• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Are you guys in the Spurrier Sweepstakes?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,480
  • Days Won:  13

Yeah, he may come to USF to play he's been to a few of our summer camps...  oh, you meant STEVE...

I seriously doubt we would make a change at head coach -- but Spurrier would make a GREAT Offensive coordinator. :-)

Gotta like the props for CJL on the Cards' board.

I don't think so, but apparently there are those that do.

http://mb4.theinsiders.com/flouisvillefrm4.showMessage?topicID=8563.topic

I don't think we'd hire Spurrier, but his son Scotty has USF as his favorite school and may sign with us this year.

Here is the article your poster was talking about where the writer just happened to mention USF as one seeming possibility among many other schools. Even he didn't think we should hire him if we get the chance because of Leavitt:

Colleges sure to pursue Spurrier again

September 29, 2004

FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

The answer is out there. He's keeping a low profile, because talking about his past or his future would serve no purpose. But very soon, some of this nation's leading universities will be lining up to make their pitches, convinced that an investment in Steve Spurrier would be big money well spent.

Never mind that Spurrier was a failure as coach of the Washington Redskins. The same was true for Rick Pitino with the Boston Celtics. Spurrier is likely to follow the same path, the one that leads back to school.

Usually, conjecture about a team's next coach picks up speed as the fall goes along and losses pile up. But the Spurrier talk has been rampant for months now. He showed up at a golf outing in Alabama in June, and there already were questions for him about the North Carolina job and the Texas job.

What will be most interesting in the months ahead is how far some schools will be willing to go to get a shot at him. Will any winning coaches be chucked aside?

Take Texas, for example. Under Mack Brown, the Longhorns have had one of the most successful college football programs in America. In six seasons in Austin, Brown has never won fewer than nine games. The last three years, the Longhorns were 32-7. But in the battle for regional supremacy, they've come up short. They have lost four straight to Oklahoma and been slaughtered a couple of times along the way.

If the trend continues when Texas and Oklahoma meet on Oct. 9, then the Spurrier talk will pick up steam in Austin. The Longhorns might move to the head of the line.

Here's a look at some of Spurrier's potential destinations and what kind of fit he would be there:

•North Carolina -- A lot of Tar Heels fans already have John Bunting moving out and Spurrier moving in. After going 5-19 the last two seasons, Bunting at least needs a winning season. North Carolina knocked off Georgia Tech on Sept. 18 to get to 2-1, then fell to Louisville, 34-0, on Saturday. The Tar Heels' schedule is a killer, with a non-league trip for a game at nationally ranked Utah in between games with Florida State and Miami.

If this job opens, would Spurrier take it? The setting is perfect for him, and the school has the resources. But Spurrier will turn 60 before he coaches his next college game. Figuring that his next job will be his last, does he want to take on a turnaround project in a league where Miami and Florida State are way ahead and Virginia, Maryland and North Carolina State also are off in the distance?

•Texas -- You have to believe that the Longhorns, who have invested tens of millions in football in recent years, would dump Brown only if they could get Spurrier. And assuming that the check is large enough, Spurrier might ask himself one question: "Can I win it all here?" Even with his former defensive coordinator, Bob Stoops, winning up the road at Oklahoma, the answer is obvious: The Longhorns are among the elite.

•Florida -- Some Gators fans aren't giving up on the fantasy of Spurrier returning. But when Pitino left the Celtics, he didn't go back to Kentucky. (That job wasn't open.) He went to Louisville, its most bitter rival.

•South Carolina -- This is an interesting one. The Washington Post recently ran this quote from a friend of Spurrier's: "If Lou Holtz retires, like the rumors are saying he will, and Hootie Johnson offers to get Steve into Augusta, Steve could go there." Hootie Johnson is chairman of Augusta National Golf Club and a major booster of South Carolina, his alma mater. This would be a good locale for Spurrier to scratch his golfing itch.

•Tennessee -- Never mind that national title Phillip Fulmer won. That was 1998. Some alumni are getting restless. Spurrier always had fun with the Tennessee-Florida rivalry. (Famously, he said: "You can't spell Citrus without UT.") But he grew up just up the road from Knoxville in Johnson City.

•Big East -- No league could use Spurrier's services more than the post-Miami Big East. And nobody knows the value of marquee coaches more than this league, which rose on the names of its basketball coaches. Maybe someone can create a University of Spurrier.

Would he go to Syracuse, where Paul Pasqualoni is in trouble after going 10-14 over the last two seasons? Well, the Redskins are more likely to dump Joe Gibbs and bring Spurrier back than Spurrier is to settle in Syracuse. The school has the right kind of football program, but it's in the wrong climate.

One school joining the Big East might appeal to Spurrier: South Florida. Tampa? Great. Could he get players? In the middle of Florida? Of course. Could he get to a national title game? The Big East still has its spot in the Bowl Championship Series.

There is one caveat. The job isn't open -- and shouldn't be. Jim Leavitt started the program from scratch in 1997 and has had six straight winning seasons.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

That is just bad journalism. On the other hand, maybe one of Spurriers contacts/supporters are starting a propaganda campaign.

Interesting.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Spurrier Sweepstakes?  Does he come to your door with a big check?

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  85
  • Days Won:  0

What is the difference between Steve Spurrier and a litter of puppies?

Eventually, the puppies will grow up and stop whining!

If you have one gun with two bullets, and Steve Spurrier, Hussein, and Castro in a room, what do

you do?

Shoot Spurrier twice to make sure the jerk is dead.

A woman wants a sophisticated sports car, saved and saved and scrimped and after 5 years she finally had enough money and credit to purchase this special car. So, she buys the car with all the fancy gear and takes it out for a ride, but with all the buttons she can't find the radio controls. She pushes every button on the console but....no luck.

So she goes back to the dealership and complains about there being no radio, and the salesman

says: on a car like this, the radio has to be very very special....in fact, it is voice activated. Girl asks:

how do you get it to work? Salesman says: Radio on: And from a hidden speaker the radio comes

on and says what station? Sales guy says: Rock music: Right there the radio plays Rolling Stones

record from WKGR; Guy says: County music: Right there the radio plays Garth Brooks on

WIRK;Guy says: Alternative: Radio plays Nirvana from WBZ.

The girl is ecstatic. Takes the car out. Says: Oldies: On comes WBCH

and Bachman Tuner Overdrive.

Just then, a car cuts in front of the girl, causes her to screech to a halt. She says: Idiot! From the

radio:

Welcome to the Steve Spurrier Show!

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

I'm a Gator fan and loved Spurrier's time there, but I'm satisfied now with Zook, as I see great things coming from that program.  I think it would be a mistake for Florida to go back to Spurrier.

As for my Bulls,  I like CJL and think he should be here for a long time, but I would like to see the team more disciplined (which probably  wouldn't happen under Spurrier as the Gators always had the same stupid penalties that we do)

Let's keep the man we have as head coach and let him win a national championship with the program he built from just an idea.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I'm a Gator fan and loved Spurrier's time there, but I'm satisfied now with Zook, as I see great things coming from that program.  I think it would be a mistake for Florida to go back to Spurrier.

As for my Bulls,  I like CJL and think he should be here for a long time, but I would like to see the team more disciplined (which probably  wouldn't happen under Spurrier as the Gators always had the same stupid penalties that we do)

Let's keep the man we have as head coach and let him win a national championship with the program he built from just an idea.

Here, here!!