• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

JUCO OL Jamar Bass

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  573
  • Days Won:  0

Point taken.  I still hope we can do better.  If this kid was a stud then he would have offers from some of the top programs all lined up...regardless if he's JUCO or not.  I've been around long enough to know that every program recruits JUCOs to some extent.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Point taken.  I still hope we can do better.  If this kid was a stud then he would have offers from some of the top programs all lined up...regardless if he's JUCO or not.  I've been around long enough to know that every program recruits JUCOs to some extent.

I know that FSU is interested in him too, but they apparently haven't offered, YET.

USF doesn't offer players based on who has offered them.

I'm sure they hope that UF, FSU and Miami doesn't offer him. You should too.  ;)

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I know that FSU is interested in him too, but they apparently haven't offered, YET.

I'm sure they hope that UF, FSU and Miami doesn't offer him. You should too.  ;)

I hope all three offer him... and he chooses USF.

I hope all three offer him... and he chooses USF.

That would be nice, but UF ALREADY took three OL away from us who we offered. One of them, from Tampa, had NO stars when they offered him and he accepted. I seriously doubt that Urban was very worried about how many stars he had and who had offered him.

• Content Count:  111

Impressive offers from us, FIU, Troy , and UAB

Keep in mind that their are players in the NFL who went to small schools as well, just because someone doesn't get offered by th big boys doesn't mean they won't be a super stud, besides we're a big boy now and we offered so that says something!

• Content Count:  637

More often than not a 5-star player is going to be better than a 2-star "undervalued" player.

I'm tired of people talking about how we find undervalued players...that's great, but to become a consistent top 10 team we need to consistently be bringing in 4 and 5-star guys. You luck out every so often with a Selvie, but more often you get a guy like Buie.

More often than not a 5-star player is going to be better than a 2-star "undervalued" player.

I'm tired of people talking about how we find undervalued players...that's great, but to become a consistent top 10 team we need to consistently be bringing in 4 and 5-star guys. You luck out every so often with a Selvie, but more often you get a guy like Buie.

Ha! Ha!

That's funny, considering that Buie was a highly rated player coming out of HS. He TURNED DOWN OFFERS FROM UF & FSU. At the time he was considered a major coup by USF. Even TODAY, a player of his caliber who turned down both of those schools to play for USF would be a big deal for us.

ARMWOOD HIGH SCHOOL: Ranked 22nd best defensive end by Rivals.com ... Ranked as 25th-best player in the state by Tampa Tribune and 39th by Orlando Sentinel ... Ranked No. 2 overall player in Tampa Bay area by St. Petersburg Times and also a member of that paper’s all-Suncoast team ... First team Class 4A all-state for state champion Armwood High ... Hilllsborough County Defensive Player of the Year by Tampa Tribune ... 44 tackles prior to state playoffs, including nine sacks and 14 tackles for loss ... Also had two caused fumbles ... Had a combined five sacks, seven tackles for loss and 12 quarterback hurries in back-to-back games against Middleton and Plant ... Coached by Sean Callahan.

• Content Count:  223

Ha! Ha!

That's funny, considering that Buie was a highly rated player coming out of HS. He TURNED DOWN OFFERS FROM UF & FSU. At the time he was considered a major coup by USF. Even TODAY, a player of his caliber who turned down both of those schools to play for USF would be a big deal for us.

ARMWOOD HIGH SCHOOL: Ranked 22nd best defensive end by Rivals.com ... Ranked as 25th-best player in the state by Tampa Tribune and 39th by Orlando Sentinel ... Ranked No. 2 overall player in Tampa Bay area by St. Petersburg Times and also a member of that paper’s all-Suncoast team ... First team Class 4A all-state for state champion Armwood High ... Hilllsborough County Defensive Player of the Year by Tampa Tribune ... 44 tackles prior to state playoffs, including nine sacks and 14 tackles for loss ... Also had two caused fumbles ... Had a combined five sacks, seven tackles for loss and 12 quarterback hurries in back-to-back games against Middleton and Plant ... Coached by Sean Callahan.

Do you work for the recruiters or do you just scour the internet all day for this stuff? LOL.

• Content Count:  4,016

Hold on, hold on....now you sound silly.  If a 2-star player we find is an "Undervalued" player, that means he is better than a two star!  You can't have it both ways!  Take George Selvie, he was a two star coming out of HS in 2005.  Yet he has more sacks, tackles, tackle for loss, and QB hurries than any of the five star DL/DE/LB in the 2005 class, and generally George is considered a top 5 NFL pick when he comes out.

SO, doesnt' that mean George is a five star player?  Rivals, and scout are fallable you know, they don't discover all the five star players on the earth.  There are Marion Barber's, and Matt Forte's, and others in the world that are great, great players but were missed.  George is an all-american, and ahead of 99% of the other 5 star players taken at his position over the last three years.

Also, Buie was very, very highly rated coming out of HS...although mama is wrong because UF and FSU didn't offer because he wasn't eligible.  Buie got into USF as a prop 48, the last of his kind at USF.  He was a sensational player, and watch him play lots of HS ball.  Think Ryne Giddens, and Buie was almost that good.  Buie has been a solid contributor but he's the polar opposite of Selvie, he was highly recruited, a highly decorated DE with lots of stars,, max emfinger had him as a 4 star, and he hasn't lived up to the Selvie.

Right now, if our guys were ranked properly you'd undoubtedly say Selvie is a five, McKenzie is a four, an Nate Allen is a four....what's funnier is all three were two star coming out of HS.  So, leavitt can get lightning in a bottle more than once.

As far as Jamar Bass goes it's not uncommon for guys at the JC level to get modest offers early on as the bigger teams spend time to evaluate and gauge their worth.  He could be a valued OT, and maybe only get 1-2-3 other BCS offers because many teams can't go JC, or won't go JC. 

I'm NOT wrong.

Just because Buie ended up being a non qualifier doesn't mean that they didn't offer him.

FSU and Florida could have enrolled him as well back then. Like us, they each had two such scholarships to give out each year.

Check out his Scout profile:

Schools of Interest:

School Interest Level Offer? Attended Camp? Visit Date Signed LOI?

South Florida Verbal Yes   None 

Florida No Interest Yes   None   

Florida State No Interest Yes   None   

Iowa No Interest Yes   None   

Miami (Fl) No Interest No   None   

Pittsburgh No Interest Yes   11/28/2003

http://southflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=359&p=8&c=1&nid=856788

Archived