• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jose Fernandez

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,019
  • Days Won:  469

We had a men's coach with an exceptional recruiting record ...?

Greenie had a Top25 and a Top40 class as I recall.  Certainly not enough to achieve the high expectations he brought to the program, but he was able to recruit initially.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,594
  • Days Won:  424

Greenie had a Top25 and a Top40 class as I recall.  Certainly not enough to achieve the high expectations he brought to the program, but he was able to recruit initially.

I guess "exceptional" is relative and when compared with the rest of our men's hoop recruiting classes, Seth's classes would fall under that classification .......... I guess. Those were my pre-Internet days so I wasn't really that aware of recruiting rankings back then. Is there somewhere to go and find those old rankings? ........ not that I'm doubting your word or anything.  ::)

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  66,086
  • Days Won:  172

so who were top 25 players recruited

so who were top 25 players recruited

I'll have to dig up a media guide I suppose.  But the two classes that received notice were his first with Chonsey Asbury, Raheem Brown (hard to remember the names now), Haven Jackson, and two others.

The other class I believe was the one with B.B. and Altron. 

• Content Count:  1,433
  • Days Won:  0

seriously...i don't remember that...a top 25 and top 40 class?

greenberg has not been missed by me in spite of less than stellar success

it takes a long time to un-do what was done and mccullum sure didnt help that

• Content Count:  1,433

And back to the topic...I would hate to see Jose' go.  He has been a winner and he brought a team from the dead to a point of respect.

Plus....UNLV has one of the ugliest campuses in the U.S.  But hey, Vegas is Vegas.

• Content Count:  760

I can't believe so many people could care less. Just because it WBB doesn't mean we shouldn't care. We want to build ALL of our sports to compete at the national level. He has done a great job and I'd hate to see him go. I think he could really continue to build here and bring in more and more good recruits.

I'll have to dig up a media guide I suppose.  But the two classes that received notice were his first with Chonsey Asbury, Raheem Brown (hard to remember the names now), Haven Jackson, and two others.

The other class I believe was the one with B.B. and Altron. 

If that's true and we had two top 40 recruiting classes, I need to stop cutting him so much slack. There should have been, at the very least, a conference tourney semis appearance and one NIT win ...

From the 2001-2002 USF Basketball Media Guide:

"It all started in November 1996, with the signing of Florida high school star forward Chonsey Asbury and former University of Virginia transfer Scott Johnson.  In the Spring of 1997, Greenberg added to his foundation with young veterans like prep school forwards Cedric Smith and Artha Reeves along with junior college guard Shaddrick Jenkins.  Nationa recruiting experts took notice and rated Greenberg's class No. 1 in the state of Florida - a first at USF - and No. 25 in the nation, the highes ranking ever for the Bulls."

From same media guide, on the 2001-02 Outlook (on the loss of Asbury, Reeves Sanders and Smith to graduation):

While the loss wil be felt, Greenber has plenty left...Furthermore, the Bulls bring in a 38th ranked recruiting class in America, the highest ranked USF class since the Bulls were 25th in the nation prior to the 1996-97 class that inlcuded Jackson and Waldon.

End excerpt

There is another excerpt that claims the 38th ranked class (Brigman, Brown, Bryant, Swift) was a Top 30 class nationally.

So there was history of solid recruiting even though some of the names involved still bring bad memories to Bulls fans.

From the 2001-2002 USF Basketball Media Guide:

"It all started in November 1996, with the signing of Florida high school star forward Chonsey Asbury and former University of Virginia transfer Scott Johnson.  In the Spring of 1997, Greenberg added to his foundation with young veterans like prep school forwards Cedric Smith and Artha Reeves along with junior college guard Shaddrick Jenkins.  Nationa recruiting experts took notice and rated Greenberg's class No. 1 in the state of Florida - a first at USF - and No. 25 in the nation, the highes ranking ever for the Bulls."

From same media guide, on the 2001-02 Outlook (on the loss of Asbury, Reeves Sanders and Smith to graduation):

While the loss wil be felt, Greenber has plenty left...Furthermore, the Bulls bring in a 38th ranked recruiting class in America, the highest ranked USF class since the Bulls were 25th in the nation prior to the 1996-97 class that inlcuded Jackson and Waldon.

End excerpt

There is another excerpt that claims the 38th ranked class (Brigman, Brown, Bryant, Swift) was a Top 30 class nationally.

So there was history of solid recruiting even though some of the names involved still bring bad memories to Bulls fans.

So, if we had talent, and Seth did have some success at LBSU and has had some success at VPI, what the hell happened while he was here?

Archived