• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Time to bench grothe

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Grothe has his limitations, but the payers underneath him certainly possess them as well; even worse.

how do you know this?

"the payers underneath him" have never gotten a chance to play in anything other than garbage time, which has been almost non-existant the way we've been playing from behind for most of the season.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  19
  • Days Won:  0

WHATEVER, then put in gregory, he can't be any worse than grothe - gregory would of hit Love on that wide open pass.

Gregory throws a bullet, Love couldn't even catch one that was right in his hands, so how's he gonna catch that

• Content Count:  349

That said, there is no reason to believe a Freshman like BJ Daniels or someone else couldn't throw to an open receiver.  For all you that say that a Freshman couldn't be better than Matt, Matt as a Freshman was better than he is now.

I'd like to know what the basis of this last assumption is... strictly looking at the numbers, they're almost identical this year from his freshmen year. Hell, they're almost identical to last year as well... the biggest difference is he ran more last year and got more yardage there, and there were more losses this year... 1 more loss this year than his freshman year in the regular season and 2 more from last season...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=173139

Is Grothe a Payton Manning? No... is he a Brady? A Marino? An Aikman? Hell no... he's a Jeff Garcia. He'll get the job done most of the time. But if he doesn't have the talent and tools around him to get it done, he's not going to do so well... if he's injured, he's not going to do so well...

If you plopped Grothe into Tebow's place at Florida, would he be a Heisman candidate? Maybe... maybe not... but I bet he would have done almost as good as Tebow has done there... he's a compeititor, he's a player... we've known for a long time that the deep ball isn't his strong suit... if he plays Pro, he'll be a West Coast QB... short to medium passes, accuracy, and mobility...

• Content Count:  308

I concurr, dude's been a major part of our establishment as a solid, competetive, before-the-invitable-collapse ranked team.

However, like the Peter Principal, he has reached his level of competence.  It kills me to see him almost always misfire on the long ball and often when the receiver is wide open.

Matt is an excellent athlete and can be a big asset to the team, perhaps in a DIFFERENT POSITION.  

What other position would #8, based on the skills and body he has, might he be able to play at and still be able to contribute to the team?

• Content Count:  349

I concurr, dude's been a major part of our establishment as a solid, competetive, before-the-invitable-collapse ranked team.

However, like the Peter Principal, he has reached his level of competence.  It kills me to see him almost always misfire on the long ball and often when the receiver is wide open.

Matt is an excellent athlete and can be a big asset to the team, perhaps in a DIFFERENT POSITION.  

What other position would #8, based on the skills and body he has, might he be able to play at and still be able to contribute to the team?

A number of schools recruited him as a DB out of high school. I guess he would be more of a Ronde Barber Cover 2 type corner... but I think he's wasted there... his leadership, his intangibles are wasted...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,717
  • Days Won:  109

That said, there is no reason to believe a Freshman like BJ Daniels or someone else couldn't throw to an open receiver.  For all you that say that a Freshman couldn't be better than Matt, Matt as a Freshman was better than he is now.

I'd like to know what the basis of this last assumption is... strictly looking at the numbers, they're almost identical this year from his freshmen year. Hell, they're almost identical to last year as well... the biggest difference is he ran more last year and got more yardage there, and there were more losses this year... 1 more loss this year than his freshman year in the regular season and 2 more from last season...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=173139

Is Grothe a Payton Manning? No... is he a Brady? A Marino? An Aikman? Hell no... he's a Jeff Garcia. He'll get the job done most of the time. But if he doesn't have the talent and tools around him to get it done, he's not going to do so well... if he's injured, he's not going to do so well...

If you plopped Grothe into Tebow's place at Florida, would he be a Heisman candidate? Maybe... maybe not... but I bet he would have done almost as good as Tebow has done there... he's a compeititor, he's a player... we've known for a long time that the deep ball isn't his strong suit... if he plays Pro, he'll be a West Coast QB... short to medium passes, accuracy, and mobility...

To clarify somewhat, I think he made better plays at the end of games in his Freshman year than he does this year.  Wasn't it his first game when we were losing to like FIU or someone and he ralllied the team with a few seconds to go?  Did that a few times that year. 

I believe you when you say statistically he is about the same.  But if that same situation last night occured Frosh year, we win that game.  He would have found a way.  No doubt in my mind.

• Content Count:  1,894

To think he would have done what Teebow has done at Florida is a push. He would never win a hesiman. His stats are worse then any other year. His passing yards should be up, we have been losing in most games and he has had to throw alot more. That is the only reason for the increase in passing yards. He hasnt improved at all, he hasnt made any improvement in checkdowns,interceptions,managing the game and prolly more but he keeps us in the game with competitive nature and athletic ability. He is a sub-par passer. The past two years the guys who came on the board and said he was overrated, and we bashed them because we thought he would improve but time to start BJ DANIELS.

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

All of you Grothe bashers ought to open their eyes.  I'll admit the pickat the end of the half was all his fault and he missed the long balls but how the h&** do any of you know that these weren't timing patterns and the receivers ran slower than usual.    Did he rough the punter in the end zone?  Did he rough him again?  Did he let Pat White complete that long TD passr ight in front of Murphy.  He also didn't fumble in the red zone on the first drive. Give it up, they win as a team and lose as a team.

• Content Count:  1,894

lol, grothe is just not a good passer, just get it through your head. He was outperformed by backup qb's this year.

Archived