• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Lightning FIRED Tortella

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

Triple B, why don't you tell us how you really feel about Barry Melrose?  8)

It'd be like bringing Jerry Glanville in to coach a current NFL team ...... of course, they might bring him in and the Bolts go on a huge tear which, in that case, would make the first time I've ever been wrong about something..... but worth it.   ;)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pascobull

I can't believe people are shocked or surprised by this. This is the NHL. Coaches get fired for having a bad week. Its part of the game and even though I liked him a lot its clear a fresh start is needed by everyone.

What happened to Kevin Constantine? He had some nice success with San Jose and Pittsburgh then disappeared after I believe he was one of the 333330449 coaches fired by the Devils in the last 10 years.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  500
  • Days Won:  0

They needed someone to take it out on, Torts was an easy target. Even current players say it is a bad move. Inside info has him going to the Sharks (as previously mentioned) which will be good for them because they had the talent to win the cup, just not the coaching they needed. What the Lightning need is to get a starting goalie (not all the back ups they had this season- none of them should be starters), get some veteran defensemen and go from there. Its hard to coach a team that has several weak large weak spots (goal and D)

I hope they dont pick up Melrose (which is the talk in the Lightning offices right now which makes me cringe), even Paul Maurice (fired Toronto coach) would be better down here than him.

Torts lost control of the team a long time ago. He threw every other player under the bus, and he never took responsibility for his actions. As for the holes....

Mike Smith will be the real deal. He has the size and skills to be a wall back there. Danny Boyle missed how many games last season with the wrist injury? He will be back to 100% and be a catylyst at the blue line. Ranger and Picard are young studs who play both ways. OB is a blue collar man who defends his teammates. Luckowhich is the vet, Lundin was on the young stars game. Then you have Matt Smaby 6-5 211 lbs and Vladimir Mahilik 6'8 242 lbs who are two gigantic defensemen who will be NHL ready next season.

• Content Count:  552

Mike Smith has another 2 years or so before he can be a starting goalie, then he will be the real deal- until then the Lightning need to go get a starting goalie from some where. Boyle's freak accident hurt the defense, when a veteran defensemen goes out like that and misses the whole season it hurts- he is still rehabbing it add more stregthn so hopefully he is 100% (drs have stated with the surgery it is hard to have 100% of what you had, though you can get close) Ranger and Picard will be good, but as you stated they are young- they turned over more than they should, and did things in their zone that is because of their inexpierence, they will be good after they get some more time under their belts.

I believe because of the age of the defense, that they will be a team to compete with in a two years or so, but as of now with the goalie situation and the defense situation last year- they need either wait to get the expierence these players need or acquire some to balance it out in the back.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

ugh, looks to be finally official....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3457480

I guess now we just sit back and see how if our worst fears materialize ..... One thing I am happy about, though, is Maclean not being involved anywhere. That may have been worse than Melrose coaching.

• Content Count:  3,078

what style of play does melrose's teams play?

who knows, the game has changed so much in the last 12 years there is no telling

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

what style of play does melrose's teams play?

who knows, the game has changed so much in the last 12 years there is no telling

i heard he likes to play trap city

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

You guys make sure and let me know when Mullet Night at St. Pete Times Forum is, I am there.

Seirously though, I am not excited about this hire - but give the guy a chance.  Lightning have been inconsistent since the end of the strike so I can't totally disagree that it is time for a new coach.

Archived