• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

HELP!!!!!! They want to go to UCiF!!!!

Southshore26

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Ok, here's the story. My sister's family is down for Thanksgiving. Both her kids are straight A students and overall great kids. The niece is currently enrolled at UWF in Pensacola and the nephew is a junior in HS. I know he's been thinking about UF for sometime for academic reasons (he wants to be an aeronautical engineer) but he dropped it on me last night that he's probably going to go to UCF.... then I'm told the niece is thinking of transferring to UCF also for graphic design..... needless to say I'm scrambling right now.... The wife has 2 degrees from USF and having lived here for 30 years It's the only school we root for. I couldn't find much on the school website, does USF have a graphics design program? I know they don't have an aeronautical engineering program but I'm trying to guide him into the computer engineering program.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,752
  • Days Won:  3

Now let's think about this for a second.

Here's the URL for USF majors http://www.registrar.usf.edu/admissions/majors/

And here's the 2008 'best' schools of graphic design:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/majors/brief/major_50-0409_brief.php

...not that UCF isn't in the top tier, but a lot of times, going to college is an opportunity to

get away from mom and dad - spread the wings. Soooooo...we may want to pick a major that

we know the local school doesn't offer so I HAVE TO go to x-school.  None of that type of monkey

business going on is there...you know..  ;)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

They live in the panhandle... but I think I did a half decent job of selling them on USF yesterday. Once I pointed out the fact that they would be within 30 minutes of the grandparents who have nothing better to do than spoil them, they saw things differently. ;D

• Content Count:  6,752
  • Days Won:  3

30 minutes of the grandparents who have nothing better to do than spoil them, they saw things differently.

See...now that's what made this wonderful country of ours - America -  so great...Marketing! :satan

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Ok, here's the story. My sister's family is down for Thanksgiving. Both her kids are straight A students and overall great kids. The niece is currently enrolled at UWF in Pensacola and the nephew is a junior in HS. I know he's been thinking about UF for sometime for academic reasons (he wants to be an aeronautical engineer) but he dropped it on me last night that he's probably going to go to UCF.... then I'm told the niece is thinking of transferring to UCF also for graphic design..... needless to say I'm scrambling right now.... The wife has 2 degrees from USF and having lived here for 30 years It's the only school we root for. I couldn't find much on the school website, does USF have a graphics design program? I know they don't have an aeronautical engineering program but I'm trying to guide him into the computer engineering program.

Aeronautical Engineering for an undergrad is kind of a joke.  It is a bit like some computer science departments that are now offering "Artificial Intelligence" degrees to undergrads.  Both subjects are more graduate degree options because they require an understanding of the underlying field (mechanical engineering and computer science respectively).  Anyway if he is totally set on Aeronautical Engineering then I would suggest he look at Embry Riddle.

As far as graphics design, not sure what USF has.  I know the gaming companies get a lot of kids out of UCF, for that degree it maybe the place to go.  I think if you want to draw Mickey Mouse or work in a hotel UCF is your best option.

• Content Count:  815
  • Days Won:  0

One of the things to consider for the Junior in high school is to focus more on where he wants to go to school and not so much on what he wants to major in. Many students change their majors at least once and engineering especially is a very difficult discipline where having a good support system and being in an enviornment that makes you happy will make a very big difference.

Going to a University that is strong overall is just as important, if not more important then going to the school that is "best for a major". I would only suggest choosing a college based on a specific major ONLY if there is no doubt in his mind that this is what he wants to do and if he truly understands what it is he will be learning and preparing for (most 17/18 year olds don't really know these things).

I'd also consider what was already said about considering a more general major, for all intensive purposes aeronautical engineering is very much the same program as mechanical engineering until you get to your upper level courses. Maybe some slightly different electives but you're still taking all your calcs, chem, physics, etc.

I can't say anything about USF's engineering program but I spent 2 years as an Aerospace Engineering major prior to transferring to USF so I'm very aware of what he will be in store for.

• Content Count:  1,911

I believe USF St. Pete has something in Graphic Design...I dont know if it's a degree or a concentration, but I have a friend who just finished the program.

For Aeronautical Engineering they should look at Embry Riddle, as Grouper suggested, or go for something more broad like Mechanical Engineering and concentrate on something specific in graduate work.

• Content Count:  341

FIT also has aerospace engineering (it's on the east coast in melbourne)...i hear their program is good....i used to work for an engineering firm over there and we had some interns and full time employees that were from there

• Content Count:  7,890

You only can do one thing

scarface3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  2,726

Simple, if you can't FULLY sell them on USF, let them know that Full Sail is one of the BEST graphic design programs in the country.  AND, Embry Riddle is one of the best Areonautical Eng programs in the country. 

They have no reason to go to Orlando College/13th Grade

GO BULLS!!!

Archived