• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If we ever do get a stadium on campus, let's not do it this way

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  20
  • Days Won:  0

Okay, I post this simply because it is a story related to Florida sports. It should absolutely not be seen as an opportunity to criticize anything related to this other school located in Orlando. Anyway, this is an interesting behind the scenes look at how this school got its stadium built despite some "obstacles."

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/features/story.asp?id=12026

“Really, UCF epitomizes all that’s wrong with growth and growth management within the state of Florida,†says Sue Eberle, a former conservation co-chair of the Central Florida Sierra Club who has since relocated to North Carolina. “They’ve done everything with their money and power.â€Â

and

Eberle wanted checks and balances, and suggested that the school was being allowed to move forward with construction and infrastructure without obtaining permits. Laura Klee, a former UCF employee from the construction department who was familiar with the master plan process, was also at the meeting. She stated that the stadium was incompatible with the surrounding community, and also noted that a stadium had been in discussion for more than 20 years, but had never made it into the master plan.

UCF had “bullied and run roughshod over the neighbors,†she said.

Even Gov. Bush was suspicious of the stadium’s absence from the master plan.

“If this stadium has been in planning for some time and underway for a while,†he asked, “why wasn’t it on the master plan?â€Â

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,239

This article is a major skew of the truth.

Eberle fought ANYTHING UCF wanted to do building wise regardless of if she had a case to gripe or not.  She's just one of those haters and I'm happy she left.

UCF, at the urging of the governor, took the slow route to add the stadium to the master plan(this won state support for UCF).  NIMBYs did not take into account cost(financially, enviromentally, traffic) if an alternate location was used.  Trust me, the NIMBYs had every opportunity to present(most didn't) and properly give a working alternative(they did not).  Most stayed silent when given the chance to speak to the UCF brass directly or just complained to media outlete.

UCF has been there much longer than the housing communities.  If the famillies had such issue with a growing university, they should move elsewhere.

The court actions against UCF quickly vanished when the state decided that frivilous law suits, if not won, would be paid by the plaintiff.

This is a very skewed article that distorts the truth.

Also, if you look at old UCF campus plans from Millican's days, he envisioned a football stadium there.

• Content Count:  639

Yeah I saw a video segment on UCF Sports today that showed Millican and he spoke about an OCS way back in the 60s on the north side of campus. That man is a genius! Neighbors in a nice suburban area are going to complain b/c most of them are Gator alumni who hate seeing positive growth at UCF.

Let the haters hate....OCS changes a lot for a school and it is going to help UCF even more for attracting students. Students looking for that good mix of traditional/college atmosphere w/ all the luxuries that our campus spoils you with(resort pool, the best gym in the state, 24 hour gaming center, aesthetically pleasing campus,lots of hot girls, college 'area' but easy drive to the city). It's a great situation now at UCF.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I have to say, I am pretty much in favor of anything the pisses off the Sierra club.  ;D

• Content Count:  771

I have to say, I am pretty much in favor of anything the pisses off the Sierra club.  ;D

just because your job revolves around it.. >:D ;D

• Content Count:  12,293

Neighbors in a nice suburban area are going to complain b/c most of them are Gator alumni who hate seeing positive growth at UCF.

LOL...

thats great.  you really think they are complaining because its some conspriacy to keep UCF down since they are UF alumni?

it probably has more to do with their property values.  but lets not have something as minor as common sense get in the way of a UCF discussion

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

more embarasing ink for ftu/ou/oc

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I have to say, I am pretty much in favor of anything the pisses off the Sierra club.   ;D

just because your job revolves around it.. >:D ;D

If you build it, I will be there.

Neighbors in a nice suburban area are going to complain b/c most of them are Gator alumni who hate seeing positive growth at UCF.

LOL...

thats great.  you really think they are complaining because its some conspriacy to keep UCF down since they are UF alumni?

it probably has more to do with their property values.  but lets not have something as minor as common sense get in the way of a UCF discussion

The stadium hasn't hurt the value..the market has.

Archived