• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Women’s Tennis to Host USF Invitational

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  0

TAMPA, FLA. - The University of South Florida women’s tennis team will play in its first competition of the 2003-04 season when it hosts the USF Invitational starting at 10 a.m. on Sept. 23 at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts.

During the three-day invitational, the Bulls will be facing Troy State (Thurs 10 a.m.), UCF (Fri. 10 a.m.) and FIU (Sat. 10 a.m.). In the two years head coach Gigi Fernandez has been with the program, the Bulls have not been able to collect wins against UCF or FIU.

“We are looking to redeem those losses against these tough teams,†Fernandez said. “Our team is getting stronger each year and I think this will be the year that we start beating these Florida schools.â€Â

During fall competition, Fernandez keeps a close eye on her team to see where she will position them in the spring line-up.

“I like to be involved in tournaments as early as possible to get the freshmen involved in what college tennis is all about,†Fernandez said.†It also gives practice a bigger sense of urgency when you know competition is lurking ahead.â€Â

Joining a team of five returning members will be Liz Cruz, a freshman from San Salvador, El Salvador.

“I will be looking very closely at our freshman (Liz Cruz), as she is the only player I don’t know very well,†Fernandez commented. “After this tournament, I will have a fairly good idea of where she will play in the line-up.â€Â

In other news, sophomore Gabriela Duch received a preseason ranking of 97 by the ITA on Monday. This is the second-straight year she has received a preseason ranking. Last year Duch was ranked as high as 93 while going 19-13 playing primarily in the No. 1 singles position.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

PICTURES? ...............