• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bowden open to FAU-FSU matchup

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

Home > FAU Sports > Archives > 2008 > July > 18 > Entry

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/faublog/entries/2008/07/18/bowden_open_to_faufsu_matchup.html

Bowden open to FAU-FSU matchup

By mnelson@pbpost.com | Friday, July 18, 2008, 03:17 PM

TAMPA - Florida Atlantic coach Howard Schnellenberger spoke Thursday at the Florida Sports Writers Association Media Days at the Tampa Marriott Waterside, but there was still FAU news from here on Friday.

The last speaker of the two-day event was Florida State coach Bobby Bowden, who said he is open to the idea of playing Florida Atlantic and has actually had preliminary discussions with Schnellenberger about a game.

“We would be receptive to that,†Bowden said. “The only reason you would be hesitant is that it builds their credibility.â€Â

Last season Schnellenberger told me he had called FSU about a game but didn’t get a call back from Bowden.

Now Bowden said he is the one waiting for a call.

“He called me and we talked about it,†Bowden said. “He was supposed to call me back about it.â€Â

Maybe if Bowden and Schnellenberger can quit playing phone-tag the Seminoles and Owls could meet on the field.

Actually, it’s not that simple. FAU’s future schedules are filling up, but there are slots available.

Here’s what FAU has on tap in the coming years:

2009 - at Nebraska, at UAB, at USF

2010 - vs. Michigan State, at UAB, at Texas, at USF

2011 - vs. UAB, at Florida, at Michigan State

It would be good to see Schnellenberger and Bowden, who had some good battles in UM-FSU games the early 1980s, facing off again and it sounds like the ball may be in FAU’s court.

However, that was the case with Miami, which is interested in playing the Owls, but not willing to pay the kind of money FAU can get by playing Texas and Nebraska.

Since there isn’t too much dialogue between FAU and FSU, who knows what the Seminoles would offer, but at least the two schools seem interested in setting up a game.

Maybe St. Bobby will get on the phone with CJL before he leaves too... :)

EDIT: Thought this was current but just noticed this article is almost a month old. Sorry about that...

• Content Count:  2,239

Both coaches are old rivals who respect each other, so those two playing doesn't surprise me.  FIU, UCF and USF do not have an in on getting Bowden willing to play.

• Content Count:  5,241

Yea, he said that about FSU. But all he does is collect donors money and help recruit while wondering the sidelines looking for geritol.

• Content Count:  398

Both coaches are old rivals who respect each other, so those two playing doesn't surprise me.  FIU, UCF and USF do not have an in on getting Bowden willing to play.

That is sad though. Why won't Bowden play any of us, specifically USF? (Maybe this has been covered before, but remind me, please.)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,626
  • Days Won:  424

FIU, UCF and USF do not have an in on getting Bowden willing to play.

UCF got their shot at Bowden...

• Content Count:  1,260

That was at the beginning of the Culpepper era...but pre-Div 1-AA...pre-O'Leary...and pre-new uniforms. Surely if that game were played today, Bowden and the boys would be overwhelmed by UCiF's "shiny new campus" power....  ;D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,626
  • Days Won:  424

That was at the beginning of the Culpepper era...but pre-Div 1-AA...pre-O'Leary...and pre-new uniforms. Surely if that game were played today, Bowden and the boys would be overwhelmed by UCiF's "shiny new campus" power....  ;D

That UCF team would probably kick this UCF's team butt ...... It's moral victories were a lot more impressive than this era's if I remember correctly from the squawking they used to do about those days.

• Content Count:  711

Actually it was pre-1-A...our last year in 1-AA.  I was at that game...FSU was #1.  It was a fun trip, too...our biggest game we ever played up to that point, for sure.

• Content Count:  1,894

I think that FAU will obviously get destroyed by FSU. They will have to play in Tallahasse and FAU will get crushed. Bowden play usf right now when we are playing this good?no he will wait till we are rebuilding and try to beat us. There is no reason to play FSU right now anyway. I know people want to see that matchup but let's stick with Miami and worry about Florida first. If we beat Miami and Florida we don't need to worry about FSU because people will consider us the better team by default.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Actually it was pre-1-A...our last year in 1-AA.  I was at that game...FSU was #1.  It was a fun trip, too...our biggest game we ever played up to that point, for sure.

Up to that point?  I think it's still far and away the biggest game UCF has ever played.

Archived