.

Memphis's invitation had been widely expected since the team's season-finale win over the Green Wave, followed several days later by Southern Miss's New Orleans Bowl invite. St. Petersburg and New Orleans had been considered the likely destinations for the Tigers.

While pleased with their Florida assignment, the Tigers will be playing USF in what amounts to a home game for the Bulls. Tropicana Field, the 33,000-seat venue for the game, is 32 miles from the USF campus. Brett Dulaney, the bowl's executive director, is hoping the proximity will ensure a sellout. Each team is allotted 10,000 tickets, which accounts for nearly two-thirds of capacity at the stadium, home to the American League baseball champion Tampa Bay Rays.

they still play football?

hmmm...i really enjoyed my last trip to Tampa...DeAngelo Williams ran for over 260 yards and 2 TD's...the offense racked up 450+ yards...Memphis 31 USF 15

in fact, little ole Memphis is 2-2 against the Bulls.

USF is going to have to prove they're better on the field.

see you there!

Archived