• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A Message from Head Coach Ken Eriksen

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,158
  • Days Won:  0

Bullspen.com

I am flattered that there are Bulls fans out there that recognize the need for our young women to play in a top notch facility. If you log onto www.nfca.org and go to the team’s websites you can see what we have been recruiting against for the last ten years. Check out Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Louisville, Notre Dame, UNC-Greensboro, to name just a few. The arguments that we are not an SEC program doesn’t hold water with me and I know it doesn’t with you. I also know it doesn’t with our AD. Doug and the development office here at USF have been diligently busting their cans to secure the finances to build OUR new stadium. Having played at a glorified recreation field the past 24 years and having gone as far as we have into the NCAA’s is nothing short of remarkable for our young athletes. They did not come here because of a facility. They came here to be a Bull and everything that that encompasses. It will happen!!! Obviously not soon enough for me (which was yesterday) but it will. It is one of the reason’s I have remained at USF. I believe in what is happening here and I want to see all of the USF family reap the benefits of being “The Florida†school that is on everyone’s lips across the nation. We are on our way.

I challenge the newspapers in our area to step up and HELP get the ball rolling in the community. The editors of both papers hopefully understand that this is THEIR university also, even if they went to school someplace else. It is about time they took ownership of their HOMETOWN NCAA DIVISION I Institution and not only cover us but also become fans of ours not investigative adversaries. Together we can become successful both on and off the field. It is a smart business move.

I am humbled by all of your generosity in facilitating a starting point for our “in-house†fundraising stadium campaign. My math has everyone donating an average of $84.60. Boy if the entire student population here did that we would have around $3.9 million to go along with the money being requested by our fundraisers. That is about $2.82 a week during the school year. Just a thought.

With baseball and softball being slated to go up side by side, the possibilities of a first class complex for both sports would be endless. I thank all of you again and hopefully we can meet at some of our games in the future. Go Bulls.

Coach Eriksen USF ‘84

Coach Eriksen

• Content Count:  12,293

nice letter.  and when he breaks it down to 2.82 a week for the students its crazy.

why cant they set up donation cans at the local restruants on campus.  is that allowed?  something as simple as a coffee can at the counter where students can drop their left over change and a sign that shows its going torwards the softball and baseball programs.

can this be this done?  places like the burger king near cooper hall or in the marshall center dining area, bookstore, etc.

i know in any state run instition right now there are thousands of programs that need additional funding but i think we would all agree that athletics is the one that gives the most back to the university in terms of national recognition.

just think, if it was USF playing instead of Texas A&M or Arizona St this past week in the college world seriesn ESPN primetime, how many young women all around the country would take notice in USF and look into attending?

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

i am touched

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I wish every Bulls fan could spend some time with Ken. I think it is easy to lump him in with all of our other coaches, but we all need to remember that he chose to be a Bull when he was making a decision on where to play baseball. He truly bleeds green and gold.

Though he says that his recruits are coming to USF to be a Bull, I would have to say that 99% of them are coming to play softball for Ken Eriksen. USF cannot afford to lose him any more than we could afford to lose Leavitt.

Rezz, I like your idea, get some help around town. Beef O'Brady's used to be very softball friendly as well as the Clubhouse. The softball program also puts on a golf tourney every year, always a great time, when you register, throw some extra money in there for the stadium fund.

• Content Count:  2,363

I truly appreciate Coach writing that. I donated and I'd be glad to do it again, but this sort of recognition from the coach himself goes a long way as well.

As a current UNCG employee, I'm pleased to hear our stadium is among the models put forth.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

I'm thankful for the open letter to the board in which Coach recognizes the support.  It would have been nice to do more, but it's a start.  He's certainly not shy in calling on the newspapers, students and community to back this effort and USF.  It sure would be nice to see.  If everyone gave a little bit, some good things could happen.  Those wishing to make major gifts can do so as well through Eric and the group at USF.  It'd just be nice to see some momentum going forward and some enlightenment and awakening of the community.

Thanks for the time Coach.  And thanks to the people here that contributed and participated in the fund raising effort.

I'll pin this to the top for all TheBullsPen.com members and guests to read.

The original thread is here

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Coach Eriksen is a class act. 

• Content Count:  4,879

Still waiting to see Greg's promised blog entry directing his readers to the opportuinty to add to our total.

• Content Count:  12,293

Still waiting to see Greg's promised blog entry directing his readers to the opportuinty to add to our total.

arent all of Greg's blog readers members of this site anyways....

;D

Archived