• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

we need a SHOVEL PASS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

i'm watching Cinci play Marshall right now, and Cinci's QB is running shovel passes...  after watching Kansas and Pitt burn us with the shovel all game long, Cinci might give us a similar look so clearly our defense needs to learn how to stop it.

but a less obvious question is why don't WE use the shovel?

it's a perfect play for Grothe, cause it can be improvised and run like a pass option out of the shotgun--- Grothe can look for a hole and hit it with his legs or pitch it to a TE, back or receiver pulling up the middle with blockers.

let's add some plays to the playbook.

• Content Count:  393
  • Days Won:  0

I agree we need to also employ the shovel pass. I don't remember ever seeing us use it. I am so upset that our defense cannot stop it. The Pitt game was not the first time in recent memory.

• Content Count:  1,037

Or how bout a traditional screen??? seriously

• Content Count:  6,574

we need some creative offensive plays and definitely need to learn to defend the shovel.  Other teams will use it more because they know we can't defend it.

• Content Count:  743

there are 100 things we could have done on offense to move the ball. instead we kept the same bs playcalling, took one shot deep because the coaches don't believe in grothe's arm and didn't run a screen until it was 3rd and 20.

• Content Count:  6,574

Matt didn't seem to have any protection last night and oc made no changes to protect him

the shovel is just an obvious play for Grothe.  it allows him to improvise and read defenses.

i also agree with more I-form.  i've been screaming that for the past 2 1/2 years.

if we have this many talented backs, why not use formations that can capitalize on their talents?

i don't mind the spread, but we can't be all spread all the time.

• Content Count:  743

the shovel is just an obvious play for Grothe.  it allows him to improvise and read defenses.

i also agree with more I-form.  i've been screaming that for the past 2 1/2 years.

if we have this many talented backs, why not use formations that can capitalize on their talents?

i don't mind the spread, but we can't be all spread all the time.

When our QB can do the things he can do with his feet the spread is the natural offense. You can still run the ball effectively with the spread. No need for an I.

When our QB can do the things he can do with his feet the spread is the natural offense. You can still run the ball effectively with the spread. No need for an I.

of course.  but it clearly isn't working well for us right now, and it's primarily because our playbook is so limited that teams can look at practically any video of us from the past couple years and tell what play we're running just by looking at the formation and personnel.

we can still be a spread-based offense while using an I-formation a few times a game.

the reason WVU was so succesful [except when they played us] the last few years is cuz they could line up in the I-form with Owen Schmitt and pound it down your neck.

we have talent and need to develop plays and work with formations that utilize them.

both Ford and Kelly are big dudes.  BBQ is a fantastic blocker.  Ced is the best TE in the league and Pupello is a freakin' gorilla out there.

why not work something in?  our power game needs WORK [see: FIU]

Archived