• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

THE 'H' WORD Heisman Talk Resumes as Grothe Improves

TyBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

148.73 passing efficiency rating

THE 'H' WORD Heisman Talk Resumes as Grothe Improves

By Tom Zebold

THE LEDGER

bilde?Site=LL&Date=20080923&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=809230420&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=250&border=0

Published: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 at 12:01 a.m.

Last Modified: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 at 12:20 a.m.

If Matt Grothe wanted to choose a slogan for a Heisman campaign this season, it could be this - "Getting wiser with age."

South Florida quarterback Matt Grothe signals touchdown after officials reviewed his third-quarter pass to wide receiver Taurus Johnson against Kansas during an NCAA college football game Friday, Sept. 12, 2008, in Tampa, Fla. Looking on is assistant coach Kevin Patrick, left. (AP Photo/Reinhold Matay)

click to enlarge South Florida quarterback Matt Grothe dives for a first down as Florida International's Anthony Gaitor makes the stop during fourth quarter action of an NCAA college football game in Miami, Saturday Sept 20, 2008.

AP Photo/Jeffrey M. Boan

But South Florida's junior quarterback probably won't be handing out pins with his name on them in a push for college football's top individual honor. He chooses to mention team success as his priority.

"It's an honor for the people that do win it, but I think the biggest thing is winning," the former Lake Gibson player said Tuesday. "Everything else will come with that."

Grothe's play on the field this season has been the reason he has to answer Heisman questions. Through four games, he has completed 65.2 percent of his throws for 916 yards and heads into Saturday's road game against North Carolina State with a 148.73 passing efficiency rating.

Grothe has thrown seven scoring passes and has been intercepted only twice while leading the No. 13 Bulls to a 4-0 start.

"I think I'm just taking more of what the defense is giving me and not trying to make so many plays," said Grothe of the difference between this season and one like 2007 when he threw 14 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. At this point last year, Grothe had thrown five touchdowns and two interceptions.

It shows the playmaker has made wise choices when the ball is in his hands.

"We've been stressing that all summer long, and all last spring and the fall is that we have to make the right decisions," said USF pass game coordinator Mike Canales. "It's ok to throw the ball away. It's ok to punt.

"Taking that attitude with it, I think he's understanding the position a lot more," Canales added.

Teammate Carlton Williams has also seen Grothe step up his game and "grow as a man" in the past few years.

"I think Grothe has been more patient as a quarterback as far as not rushing things and letting things develop," said the senior safety. "That comes with maturity. Being a starter, this his third year now, I think that's development as a football player."

Confidence is another important building block for a quarterback, and Grothe has shown it in the clutch. He threw what proved to be the game-winning touchdown pass in overtime against Central Florida on Sept. 6. A week later, he threw two of his three touchdown passes in the second half to help the Bulls complete the greatest comeback in school history - a 37-34 win over then-No.13 Kansas.

"You can see it's a tremendous difference of when he first got in there and now," said Williams of Grothe's confidence level as a starter.

As for the Heisman talk, Grothe isn't buying into it at this point.

"It's good for the school and it's good for recruiting purposes and stuff, but that's a while down the road," he said.

he needs to improve

• Content Count:  1,479
  • Days Won:  0

how many times have you written that exact phrase on this board smazza?

• Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

He is getting better and wise. However, there is not even an outside chance he will win the heisman. There are several reasons, but you put up 136 yards passing, and play the whole game, against the worst team in D1 football, not happening.

Spend all your time worrying about what's happening in the stands rather than what's going on on the field, and you'll have that.

Archived