• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Season MVP

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

The Trib online has as its poll, "Who is this season's MVP?" it listed:

RB Mike Ford

QB Matt Grothe

LB Ben Moffitt

DE George Selvie

CB Trae Williams

All worthy of mention but what I found interesting is that the one most likely to be drafted first, Mike Jenkins, was conspicuously absent.

MVP awards will always favor those who's position generates big stats. Certainly we wouldn't be where we are today without Matt but each of those listed plus Jenkins and quite a few others played at a very high level all season long.

The Times didn't have such a poll but if they do, it will be interesting to see who they list.

I was gonna mention Mike Jenkins. His play is vastly underrated. He changes what the offense does so much because he essentially locks down a 1/3 of the field, other players are are given opportunities to make plays because of the opposing quarterback's reluctance to throw to his side. If you notice, Trae Williams is usually the corner that gives up the big play and its never Mike.

Mike Jenkins is the best player on the team by far, thats why he will be a mid to high 1st round pick in April. Trae will probably end up being a middle to late 2nd rnd pick, maybe even a 3rd rounder. 

jenkins is always talked about''

he couldnt stop ru's underwood when it mattered most

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I think Moffitt is my choice...

Selvie very close... As is McKenzie... Real hard to not choose Jenkins or Williams...

Grothe will be the next two years...

moffitt disappeared in 3 losses

grothe is the mvp

• Content Count:  563
  • Days Won:  0

I think everyone knows whos the MVP but who is the best player overall?

Tmac had 18 tackles vs Pitt....WOW.

• Content Count:  849

Easily Grothe.

I disagree very much so, Grothe was responsible for none of our big wins and responsible for all of our losses by not performing in crunch time. With Grant Gregory we could have gotten comparable production and we would have been able to stretch the field a lot more considering that Gregory has a waaay better arm than Grothe and he is just as fast if not faster. His decision making couldn't be that much worse than Grothe considering that Grothe has over 15 turnovers in 12 games.

At WVU, Grothe played terrible but the defense bailed him out. At Auburn he was a decent game manager and made a few big plays but also gave up field position by running backwards a few times and getting sacked for huge losses.

At Rutgers, he took way too many unnecessary sacks by scrambling and losing lots of yards, he did the same at UConn and he was flat out atrocious against Cincy.

His best games were against teams with crappy defenses including UNC, UCF, Syracuse and Louisville.

• Content Count:  5,245
  • Days Won:  2

Without Grothe we go nowhere.

i disagree.

as good as Grothe is, our D has bailed us out of several games when the offense couldnt move the ball.

the strongest part of our team--- especially in the big games early in the year--- was the D, so IMO the MVP should be a defensive player...  it's a tossup for me between Ben, George, Jenk or Trae.

imagine the WVU game without the defensive touchdown...  it would be 14-13 and a sure FG would have won it for WVU.

imagine the Pitt game without the defensive touchdown and the long INT return by Moffitt...

imagine the Auburn game without the game saving INTs by Allen and Jenk...

gotta be the D.

• Content Count:  849

The Trib online has as its poll, "Who is this season's MVP?" it listed:

RB Mike Ford

QB Matt Grothe

LB Ben Moffitt

DE George Selvie

CB Trae Williams

All worthy of mention but what I found interesting is that the one most likely to be drafted first, Mike Jenkins, was conspicuously absent.

MVP awards will always favor those who's position generates big stats. Certainly we wouldn't be where we are today without Matt but each of those listed plus Jenkins and quite a few others played at a very high level all season long.

The Times didn't have such a poll but if they do, it will be interesting to see who they list.

I was gonna mention Mike Jenkins. His play is vastly underrated. He changes what the offense does so much because he essentially locks down a 1/3 of the field, other players are are given opportunities to make plays because of the opposing quarterback's reluctance to throw to his side. If you notice, Trae Williams is usually the corner that gives up the big play and its never Mike.

Mike Jenkins is the best player on the team by far, thats why he will be a mid to high 1st round pick in April. Trae will probably end up being a middle to late 2nd rnd pick, maybe even a 3rd rounder. 

jenkins is always talked about''

he couldnt stop ru's underwood when it mattered most

Your a fool for saying that. Tiquan Underwood had a 5 catches for 114 yards and 69 yards was on one play where T-Mac missed the tackle on that play that allowed it to happen. Mike was playing zone. So Tiquan Underwood had 4 catches for 45 yards. I have the audio interview on my computer where T-mac admits that play was on him. I like how you cite one game for why Mike isn't the best especially considering that he did shut down Tiquan Underwood. Also considering that Mike Teel was 11/29 179 yards passing.

• Content Count:  1,894

Can I get a NATE ALLEN FRESHMAN ALL SEASON HUGE IMPACT....THE KID........UNBELIEVABLE...ALLEN AND WILLIAMS BEST SAFETY TANDEM IN THE COUNTRY NEXT YEAR...although id like to see allen move to cb and see verpale back at safety help the team out

• Content Count:  5,245
  • Days Won:  2

Can I get a NATE ALLEN FRESHMAN ALL SEASON HUGE IMPACT....THE KID........UNBELIEVABLE...ALLEN AND WILLIAMS BEST SAFETY TANDEM IN THE COUNTRY NEXT YEAR...although id like to see allen move to cb and see verpale back at safety help the team out

Allen is a sophomore, no?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,646
  • Days Won:  29

Allen is a True Soph

Archived