• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does USF ever script the first 10 - 30 offensive plays?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

I would love to see if we are able to stick to it if we do. Just wondering because the offense seems too reactive (kinda like a defense) and less strategic. We never are able to "set up" a big play because its all made up at the line of scrimmage after the defense is set. I believe that's why it is difficult to get things going in some games. Just a question and thought for today . . . .

• Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

I was wondering this the other day, actually.

• Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

Seems like they did vs NCSU, but certainly not vs pitt

• Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Most teams script plays, but the game can change that quickly.  I don't think anyone scripts as many as 30, but I would think teams script about 10-15 plays out of the chute and then make adjustments from that. 

• Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

i dont think we script anything

• Content Count:  5,249

Gregory has stated explicitly that he "doesn't have an offensive scheme."

the NCSU game was the only game in which there was even a semblance of scripting plays.

it's true that the game changes quickly, but part of good coaching is anticipating variables and adjustments and then scripting alternative strategies...  e.g. "if they blitz, run screens and slants..."

[of course, Gregory doesn't have screens and slants in his playbook, which is another issue with this offense, but i digress...]

Grothe said in an article after the Pitt game that they "looked completely different than they did on film."

that means that either 1) the coaches didn't find the right film or 2) the 'Stache developed a completely different gameplan than anything they've used this season.

in either case, we got outcoached and any script Gregory may have had [if he even had one] was clearly ineffective.

• Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

the NCSU game was the only game in which there was even a semblance of scripting plays.

it's true that the game changes quickly, but part of good coaching is anticipating variables and adjustments and then scripting alternative strategies...  e.g. "if they blitz, run screens and slants..."

[of course, Gregory doesn't have screens and slants in his playbook, which is another issue with this offense, but i digress...]

Grothe said in an article after the Pitt game that they "looked completely different than they did on film."

that means that either 1) the coaches didn't find the right film or 2) the 'Stache developed a completely different gameplan than anything they've used this season.

in either case, we got outcoached and any script Gregory may have had [if he even had one] was clearly ineffective.

did we not say the same s#$% vs RU and Oregon last year?

so coach did you do anything about it?

• Content Count:  5,249

did we not say the same s#$% vs RU and Oregon last year?

why yes, yes we did.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I would love to see if we are able to stick to it if we do. Just wondering because the offense seems too reactive (kinda like a defense) and less strategic. We never are able to "set up" a big play because its all made up at the line of scrimmage after the defense is set. I believe that's why it is difficult to get things going in some games. Just a question and thought for today . . . .

we dont seem to have a strategic type coaching staff

Guest JulmisteForPrez

If Gregory DOES script anything, it seems like he makes a habit of faxing said script to our opponents (the decent ones, anyhow).

:nope

Archived