• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

TBO: Lots and lots and lots of Leavitt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

i dont have to watch the video to know what he is doing. He is throwing out all the excuses, and trying to say he won't use those excuses as excuses but he still throws them out so they are in your head.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I think you have a passionate, A type personality who is not used to losing and doesn't like it.  I think he loves the players.  But he also has two more games plus possibly a bowl game.  He has to get through those 2 - 3 games and he cannot do so by throwing players nor coaches under the bus.

He knows it is his job along with Woolard to make coaching changes, but airing those in the media with 3 games to go, will not help you.

I'd do the same thing if I were him.

I had to lay people off in past companies, and you certainly do not put that message out until the timing is right.

• Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

I like Leavitt but I am not buying this. A matter of fact his statements remind me of something I learned in college:

"Excuses are tools of the incompetent, and those who specialize in them seldom go far."

He said injuries were not an excuse, just part of the explanation.  Excuses imply not taking blame, otherwise they are reasons.  He said they need to coach better.  What more do you want?

I think it was a great sign that he opened up so much.  I suggest watching the video rather than reading the transcript.

Windbane what did Leavitt take blame for? I read the transcript and watched/listened to the video. Yes Leavitt is finally opening up and that is wonderful. But I can not buy his "reasons" because:

1)  Injuries are a part of football. Yes the number of injuries to this team is quite high.  Honestly, I can not recall many professional or college football teams that have had so many injuries especially to key players in the same area of the body; lower leg. Maybe the trainers need to tape better or work on preventing lower leg injuries.

2) Leavitt also mentions the referees  made some bad calls. Well for the past few years Leavitt has been against going against the referees in public. Why does he choose to do it now?  A miserable season perhaps. I really do not know the honest answer but I bet he would not mention that if the team won the game.

3) Players being out of postion and not making key blocks.That is a break down of communication and lack of preparation.  Its not like some of the injuires just happened during the game.  For example Mike Ford has been injured since the first game, Jamar Taylor was injured during NC State,  there have been many games since then why is no one else prepared?  What is the explanation for that?

One thing that Leavitt said that I buy, is that USF did not catch a break in any of these areas, all of them were exposed while playing Rutgers.

I believe Leavitt realizes that this was a blown season and he was trying to salvage it but making remarks like these to me is a slip of his standard he once set. I honestly lost some respect for him as a coach after this news conference.

Archived