• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can someone explain to me.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

He's a sophomore on a program that is new to the scene.  His numbers are good, but voters will always vote for the best defensive player on a national power. 

• Content Count:  651
  • Days Won:  0

He's a sophomore on a program that is new to the scene.  His numbers are good, but voters will always vote for the best defensive player on a national power. 

Thats such a lame excuse to leave him off! Voters need to ignore age, team status and just look at the stats! I suppose its too much to ask voters to not be biased! Hopefully Selvie will play with a chip on his shoulder the last 3 games and make the voters look stupid!

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,056
  • Days Won:  469

Simple reason is he plays at South Florida.  A guy with Selvie's stats on any of the good old boy teams would still be in it.  It's just too bad that the CFB elite will automatically turn away from someone on a team they don't see as legit.  After all, it is an INDIVIDUAL award.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Simple reason is he plays at South Florida.  A guy with Selvie's stats on any of the good old boy teams would still be in it.  It's just too bad that the CFB elite will automatically turn away from someone on a team they don't see as legit.  After all, it is an INDIVIDUAL award.

yes.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I think it has more to do with the fact that he's a sophomore.  Sophomores very rarely win any national awards, whether they deserve it or not.  Just to get as far as he did is impressive.

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Guys, it's not a personal slight against George. It's a national panel of voters, going with names they recognize the most.

Dorsey was a lock, and while I don't understand why Laurinaitis is even eligible for the award (next time you watch the Buckeyes, check how often he's on the line of scrimmage -- I didn't vote for him because I didn't think he met the criteria for the award), Laurinaitis is the most well-known defensive player for the No. 1 team in the nation (which played for the national title). Since the award is for linemen on both sides of the ball, I think there's an inclination to include at least one offensive lineman in your final four, and Michigan's Jake Long is going to get those votes. So it comes down to Virginia's Chris Long and USF's George Selvie, let's say, and while Selvie is much better statistically, more people know about Long (it might be about his dad, might not) and he's a senior; people will always break a tie by going to an upperclassman, knowing they can give the vote to the younger player the next year if he continues the same success.

Selvie is still largely a player the national media didn't know about until September, and you can't say that about the four finalists. He did well to make the semifinal cut as a sophomore, and he'll be a favorite for the award next season. I think if USF is No. 2 and undefeated right now, he has a much better chance of being a finalist -- USF is unranked now, and Selvie has one sack in USF's three losses.

Selvie will likely be a first-team All-America on most A-A teams this season, which is a real feat for a sophomore. He could win Big East Defensive Player of the Year, though I think USF has enough candidates they might split their votes.

• Content Count:  46

he dropped off the map.

Where has he dropped off the map? Rutgers was the only game.

Tackles      TFL        Sacks      FF      QBH

Elon                  10              6.0        4.0          1        2

Auburn                4              3.5          1.5          0        3

UNC                    6              5.0        3.0          0        0

West Virginia        8              2.0        1.0          0        1

FAU                    3              1.0        1.0          0        1

UCF                    5              4.0        1.0          1        1

Rutgers              2              0.0        0.0          0        1

UConn                5              2.0        2.0          0        0

Cincinnati            7              4.0        0.0          1        0

Total                  50            27.5      13.5          3        9

• Content Count:  635

I think it has more to do with the fact that he's a sophomore.  Sophomores very rarely win any national awards, whether they deserve it or not.  Just to get as far as he did is impressive.

a good example is last year when Posluszny won the Bednarik despite Laurenititis and Dan Conner being up for the award, both being underclassmen, and both arguably outperforming Posluszny.

the way the voters think is, hey, if you're an underclassman and you're having a great season, keep doing it as a junior or senior and you'll get the award.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Can someone explain to me why George Selvie misses the final cut for the Lombardi award? Hello! He leads ALL of the nation in sacks (13.5) and tackles for loss (27.5). Laurinaitis doesn't even lineup primarily on the line of scrimmage and he made the cut.

WAKE UP VOTERS!!!!!!!

he disappeared and was eaten up by all american from rutgers in biggest game of the year

he dropped off the map.

Where has he dropped off the map? Rutgers was the only game.

Tackles      TFL        Sacks      FF      QBH

Elon                  10              6.0        4.0          1        2

Auburn                4              3.5          1.5          0        3

UNC                    6              5.0        3.0          0        0

West Virginia        8              2.0        1.0          0        1

FAU                    3              1.0        1.0          0        1

UCF                    5              4.0        1.0          1        1

Rutgers              2              0.0        0.0          0        1

UConn                5              2.0        2.0          0        0

Cincinnati            7              4.0        0.0          1        0

Total                  50            27.5      13.5          3        9

game entire world was watching

biggest game of the year

modified by Bulliever to combine similar posts by same member in succession on same thread

Archived