• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WDAE and the Bulls:  Why are we nonexistent?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

Well...these guys don't just make it up as they go along.  The decision of what to carry is strictly a numbers function...what will the maximum amount of listeners tune into and how can I sell that time to advertisers?

There are a lot more Nole & Gator (to a lesser extent, 'Cane) fans in Tampa than there are Bulls fans.  We average about  +/-20K per home game, so that alone makes a statement of interest.  There isn't a pent up demand for Bulls football that warrants selling the advertising time to foot the bill.  

While there may be a handfull of us (board rats) who live and die by the Bulls,  we are not - by any stretch of the imagination - the lead dog in this community.  I know that there has been some sort of disconnect between DAE & USF going back many years (prior to our time with 1010).

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

If you think Duemig(thats how you spell it) is an a-hole, thats your perogative, first of all.

Secondly, if you would listen correctly, when he talks of being fans of the hometown team, he has always put out the "not in college sports" thing. Why? Because if you're an alumn of Wyoming State, then you should cheer for them 1st.....before your hometown team. Or, its your choice.

Third, Derek Sharp is the only one who consistently gives USF love. So we should like him.

Fourth, and most importantly, its not the station's "job" to talk USF football if the callers dont make them. If more USF CALLERS called in, Ian and Duemig would be pretty much forced to pay attention to USF football. But, since I've only heard about 2 USF calls all YEAR, they arent gonna waste their time.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Give me the number bigshoop and show times and I will call.  You can count on that.

www.620WDAE.com

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

This is an amusing thread, because one of the biggest issues that faces my alma mater back in Ohio is the fact that it's totally remote; there's no Athens TV market, the area is shared by the Columbus market (which dedicates all its time to OSU) and the Huntington market (which dedicates all its time to Marshall)...

However, we have a massive radio market with affiliates all over the state. So I don't know what gives here in Tampa, the simple fact that there's only one sports talk station here blows my mind. I think we had four or five back in Cleveland.

Guest wildrover

Darek is the only guy on there who consistely talks usf, only in passing but thats only because everyone else blows him off.  Dumig is an A-hole for a large list of reasons, not just that he doesn't talk usf.

Guest usf-ru

Not sure why we only have one sports radio station.   What makes it worse is they don't even have local shows throughout the day.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

Not sure why we only have one sports radio station.   What makes it worse is they don't even have local shows throughout the day.  

We have two sports stations (620 & 1470) and the Sports Chicks are  on 1010...

We have two sports stations (620 & 1470) and the Sports Chicks are  on 1010...

Please tell me you dont consider the sports chix a sports show.

Please tell me you dont consider the sports chix a knowledgable sports resourse.

Please tell me you dont listen to that godforsaken show.

Oh, and not everyone can get 1470 on their radio.

And lastly, Dan Sileo knows almost as much about sports as the Sports Chix do.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  127

Duemig is obnoxious, but I somehow wind up listening to him anyway (what choice is there?!?).   Caught him the other day while driving around, and in his own words..."There's nothing better than SEC football".  He could give a **** about USF football.

Some young guy called in and asked him about Rubin being on the Bucs practice squad and asked if he had a chance to get picked-up.  Duemig replied that he didn't know who Rubin was, except that he played for USF, and topped it off by saying there was no way that Gruden would put him on the team.  Oh yeah...he reiterated several times how he didn't know "who Rubin was".  He'd be "developed" and perhaps play somewhere else at some point, but not with the Bucs.  Oh yeah...Duemig was obviously annoyed as he wanted to talk SEC football--how dare some nut call in and ask about the Bulls!

We need to have consistently strong wins and build up our fan base before anybody on the airwaves gives us the time of day and takes us seriously!