• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mind numbing UCF/USF drivel, et al

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

I was surfing the CUSA board today and came across a stat that UCF had only 23K at their game this weekend.  Which was probably less actual bodies.  With this type of attendance, we should never EVER hear from KnightLight and others about USF attendance and such.  They always seem quick to pull out stats and articles saved on their computer from years ago about USF...yet they can't even get 23K fans into a brand new stadium.  I though BHNS would gaurantee them sellouts and they would quickly be expanding the stadium to 65K within 4 years and BCS conferences like the ACC would be knocking on their door.  What happened.  When is the expansion of BHNS starting????

I was at that game.  There is a reason why I can't stand Thanksgiving weekend games.

There were next to no students there(a good 12k missing right there).  From what students have been saying, spending time with the family(away from campus) was more important than watching a 4-7 team stink it up.  I can't argue with that.  I'd say about 80% of season ticket turnout was there and there wasn't much in single game tickets.  23k being there is a fair assessment.

Now, my green and gold friend, the big difference in this argument is that your attendance troubles are during games that should not have issues.  Before this game, the season low for attendance was 40k for the Sunday ECU game.  In fact, that Sunday game was the lowest since the stadium opened before the Thanksgiving game.  UCF has historically had bad Thanksgiving weekend attendance, so weak numbers last week come to no surprise.

2008 - 23644

2006 - 23755

2004 - 12083

2003 - 12902

2002 - 12462

This comes from being a young school with a still growing fan base with a large majority of students not being commuters.   Now, I don't expect you to get it, cause you rarely do, but all things considered, averaging slightly under 40k for a really bad season is a good indication that the fan base is growing and getting stronger.

I watched the ECU game on ESPN, and I really doubt there were 40K but maybe it was the second half that just looked really bad.

Every team in the NCAA has historically had bad thanksgiving weekend attendance because students/fans go away for the holiday. So that's kind of a moot point. Even FSU could barely sellout the best rivalry game in the state.

So when has USF had attendance troubles when it shouldn't have been an issue? The sunday game before thanksgiving against UCONN that started at 8:20? USF is not a "commuter school" there are more dorm rooms at USF than FSU, and some students/fans left early for the holiday. BTW, there are a large number of commuters at UCF as well. The thursday night against PITT was excusable as the Rays were playing there first playoff game ever.

Funny, I thought our football program was 18 years younger than yours. So, you've had more time to develop football fans and season ticket holders. USF is a young school as well and the fanbase is undoubtedly still growing.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,037

Also, since you only speak of the UCF "announced attendance average" we can do that as well. USF had an announced attendance average of 49,690 this season. That is still 9.5K more than UCF. Again, impressive for a year in which USF football widely underachieved its expectations for the season. 6-4 was not the record most USF fans thought we would have going into the last home game of the year.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

my sources tell me

ftu/ou/oc will be dropping out of 1a

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,260

my sources tell me

...because they got that long awaited invitation to join the NFC South.....

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  442

my sources tell me

My Sources tell me that Smazza is retiring from sweeping the BB floor for the Lakers and moving to Washington to sweep the office floors  for obama...  ;)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,503
  • Days Won:  13

like usual. UCF will never be on our level.

• Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

They are on our level when it comes to fan support for our basketball team. 

You would never know we had a game tonight against a team our fans hate so much and no one is talking about it. 

I know were playing WVA in a bragging rights match tonight, but nothing about bball?  I'll be watching catch 47 and flipping to espn2 to check the score a few times.   

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

You would never know we had a game tonight against a team our fans hate so much and no one is talking about it. 

I know were playing WVA in a bragging rights match tonight, but nothing about bball?  I'll be watching catch 47 and flipping to espn2 to check the score a few times.   

If not for WV this game would had been a hotter ticket... I wanted to drive out to mouse town for this match up until I realized that I could stay home and watch USF play WV.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

same thing i'm doing

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,894

We have to be considered a commuter school...around 38,000 on our campus and like 4600 can live on campus. I'd say people are commutting.

But Dawg, you were claiming your fans are strong and increasing but your admitting everyone leaves at half because you know your not going to scoree. What kind of fanbase is that? Sounds weak to me.