• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cardinals hope offense doesn't have to carry team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

hdr_607x37.gif

Cardinals hope offense doesn't have to carry team, but it should be able to

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The Louisville Cardinals are getting ready for their last year in Conference USA. They hope to celebrate it with offensvive fireworks before departing for the Big East Conference.

Nine offensive starters return to a Louisville team that set school and conference records last season with 6,355 yard of total offense and ranked fifth in the nation with 488 yards per game.

Quarterback Stefan LeFors, wide receiver J.R. Russell _ both preseason all conference picks _ and a talented pool of running backs will lead the Cardinals offensive attack.

Russell caught 75 passes for more than 1,200 yards last season, more than double the number of catches by any other Cardinal receiver. Louisville also has in the wings freshman quarterback Brian Brohm, who led Louisville's Trinity to three consecutive state high school championships.

LeFors is also confident in an experienced offensive line which will be anchored by junior tackle Travis Leffew, also an all-conference pick.

"I don't feel any pressure at all, especially with the receivers and running backs we have," LeFors said. "Each down they can take it to the house, so for me just getting the ball in their hands and making it easier for them to do their job is all I'm trying to do.

"We're shooting to be the number one offense."

Some of Louisville's success last season was from being able to surprise teams. LeFors and junior running back Eric Shelton were first-year starters. Sophomore Michael Bush, who played quarterback in high school, lined up at receiver and running back and threw two touchdowns. Lionel Gates, a senior running back started in four games last season and led the team in rushing yards, 841, and touchdowns, 11. Gates was also the leading receiver out of the backfield.

"When we sat in that offensive room last year, nobody outside that room thought we were going to be very good," offensive coordinator Paul Petrino said.

That luxury will be gone this season.

"I wish it wasn't like that," LeFors said. "I wish it was just like last year so I could sneak up on people."

The Cardinals put up 36 points per game against conference opponents last season and went 5-3 in the league.

This year the Cardinals have a dangerous run in the middle of the season, when they will play Miami, and the three conference teams that beat Louisville last season _ South Florida, Memphis and TCU _ consecutively. Memphis blew out Louisville in Louisville, 37-7. USF and TCU each beat the Cards 31-28, USF in overtime.

Louisville has never beaten Miami in eight tries, nor have they ever won in the Orange Bowl, where they will meet the Hurricanes. All four games are scheduled for national broadcasts.

In last season's four losses, including to Miami (Ohio) in the GMAC Bowl, Louisville gave up an average of 37 points.

"We really have something to prove," senior cornerback Antoine Harris said.

First-year defensive coordinator Mike Cassity said he saw problems with the team's defensive fundamentals, tackling and getting off blocks. They'll work more on that before working on schemes, Cassity said.

"I try not to dwell on last year at all," he said. "I told them on the first day ... 'You're going to make a name for defense this year.'"

The defense will be anchored by senior linebacker Robert McCune, who led the team in tackles last season. Senior defensive end Marcus Jones led the team in sacks last year with 10 and should pressure opposing quarterbacks again, something head coach Bobby Petrino said his team was lacking.

"You gotta be able to show aggression on defense," Bobby Petrino said. "What you gotta do is take the quarterback out of his comfort zone, either by getting a great pass rush and hitting him a lot, or mixing up the looks in the coverage and making them tighter, and making him be a better passer."

If the defense is unable to hold up its end though, the Cardinals may be able to just outscore opponents.

Senior Joshua Tinch will provide some experience at wide receiver, and sophomore Montrell Jones, comes on as a transfer from Tennessee. Jones was fourth in receptions, with 22, for the Volunteers as a freshman two years ago.

"Montrell is a real strong receiver," Paul Petrino said. "If people come up and get in his face and try to press him, I think they'll really have a hard time with it."

Link

I hope our defense is up to the task.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

"When we sat in that offensive room last year, nobody outside that room thought we were going to be very good," offensive coordinator Paul Petrino said.

This is complete "coach speak" BS.  It's the type of things that kids eat up but anyone with any world knowledge realy havta strain to refrain for the  ::).

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  17

No Bulldoug I think that is about right!  UK thought that they were going to spank us last year.  It wasn't until we beat them and Syracuse that people started paying attention to the offense, remember the year before Ragone was a Heisman hopeful, but the Offensive line was horrid.  That horrid line got alot better the next year and now is pretty strong, but coming in to the season U of L was coming in with  what had been a bad line and a new RB and QB.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

No Bulldoug I think that is about right!  UK thought that they were going to spank us last year.  It wasn't until we beat them and Syracuse that people started paying attention to the offense, remember the year before Ragone was a Heisman hopeful, but the Offensive line was horrid.  That horrid line got alot better the next year and now is pretty strong, but coming in to the season U of L was coming in with  what had been a bad line and a new RB and QB.

Yea but by the time you guys got to RJS/Tampa, anybody that new anything about college football knew the The Cards were a talented offensive team.  However, I'd like to see the stats for your team vs. the more traditional defensive teams on your schedule.