• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF #12 in coaches poll - 6th in Saragrin poll

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

6  BIG TEN            (A) =  75.37

I wish to all things holy that someday, someone will point out what a fraud the Big Ten is this season. That Ohio State win over Washington (2-5, 0-4 Pac-10) is the Big Ten's crowning achievement at the moment.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,013

Draw you own conclusions:

Voter Breakdown By Conference:

ACC   6(10%)

BE     4(6.7%)

B10   7(11.7%)

B12   6(10%)

CUSA 6(10%)

IND    1(1.7%)

MAC   6(10%)

MWC  4(6.7%)

P10    5(8.3%)

SEC    7(11.7%)

SB      4(6.7%)

WAC   4(6.7%)

Link to Coaches Poll: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

ok...someone simplify this for me....ELO and what else goes into the BCS?  Learning something I did not know here...

1/3 of the BCS is the USA Today Coaches Poll

1/3 of the  BCS is the Harris Poll

1/3 of the BCS is the the AVERAGE of 4 computer polls (after the highest and lowest scores are dropped)

You're technically right, a little off when looking at the math:

First, find the percentage of total possible points in the Coaches Poll.

Ad to that the the percentage of total possible points in the Harris Poll.

Finally add the percentage of total possible points in four out of six computer polls

(The computer polls are not averaged.  The four remaining computer poll values after highest and lowest ranks are dropped are assigned points (1st place = 25, 25th place = 1, 26th and higher = 0).  These four numbers are added together to get a maximum possible of 100 (4 first place votes).  This sum is then divided by 100 to get percentage.).

Once you have a sum of these three, divide by three to get an average.

Although the math could work if you divided each value by three and then added them together...

This is why you see the value expressed as a three digit number: .942 or .920.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

ok...someone simplify this for me....ELO and what else goes into the BCS?  Learning something I did not know here...

1/3 of the BCS is the the AVERAGE of 4 computer polls (after the highest and lowest scores are dropped)

Finally add the percentage of total possible points in four out of six computer polls

(The computer polls are not averaged.  The four remaining computer poll values after highest and lowest ranks are dropped are assigned points (1st place = 25, 25th place = 1, 26th and higher = 0).  These four numbers are added together to get a maximum possible of 100 (4 first place votes).  This sum is then divided by 100 to get percentage.).

Although the math could work if you divided each value by three and then added them together...

I've had to explain this to many people who don't know much about it... I've also gotten many MANY strange looks after having explained. I just try to keep it as simple as possilbe.

• Content Count:  10,219

Draw you own conclusions:

Voter Breakdown By Conference:

ACC   6(10%)

BE     4(6.7%)

B10   7(11.7%)

B12   6(10%)

CUSA 6(10%)

IND    1(1.7%)

MAC   6(10%)

MWC  4(6.7%)

P10    5(8.3%)

SEC    7(11.7%)

SB      4(6.7%)

WAC   4(6.7%)

Link to Coaches Poll: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

so B10 and sec can always give an extra "bump" to their conference

also Cusa and the MAC can "low ball" the BE to "prove" they should not be bcs.

so should the BE add 4 teams to get more votes to stuff the ballot box?

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

What a ***** poll the USA Today poll is.

Can you imagine if there didn't exist a coaches poll, what the discussion would be like to establish one? 

Person A:  "Yes, the coaches should be able to vote and have a large part in deciding who plays for the national championship every year".

Person B:  "Wouldn't they just vote for themselves and the people they played to make themselves look better?"

A:  "Of course not!  College football coaches are the finest upholders of ethics in sports."

B:  "Oh, so the votes would be public to prevent abuse, right?"

A:  "Of course not!"

B:  "I see NO WAY this can go wrong."

I've had to explain this to many people who don't know much about it... I've also gotten many MANY strange looks after having explained. I just try to keep it as simple as possilbe.

Yeah, but a lot of people read things on message boards and take them as gospel... without delving a little deeper into things.

So the message was more for other readers...

Archived