• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hillsborough High QB Decides Against USF

It will be intetesting to see whether Gachette is redshirted this year. I don't know how far along he is, but I do know he is being groomed at QB by PJ according to a recent article.

I assume Denson ONLY transferred to USF from Auburn because he's been given a promise to get a real shot at QB. I understand that he's been practicing with the team, so he's much further along than Grothe or Hill.

So, if PJ continues to improve this year, I expect he will still be number one next year and Gachette and Denson will be vying for the #2 spot. Of course, that could change somewhat if Grothe or Hilll separate themselves from the pack over the summer, but even so I don't see either of them starting with NO experience in our first game in 2005.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

of course we shouldn't give up on him... he is a great HS QB and shows major interest in us.   He realizes he committed too early.  That doesn't mean he won't realize in the next year and a half that we are the right choice anyway.

I posted this on another thread and I'll post here:

Getting a junior to committ, is like having a stripper tell you, your sexy.  It makes you feel good, but really doesn't mean anything.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

having a stripper tell you, your sexy.  It makes you feel good, but really doesn't mean anything.

You don't know how much you just hurt me  :(

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

You don't know how much you just hurt me  :(

Well, uh, for you, they meant it.  I mean for everyone else.

Guest HowieP1

Follow up story on Fayson from St Pete Times:

CHANGE OF HEART: When Hillsborough junior quarterback Jarred Fayson committed to USF this summer, Terriers coach Earl Garcia thought the move was a bit premature. So he wasn't surprised to hear the news Fayson had backed off the commitment.

"He shouldn't have committed in the first place," Garcia said. "I haven't had an 11th-grader commit before. I don't see the advantage for either the institution or the player to commit early. Personally, I think South Florida would be a great place, but I try to stay out of it unless players ask me."

Since announcing the commitment to USF, Fayson has received scholarship offers from a handful of other schools, Garcia said. The player now plans to look at all of his options. USF remains in the picture.

"He's got time," Garcia said.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/09/30/Sports/Only_the_elite_welcom.shtml

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Fayson is a good kid, and a good player.  Coach G knows what he's talking about, if he and Joe Sipps have anything to say about it Fayson will be at USF.

First, as long as G runs the veer at Hills High, Fayson's options at QB at the 1-A level are going to be severely limited.  Two, I've seen Fayson play numerous times, he's a phenomenal athlete, nice size, but there is no way in hell he's playing as a freshman, or beating out PJ.  Fayson's got a lot of work to do.

Relax, he's a junior, and Coach G's article in the Times was damage control.  I'm sure he had conversations with the USF staff ;D , and things were set right.  It's an honor to get a junior to commit, but remember he's still 16 year's old.  Coach G's become a big Leavitt fan, and in the end wait until Ronnie McCollough, Ponton, and other HH guys get in his ear.  

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we can do better than him

we should pas on him

Guest HowieP1

Preps

Aptitude without attitude

By KEITH NIEBUHR, Times Staff Writer

Published October 1, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - As Jarred Fayson and his mother drove to the mall to find some shoes, he could tell something was wrong. They had just been to the doctor's office, a place he never liked to go. His mother looked different and was acting strange.

Then she started to cry.

"She just turned to me and told me what was going on," said Fayson, Hillsborough's standout quarterback. "She said, "I've been diagnosed with breast cancer.' "

Tears began to flow from the shaken son's eyes.

Carla Powell was more than a mother, she was the only parent Fayson had known. In a tight-knit family, Powell was the sole provider to Fayson and his older brother, Arius. Through thick and thin, she had been there, and suddenly the possibility existed that the end could come.

"It was scary," Fayson said.

Three years later, Powell has won the war. Surgery removed all of the cancer, and she attends all of her son's games. Fayson, too, is doing quite well, having received scholarship offers from schools such as South Florida, Central Florida, Syracuse and Duke, though he is only a junior.

Folks at Hillsborough rave about his raw ability, and say Fayson is a teen without an attitude. Coach Earl Garcia calls his ego "nonexistent."

"Just from watching sports I didn't like the unsportsmanlike conducts," Powell said. "I told Jarred that any sports he wanted to take part in, I'd be right there with him, but I would not tolerate that."

When asked if her son had ever broken her rule, Powell was quick to respond. "No," she said.

Fayson arrived at Hillsborough a 5-foot-10, 130-pound freshman. Today he's 6-1, 190 and one of the area's most dangerous players. "He can do it all," said teammate and long-time friend Joshua Sams.

Fayson made varsity as a ninth-grade backup. Instead of slowly learning the ropes, he jumped right in, listened closely to coaches and studied tape of himself practicing three- and- five-step drops. He scored four touchdowns for the Terriers that fall, then became the starter a year ago, leading his squad to a 10-3 season by throwing 1,202 yards and seven TDs.

"Athleticism only takes you so far," Garcia said. "The thing that Jarred has is the intangible that he really enjoys preparing for the game. That's what sets him apart. He likes watching video, and he's a 12-month-in-the-weightroom kind of guy. He's the real deal."

Hillsborough is 3-0 entering tonight's game at Chamberlain, and Fayson is a big part of the equation. His arm is strong and accurate and he is the fastest player on the team. But Sams said Fayson's smarts are his greatest asset, and Garcia agrees.

"He's refreshing," Garcia said. "He's not caught up in all (the hype). I find mail in his locker (from colleges) that's unopened. He's very centered around family. ... He knows football is not the only thing in his life."

For that mentality, Fayson thanks his mother. Powell will be easy to spot tonight in the stands. She's the one who will be wearing a Terriers jersey with her son's No. 11 on it.

"I pretty much just sit there and watch the plays," Powell said. "I'm still learning the game. I like the touchdowns and I like the passes. I like when he throws those long ones, the Hail Mary passes."

Keith Niebuhr can be reached at 226-3350 or e-mail niebuhr@sptimes.com

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/10/01/Sports/Aptitude_without_atti.shtml

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

"the naked city

a thousand stories"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

I really wish the fans on this board would mellow out a little when it comes to stuff like this. We seem to take this stuff so personally. The fact is simple-- he shouldn't have made a commit so early to anyone, let alone the Bulls. He has a lot of playing and growing to do still. Some of the comments may seem like he has an attitude problem. But let's be realistic-- this kid could see some offers from the Big 3 and should consider them if he does. He also has offers from out of state teams already as well.

I was surprised to see a Junior commit to anyone-- that is rare. But at the same time-- I'm glad he gave this matter some thought and decided to make the decision later. If he becomes a Bull-- great. If he doesn't, I wish him well in his career. That's the type of approach we fnas should have when it comes to recruiting. Hating on some kid because he changed his mind just makes us look emotionally unstable. We are still in the mix and if CJL and company want this kid-- let's let them deal with the situation and stop belittling someone who I can assume very few if any of us have ever even met personally.