• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPN College Football Live | Army-Navy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

I wouldnt wanna play army or navy because

1. weak teams

2. I dont want to yell whatever offensive insult runs off my tongue against the people serving our country

• Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know if anyone remembers but Navy gets like 300 yards per game rushing. They are always up there in yards per game they just don't throw the ball at all. Their qb has a terrible arm. They run alot of different options.

Army we have some history with so I wouldn't mind beating up on them for old time sake.

• Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Watching a NAVY game is SO FRIGGIN BORING!!!!!  You know they're gonna play Harlem Globetrotters with the ball. 

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

Adding Army or Navy is a bad choice. There are plenty of other schools our there to find.

From Mark Schalabch on ESPN:

Big East has no plans to add Army, Navy

July 28, 2008 8:21 PM

Newport, R.I. -- A Big East official told me Monday the league has no plans to add Army or Navy as members.

The New York Post reported Monday the Big East explored the possibility of adding the Black Knights and Midshipmen as pseudo-members, in which the service academies would play four current league schools in rotating seasons. Army and Navy both play college football as independents.

The Big East official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the league "had discussions with Army and Navy several months ago, but there are currently no plans to move forward."

False alarm in the Big East

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- NO.

No, no, no.

No, no, no, no, no.

Thus came the response from Big East officials over a New York Post report that the league is, in headline-speak, "eyeing Army, Navy deal.''

"There's nothing to it,'' said Big East associate commissioner John Paquette. "I was surprised to see it.

"We've been down this path before.''

Indeed, a year ago Big East officials did have extensive conversations with Army and Navy. The floated idea had the service academies playing four games apiece against Big East teams. The setup would have, essentially, given the league another member in regard to scheduling.

Well, Navy nibbled, but Army did not. WVU athletic director Ed Pastilong surely was disappointed because when the idea first surfaced, he called it an "option that deserves serious consideration.''

But the option wasn't picked up. Last year, or this.

"I talked to [big East commissioner] Michael [Tranghese] about it and he said there's nothing there,'' Paquette said.

The appeal of an association with Army and Navy is help for Big East teams trying mightily to fill schedules in these days of 12-game seasons.

"We'd certainly welcome that," said WVU associate athletic director Mike Parsons on Monday. "We have to have seven home games a year regardless.''

That seems to be shaping up for the Mountaineers, but at a cost.

Next season, WVU will host three league teams as well as Colorado, Marshall and Liberty. In 2010, four Big East teams are in Morgantown as well as Maryland and Michigan State. Coastal Carolina is reported to be the seventh, but Parsons said that's "not a done deal yet.''

In 2011, it's back to three home Big East games with Marshall and Michigan State visiting. Four Big East home games and visits from Marshall and Florida State put WVU close to the magic seven in 2012.

"We'll end up with seven [home] games through 2012 - at least," Parsons said. "After that it's hit-and-miss, but we have to be at seven. We need to be there.''

He said an Army-Navy deal would be a godsend because "guarantees [for one-and-done deals] are getting off the charts. They're getting ridiculous.''

Link

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Man, how terrible would this Army and Navy playing 4 Big East teams a year be? Why can't we go after some quality and upcoming programs? FAU perhaps?

While Army and Navy might not be winning programs (although Navy has done pretty well for itself as of late), they are marquee names that bring out fans.

Would we have to go to Army?  Amy's a team you sign 2-1 or 1-0 deals with.  It's crappy to have to play away games there.

I'm ok with Navy.  I'm biased though.  One of my good buddies went there so I know more than I should about Navy.

I went to our first C-USA game at Army and West Point is one of the most beautiful locations and campuses I've been to.  Plus, it's an easy drive from NYC and all of the things to do there. 

I'm sure App State and TN-Martin have beautiful campuses as well.  It doesn't change the fact Army is not a team you give 1-1 deals.  Yeah it may be beautiful, but I want two home games to play there.

Yes I'd say the level of competition is a huge factor.  Maybe Army won’t need the cred to sign a 2-1, but I wouldn't play them without a 2-1. 

Archived