• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WORST OFFICIATING EVER!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

Did we watch the same game?  These refs didn't even know where to spot the ball!  The Bulls may have made a lot of bad penalties, but lets not allow the refs make it worse.

If you are referring to the 2 TCU kickoffs out of bounds and the confusion on where to spot the ball - the refs got it right both times.

The ball is not automatically spotted at the 35 - the rule reads that it is spotted x yards from the point of kickoff.  Because of the Bulls penalty on the first kickoff, the ball was correctly spotted at the 25.  

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585

If you are referring to the 2 TCU kickoffs out of bounds and the confusion on where to spot the ball - the refs got it right both times.

The ball is not automatically spotted at the 35 - the rule reads that it is spotted x yards from the point of kickoff.  Because of the Bulls penalty on the first kickoff, the ball was correctly spotted at the 25.  

I thought they had that part right, but why was the previous kickoff rekicked when USF was guilty of holding (I believe, may have been a block in the back) on the previous kick-off?  That is supposed to be a 10 yard penalty from the spot of the foul and USF takes possession.  I've never seen that rekicked before.  

USFFan

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,470
  • Days Won:  13

I thought they had that part right, but why was the previous kickoff rekicked when USF was guilty of holding (I believe, may have been a block in the back) on the previous kick-off?  That is supposed to be a 10 yard penalty from the spot of the foul and USF takes possession.  I've never seen that rekicked before.  

USFFan

USF didn't hold on that kick, they were offsides.  TCU had the option of taking the result of the return (which was like the 30 yard line) or rekicking from the 40 instead of the 35.  Obviously TCU had thought they could stop USF short of the 30, or they would not have re-kicked the ball.  When it went out of bounds, the USF penalty actually gave us a positive five-yards.

USF didn't hold on that kick, they were offsides.  TCU had the option of taking the result of the return (which was like the 30 yard line) or rekicking from the 40 instead of the 35.  Obviously TCU had thought they could stop USF short of the 30, or they would not have re-kicked the ball.  When it went out of bounds, the USF penalty actually gave us a positive five-yards.

The penalty was not announced as offsides, it was either a hold or a block in the back.  It was marked off as a 10 yard penalty, and TCU kicked from the 45 yard line.  He then kicked it out of bounds, which is why USF took over on the 25 (not the 30) after the kick.  

USFFan

The penalty was not announced as offsides, it was either a hold or a block in the back.  It was marked off as a 10 yard penalty, and TCU kicked from the 45 yard line.  He then kicked it out of bounds, which is why USF took over on the 25 (not the 30) after the kick.  

USFFan

Okay -- I read the play by play on GoUSFBulls.com and I was wrong.

My guess is that the holding occurred before USF took possession - I don't recall how the kick played out, but if it bounced or took a few seconds for the returner to catch it, it's possible.  If that is the case, then the penalty would be enforced from the previous spot - i.e. the 35 yard line.

As for enfocement of the out-of-bounds...

From the rulebook:

RULE 6 - Kicks

SECTION 2. Free Kick Out of Bounds

ARTICLE 1. A free kick out of bounds between the goal lines untouched by an inbounds player of Team B is a foul (A.R. 6-2-1-I-IV).

PENALTYâ€â€Live-ball foul. Five yards from the previous spot or the receiving team may put the ball in play 30 yards beyond Team A’s restraining line at the inbounds spot [s19].

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  468

however,usf has a history of its players playing undisciplined with no adjustments from the coaching staff

I'm glad someone else said this about undisciplined & no adjustments from the coaching staff. I put a thread on here after the game Saturday, but deleted it because I didn't want to take anything away from an unbelievable win.

I couldn't believe the amount of penalties, and put a quote in the thread where Don Shula once stated that you could tell how good a coach was by the amount of penalties his team had weekly.

But, after reading this thread I see where some of you feel that it was bad officiating. It's impossible to tell when you listen to the game instead of watch it. So, I'm giving you all the benefit of the doubt.

But, it's something to think about when we do seem to have a huge number of penalties each week.

Okay -- I read the play by play on GoUSFBulls.com and I was wrong.

My guess is that the holding occurred before USF took possession - I don't recall how the kick played out, but if it bounced or took a few seconds for the returner to catch it, it's possible.  If that is the case, then the penalty would be enforced from the previous spot - i.e. the 35 yard line.

As for enfocement of the out-of-bounds...

From the rulebook:

Yes, I knew about the out-of-bounds rule, but I've never seen a blocking foul enforced as a re-kick.  

USFFan

USFFan -- it would be enforced that way only if penalty occured before the receiving team actually gains possession of the kick -- this is true of punts, safety free kicks, and technically field goals as well.