• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oft-injured Plancher finally has his day for South Florida

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  274
  • Days Won:  0

From the NewsPress in Ft. Myers...sorry if it is a repost....

TAMPA — University of South Florida running back Moise Plancher took a handoff midway through the third quarter in Saturday's game against Tennessee-Martin and ran 34 yards for a touchdown.

For USF fans, it was the sixth touchdown in a game against an overmatched foe, but for Plancher it was much more.

The former Barron Collier standout has had a rough time since starting his career at USF back in 2005.

He went from possible starting tailback to a player who couldn't stay out of the training room to the No. 6 back in the USF attack by the time the Bulls hosted Tennessee-Martin on Saturday.

He came out of Barron Collier expecting to back up Andre Hall, USF's all-time leading rusher back in 2005. Instead, he was red-shirted that season. Plancher wasn't concerned, though, knowing that he would have four years of eligibility remaining with dibs on the starting job in 2006.

That changed in South Florida's first possession of the 2006 season against McNeese State.

Plancher carried the ball three times for 10 yards, then tore his anterior cruciate ligament after a 16-yard gain. That ended his season and USF started to develop new running backs on the way to the Bulls' first-ever bowl win.

"When I hurt my knee I never imagined it was an ACL,'' Plancher said after USF practice on Monday. "It felt like a minor bruise. The next day I found out it was more serious, but I never thought it would keep me out.''

In 2007, Plancher was still in the mix to be a starter, but he had some competition. He struggled with his knee and Mike Ford and Benjamin Williams came through as the leaders of a crowded field of backs. There also were new backs on the way as coach Jim Leavitt capitalized on the program's success.

When the 2008 spring game rolled around, Plancher knew it was his last real shot at playing time. He injured his elbow in the spring game and was put back on the shelf.

That could have been the end of his playing days, but Plancher still believed in himself as he rehabbed during the summer.

"It was so tough, and I just kept getting hurt, but I also had a lot of support,'' Plancher said. "The coaches kept telling me I could get back and I believed in it. As long as I could keep motivated, I wasn't going to quit.''

Plancher returned for camp at 100 percent, but he was listed as sixth on the depth chart. Williams and Ford shared most of the early carries in the 56-7 rout of Tennessee-Martin, but Leavitt decided to unload his bench in the second half. Plancher finally got his chance and saw daylight when he took a handoff at the UTM 34.

"I never even thought I might carry the ball,'' Plancher said. "I got in and I saw that hole open up, and I ran with about a million things on my mind. I kept going. So many things ran through my mind on the way to the end zone, but I got in and, man, it was unbelievable.''

He carried the ball more than any USF back except Williams and finished with 66 yards on eight carries. He added another touchdown later in the game.

"I didn't even know if I would get back in, but I was flying high,'' Plancher said. "I don't know where I fit in now, because the depth chart changes every day, but it feels great.''

Leavitt said it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

"After all Mo has been through, this was special,'' Leavitt said. "He's worked so hard and he deserved it.''

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080902/SPORTS/809020377/1010&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

• Content Count:  12,293

great for him.  i hope he has an even better game next week and represents the Plancher family well on that field since his cousin can't

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

great for him.  i hope he has an even better game next week and represents the Plancher family well on that field since his cousin can't

Maybe he can pull off a better tribute than the moment of silence they were unable to manage

• Content Count:  1,457

Like I said before the season began, 4-5 rushers with 700 - 800 yards a piece is the way we roll this year.

Archived