• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mike Hobbie's Play Calling...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

Cyberbull, I agree with you that it is hard to fire a Coordinator in the middle of the season, but that is what i'm talking about.  Everyone knew this was a problem LAST season.  

So why didnt CJL get something done in the offseason.  That is what I don't understand.  Option 1, you get rid of him, or option 2 maybe you think to yourself, its not Hobbie's fault its the offense, we will try changing the offensive scheme to accomidate the talent we DO have, not the talent we someday HOPE to have.  But CJL did neither, when it was obvious something needed to change, that is part of the reason I think its CJL not getting the job done, not Hobbie.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Cyberbull, I agree with you that it is hard to fire a Coordinator in the middle of the season, but that is what i'm talking about.  Everyone knew this was a problem LAST season.  

So why didnt CJL get something done in the offseason.  That is what I don't understand.  Option 1, you get rid of him, or option 2 maybe you think to yourself, its not Hobbie's fault its the offense, we will try changing the offensive scheme to accomidate the talent we DO have, not the talent we someday HOPE to have.  But CJL did neither, when it was obvious something needed to change, that is part of the reason I think its CJL not getting the job done, not Hobbie.

suspense: when I was in college I had terrible car. I knew it was terrible, my girlfriend and all my friends knew it was terrible...the car itself knew it was terrible. It was just a terrible car.

However as much as I would of loved to get a car that was not nearly as terrible I couldn't afford it. Sure I could of traded it in for another terrible car but why?  At least with my terrible car I knew what was wrong with it and I rationalized that eventually when I had enough money I would make the jump to a real car that had nothing terrible about it.

What I am trying to convey is that although Jim Leavitt got a nice salary increase, his assistants were near the bottom of  C-USA in salaries, and I can almost guarantee they will be last in the Big East.

Getting rid of Hobbie just for the sakes of change is a bad idea. Who exactly are we going to be able to attract with the chump change salary we are paying?

We could go the young assistant route, however do we really want to debut in the BE with a green behind the ears coordinator who we got on the cheap?

We have to hope that at the end of the season CJL is given more resources to make the necessary upgrades and adjustments on his staff. This also means that us fans can't complain when the cost of attending games goes up or if other programs like basketball and baseball suffer b/c football is eating up more than their fair share. It's all about choices.

With the right players  this system has worked before and it appears that with Grothe and Hill we may finally get some relief.  

It really wouldn't surprise me if the entire staff returns back next year.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  365

Disagree with Bullogna, the defense didn't stop Army once in the second half.  35 pts should be enough to win. As much as I hate the offensive scheme, they put enough points on the board to win.  The defense over pursued, and had no one protecting the cut back lanes.  

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Louisville, if they don't already have it in, is going to toss sweep against us.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Cyberbull, I see your point as to why changes may not have been made up until this point.  And I agree, I hope CJL gets some more resources from the university in the offseason, if he doesnt then it is kind of pointless to go to the Big East.  Although I will try to remain positive, the University has been very supportive of the Football program up until this point, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt until the offseason.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Two Frosh QBs are not going to cure what really ails this team.  Poor defense and no playmakers on either side of the ball is the problem.  When was the last time we got an interception or made a big catch?  Never.  Hobbie can be the greatest Offensive mind of all time, however with our Div III QB and stone hand receivers, we ain't doin' nothin'.  I'm sure we tried to recruit better players but apparently we did not get any of them.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Come on Bollogna, I won't get technical here and tell you the game was OT and less then 40 in regulation but I will tell you TCU is the perfect example of a team giving up too many points a game and losing.  Lets see, we have given up 40+ points in 3 games and won one.  I don't like a .333 winning percentage.  Now lets try to put things in perspective.  In the fourth quarter we had 4 freshmen playing and 3 sophmores on D.  Argueably our best player on D was sitting on the bench with an injury(L Selmon).  Our offense lost their star running back(Hall) for the 4th quarter also.  Enough of the doom and gloom.  This is college and it is going to happen.  Hell, the pro teams make a ton of bad calls, just ask the announcers, they will and do tell you.  Bad tackling,over pursuit and poor special teams play really cost us this game, not Mike Hobbie.  Our team is young and will improve.  I hated the loss just as much as anybody but "The sky is not falling"  

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Two Frosh QBs are not going to cure what really ails this team.  Poor defense and no playmakers on either side of the ball is the problem.  When was the last time we got an interception or made a big catch?  Never.  Hobbie can be the greatest Offensive mind of all time, however with our Div III QB and stone hand receivers, we ain't doin' nothin'.  I'm sure we tried to recruit better players but apparently we did not get any of them.

If the freshmen QBs beat out Julmiste or Denson that must mean that they can at least make simple completions. That is better than we can do now.

As far as big catches, there were plenty of big catches such Jackie Chambers grab in the TCU game. Our receivers played great that game b/c the QB was actually getting them the ball consistently. We have good receivers they just need more attempts and experience.

The problem with this team is the QB play. It doesn't take advantage of other team's mistakes and as a result games that should be blow outs remain close games. The failure to deliver the ball as a result keeps the defense on the field. For an undersized defense that is built on speed that is bad news.

The only positive is that the young defensive players are getting more reps than they would if the offensive was even half way decent.

The playcalling has been bad but if you are going to be fair you have factor in who is throwing the passes.

Some of you guys have been really spoiled.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

To me Denson is not a QB, he's been playing cb for what two years now.  I just don't see him being a factor at QB.   Man would LOVE to have him in our defensive backfield though.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  127

You may not be looking at the right person, could the play calling be this way because PJ can't see more than half of the field.  For the most part he is not hitting the open receivers because he does not see them.  Now could PJ being on a half field read be the result of the OLine not blocking.   Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda, lets finish the season or at make the descision that the season is over before you put in the young QB's.  But again remember we all did not like Blackwell and it took him until his junior year before he picked up the system and really saw all of the field.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

oc has too go

keep franks

fire dc,ol and dl coach

we need to hire experienced coaches