• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Webometrics Ranking of World Universities

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I happened to come across this.

They have USF ranked #131 in the WORLD and #91 among American universities.  :o

http://www.webometrics.info/top100_continent.asp?cont=usa_canada

• Content Count:  571
  • Days Won:  0

I might be completely oblivious to something but i'm having a tough time figuring out what they've based that list on.

obviously more than academics..

• Content Count:  1,251

i would also like to know what thats based in.....its got to be a combo of things

• Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

How do you just come across this lol?

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

How do you just come across this lol?

Well, I had read an article on N&WR and they are tinkering with their rankings as they have been criticized for their methodology. One of the new questions thery are asking is about "up and coming" universities and, since, USF has been moving up in research and is becoming more of a "global" university, I did a quick search and ended up at that site. LOL

Edit:

For those interested, here is a portion of the article on N&WR:

The magazine also has just sent out this year’s survey to college presidents asking them to rank institutions. This year’s survey also includes additional questions:

Presidents will be asked to name up to 10 colleges they think are “up and coming.†Morse said that this is a response to complaints that the magazine’s reputational survey  among the most controversial parts of the rankings  is slow to respond to improvements by colleges.

Presidents will be asked for advice on changes the magazine should consider in its methodology.

Presidents will be given a list of possible additional categories on which colleges could be ranked, and which could be used in the methodology for best colleges. These items include: ethnic diversity, admission yield, economic diversity, total endowment per student, learning outcomes, job placement data, and spending efficiency.

Morse said that the magazine has not decided whether it will release information on what the presidents say.

Why consider all these changes? Morse said that the effort was “partly in response†to the criticism of college presidents, some of whom have pledged not to fill out the magazine’s surveys any more. But more broadly, Morse said that “we want to make what we are doing better.â€Â

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2008/04/09/usnews

• Content Count:  4,642

interesting list

Archived