• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

THE 'H' WORD Heisman Talk Resumes as Grothe Improves

TyBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

148.73 passing efficiency rating

THE 'H' WORD Heisman Talk Resumes as Grothe Improves

By Tom Zebold

THE LEDGER

bilde?Site=LL&Date=20080923&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=809230420&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=250&border=0

Published: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 at 12:01 a.m.

Last Modified: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 at 12:20 a.m.

If Matt Grothe wanted to choose a slogan for a Heisman campaign this season, it could be this - "Getting wiser with age."

South Florida quarterback Matt Grothe signals touchdown after officials reviewed his third-quarter pass to wide receiver Taurus Johnson against Kansas during an NCAA college football game Friday, Sept. 12, 2008, in Tampa, Fla. Looking on is assistant coach Kevin Patrick, left. (AP Photo/Reinhold Matay)

click to enlarge South Florida quarterback Matt Grothe dives for a first down as Florida International's Anthony Gaitor makes the stop during fourth quarter action of an NCAA college football game in Miami, Saturday Sept 20, 2008.

AP Photo/Jeffrey M. Boan

But South Florida's junior quarterback probably won't be handing out pins with his name on them in a push for college football's top individual honor. He chooses to mention team success as his priority.

"It's an honor for the people that do win it, but I think the biggest thing is winning," the former Lake Gibson player said Tuesday. "Everything else will come with that."

Grothe's play on the field this season has been the reason he has to answer Heisman questions. Through four games, he has completed 65.2 percent of his throws for 916 yards and heads into Saturday's road game against North Carolina State with a 148.73 passing efficiency rating.

Grothe has thrown seven scoring passes and has been intercepted only twice while leading the No. 13 Bulls to a 4-0 start.

"I think I'm just taking more of what the defense is giving me and not trying to make so many plays," said Grothe of the difference between this season and one like 2007 when he threw 14 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. At this point last year, Grothe had thrown five touchdowns and two interceptions.

It shows the playmaker has made wise choices when the ball is in his hands.

"We've been stressing that all summer long, and all last spring and the fall is that we have to make the right decisions," said USF pass game coordinator Mike Canales. "It's ok to throw the ball away. It's ok to punt.

"Taking that attitude with it, I think he's understanding the position a lot more," Canales added.

Teammate Carlton Williams has also seen Grothe step up his game and "grow as a man" in the past few years.

"I think Grothe has been more patient as a quarterback as far as not rushing things and letting things develop," said the senior safety. "That comes with maturity. Being a starter, this his third year now, I think that's development as a football player."

Confidence is another important building block for a quarterback, and Grothe has shown it in the clutch. He threw what proved to be the game-winning touchdown pass in overtime against Central Florida on Sept. 6. A week later, he threw two of his three touchdown passes in the second half to help the Bulls complete the greatest comeback in school history - a 37-34 win over then-No.13 Kansas.

"You can see it's a tremendous difference of when he first got in there and now," said Williams of Grothe's confidence level as a starter.

As for the Heisman talk, Grothe isn't buying into it at this point.

"It's good for the school and it's good for recruiting purposes and stuff, but that's a while down the road," he said.

• Content Count:  6,928

• Content Count:  1,757

He is getting better and wise. However, there is not even an outside chance he will win the heisman. There are several reasons, but you put up 136 yards passing, and play the whole game, against the worst team in D1 football, not happening.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

He is getting better and wise. However, there is not even an outside chance he will win the heisman. There are several reasons, but you put up 136 yards passing, and play the whole game, against the worst team in D1 football, not happening.

136 yards and 0 TDs.

not good.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Voters don't expect or care about big numbers against small time opponents.  If you get them, who cares?  If you don't, it's because you left the game early with a big lead or went to a running game because you didn't need to throw.  The important thing is numbers overall, and performance in the big games.  Grothe outdueled Reesing.  A couple more big game performances like that, and he'll be in the race.

I still think he has a long climb, but it's cool that he's in the conversation.

• Content Count:  1,757

Voters don't expect or care about big numbers against small time opponents.  If you get them, who cares?  If you don't, it's because you left the game early with a big lead or went to a running game because you didn't need to throw.  The important thing is numbers overall, and performance in the big games.  Grothe outdueled Reesing.  A couple more big game performances like that, and he'll be in the race.

That was my point. They do care when you play all 4 quarters

Voters don't expect or care about big numbers against small time opponents.  If you get them, who cares?  If you don't, it's because you left the game early with a big lead or went to a running game because you didn't need to throw.  The important thing is numbers overall, and performance in the big games.  Grothe outdueled Reesing.  A couple more big game performances like that, and he'll be in the race.

That was my point. They do care when you play all 4 quarters

Not against vastly inferior opponents... they will see that USF ran the ball a heck of a lot that game.  Besides, all Heisman winners have one or two off games during the year.  Moreover, this talk is one season early.  With many of the "front runners" graduating or moving on this year, Grothe may be among the few early contenders going into the 2009 season.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

But with only 22 pass attempts, they aren't going to remember in 2 months that he played all 4 quarters. If they do any serious digging into individual game stats, they will only look at big games.

I agree that he doesn't really have a chance, but I would love for him to get invited to NY for the ceremony.

Just for comparison sakes, through 4 games...

passing yards - 787

Comp % - 59.5

TD/Int - 5/2

Rush yards - 126

Rush TD - 1

passer rating - 98.4 (highest of the 4 games, I'm not smart enough to figure out the actual through 4 games)

yards - 916

Comp % - 65.2

TD/Int - 7/2

Rush - 151

Rush TD - 1

passer rating - 148.7

So, Matt's numbers aren't drastically different, +/- 150 additional passing yards and 2 TDs. He actually has 1 less attempt at this point than last year, I was shocked by that since he has gone over 40 attempts twice already this season.

These numbers aren't heisman worthy, but, if he throws for +/- 3000, 20+ TDs, <5-6 picks, keeps the comp % around 65ish, and passer rating around 130-150, and we go 12-0, I think he has to be in the conversation. If I went to UCF, I would say that with all these "ifs", you may as well call him the heisman winner now.

• Content Count:  57

passer rating - 98.4 (highest of the 4 games, I'm not smart enough to figure out the actual through 4 games)

the espn game logs show passer rating based on the NFL formula.  through four games last season his ncaa rating was 127.3.

• Content Count:  223

Doesn't matter..

Chase Daniel is going to win the Heisman this year.

Archived