• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Florida All-State Football Teams

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

are you guys telling me you wouldnt rather have 4 and 5 star players?

YOU GUYS NEED to be honest with yourselves

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

are you guys telling me you wouldnt rather have 4 and 5 star players?

YOU GUYS NEED to be honest with yourselves

NO, we said those stars are not THE ONLY tests for quality players.

Did you know that Demetrious Murray was called by a reporter at scout.com the best three star RB in the nation, and legitimately on the cusp of deserving four stars....what's the cut off?  Who decides?  If you have a 15th best RB in the nation ranked four star, and the 16th best RB in the nation is three star are you suggesting #15 is SOOOO MUCH BETTER?  That's where the semantics lie steve-o, that's why the stars are not completely the final arbiter on what's a good player versus a great player.  After that comes college coaching, desire, smarts, work ethic, and conducive systems.  You can put a five star in a system that isn't conducive and watch him ride the bench for three years, hello John Brantley at UF.

How about putting a fantastic two star athlete like Selvie, coached up right, put in the right position, in the right system, with a stellar work ethic, very smart, with a huge motor and heart....well sometimes you get a great player.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Quavon Taylor, who just gave a verbal to USF, was also All-State Class 6A First Team Defense.

Right here is why I don't waste my money on the premium content at so called expert recruiting sites.  How can a kid be on the 6A 1st team and he has not even been rated yet by either service?  Glad I save my money.  Does Josh or Dave have any input on who should be looked at for evaluation by these sites?  If we were Notre Dame would he be a 4 or 5 star already?  The fact that he isn't even rated as a 2 or 3 star is ridiculous.

Wait, the star system is flawed? Crap, someone let cee and smazza know.

What I love is when the recruiting classes are ranked, the inflated stars for kids recruited at "big time" programs then adds to the illusion that FSU (example) had a great recruiting class. If someone really wanted to evaluate recruiting classes, they should also look at a team's needs. For example, if UF signs a 5 star QB, that really should help their overall class ranking because no one is taking the job from Tebow.

OK, I'll cut my star rating rant short.

Let's get Streeter to sign on the dotted line and I think we will be set.

If the kid redshirts he can take over for Tebow as a redshirt sophmore so how does that make the player matter less?  Yes needs are a big part of it and yes the starts are overrated but most for your 4-5 star guys are pretty much about right as the services have a lot of tape on the kids to give a pretty decent evaluation.  The 3 stars and below is where it can blur as a lot of kids dont get tape to the services or only a very small amount of tape etc.  I find its best to use aall state teams, watch some games (a ton are televised through out the year and you can see a lot of great prospects within an hour or so drive), and "scouting videos) that you can get from scout rivals etc.  The services rankings/ratings aren't the end all be all but they should be a part of the puzzle imo. 

Archived