• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

trib today on kicking game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

Key componenet to the kicking game is the holder.  Now that Severino is gone anyone have any clue who will be holding?

Delbert will probably start the season as the kicker.  He finished the year 9 of 10 I believe in FGs and only missed 1 PAT for the year..  Hopefully he has improved to be more consistent.  If not let one of the others have a shot. 

• Backup QB Grant Gregory will be the holder on field goals this season.

• Content Count:  1,254
  • Days Won:  0

wasn't Delbert's 56-yarder during the 2006 season, during the 'Cuse game IIRC?

That's the thing.  Delbert can kick.  He has a problem with his accuracy.  Sure we could go with a guy that could make 25 yarders easily, but hell that's a FG off the 8-yd line...

If Delbert can work on his accuracy he'll be a monster.  That 56 yard FG as I remember still had some clearance room. 

He did finish the season strong (though he was used very conservatively).  Hopefully he'll come back fired up.

I'll take someone who can make it from 40 in any day over someone who goes 19-29 and makes a 56 yard FG in a blowout against Syracuse.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

wasn't Delbert's 56-yarder during the 2006 season, during the 'Cuse game IIRC?

That's the thing.  Delbert can kick.  He has a problem with his accuracy.  Sure we could go with a guy that could make 25 yarders easily, but hell that's a FG off the 8-yd line...

If Delbert can work on his accuracy he'll be a monster.  That 56 yard FG as I remember still had some clearance room. 

He did finish the season strong (though he was used very conservatively).  Hopefully he'll come back fired up.

I'll take someone who can make it from 40 in any day over someone who goes 19-29 and makes a 56 yard FG in a blowout against Syracuse.

I don't think anyone would disagree with you, but we didn't have that option.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  154

there is competition in camp and that is great-- if we can find a better option at place kicker-- that is fine.

Delbert is our punter though-- hands down.

personally--- I think we did something kind of foolish last season in pre-season drills. Based on that 56 yarder, COach Leavitt seemed to have focused on length more so than accuracy as many of those pre-practice special teams drills seemed to be about can Delbert kick a 60+ yarder. Then suddenly-- Delbert has a groin injury going into the season.

I don't know if the stress of trying those extra long kicks was the main factor-- but it seemed silly in retrospect to focus on the extreme FG try versus the normal 30-40 yarder that are so necessary-- or better yet-- the ones from extreme angles--- which were clearly an achilles heal at AUburn.

Archived