• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stunner? UConn's Brown Left off Doak Walker Finalists List

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,024
  • Days Won:  469

UConn's Brown Left Off List Of Doak Walker Finalists

By DESMOND CONNER | The Hartford Courant

November 25, 2008

UConn coach Randy Edsall has been a model of consistency when it comes to the team-first concept.

No individual is above the team. Without an all-out blocking effort by the offense, junior Donald Brown would not be one of the best running backs in the country.

When the Doak Walker Award committee released the three finalists for the nation's top running back Monday, Brown was not among them.

Iowa's Shonn Greene (1,729 yards, 6.2 yards a carry, 17 touchdowns in 12 games), Michigan State's Javon Ringer (1,590 yards, 21 TDs in 12 games) and Georgia's Knowshon Moreno (1,244, 15 TDs in 11 games) were.

Team-first or not, Brown (1,633, 5.4 avg., 16 TDs, 11 games) not being among the finalists, "that's a disappointment," Edsall said.

"You're the leading rusher in the country and you're up there," Edsall said. "What else would you have to do? I mean just because he's not from a big-name school ... That is kind of surprising to me but hey, that's the way it is and he'll just go about his business and keep working hard and trying to help his team win."

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

It's obviously beccause they watched the USF game!  :)  But no, he should be on there.  I would like to here why Knowshon is in there over him/

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

According to ESPN.com, Knowshon has 1244 yeards on 210 carries with 15 TD's while Donald Brown has 1633 yards on 304 carries with 16 TD's. I guess they take into account that Moreno plays in the "mighty" SEC. Once again, the Big East gets the shaft.

Archived