• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Ref's are failing as a whole

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,457
  • Days Won:  0

They are making it up as they go along.  That flag after a dead play on the fumble to erase our TD was crazy.  There was not enough evidence to support a forward lateral and that is that.

Also, the UCONN player clearly waved fairly:  advanced the ball for a TD and NO REVIEW - replay official taking up for the overall Big East Ref failures.  Luckily UCONN won the game.  Makes for good ABC TV next Saturday when 6-1 Bulls take on 6-1 Huskies for the conference lead.  Rutgers will put up against WVA this year to help out too.

PMR

• Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  0

Actually I think a Rutgers win would hurt us more than a WVU win.  We hold the tiebreaker against WVU.  Rutgers has the tiebreaker against us.

That being said, Conn leads everybody.

Just Win!!!!!!

• Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

They are making it up as they go along.  That flag after a dead play on the fumble to erase our TD was crazy.  There was not enough evidence to support a forward lateral and that is that.

PMR

I agree that was some of the worst officiating I have ever seen.  I am still lost as to who actually called that review? I do know the officials get reviewed on their play calling and if they aren't what they should be they can be relieved of their duty so to speak.  Clearly the officiating was in Rutger's favor.  However the blatant penalties on the kick-offs were definitely a freshman error.  Hopefully he learned from those.  Lets hope there is retribution today and more losses.  Michigan St. is not ranked and an Ohio loss to them along with a Boston College loss to #11 Virginia Tech would really shake up the BCS!!!

But this has not been the first time this season the Bulls have been screwed by the officials.  There were many calls that should have been made at the UCF game and they weren't made.  The FAU game was another example. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  162

in case you are a glutton for more Big East football--- Cinci is playing at a half arsed- filled Heinz Field against a half-arsed Pitt team

it'[s on Catch 47

• Content Count:  5,246
  • Days Won:  2

what will the Big Yeast officials do next?

award Cinci a free TD for Pitt's hideous all blue unis?

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Heinz Field isn't even half full.

there can't be more than 10k people there.  Cinci isnt even that far from Pittsburgh... gues their fans dont travel.

Cinci doesn't travel well--- they sent back something like 1200 tickets of their allotment for our game-- which we sold probably-- lower bowl and all.

Pitt looked like that last week as well-- sparse crowd

who can blame them-- Wannstedt went for it on 4th and inches from his own 28 yard line in the first quarter --- and failed. WTF is he thinking?`

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

From the "Bristol Blog" on ESPN today:

12:08 p.m.: ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach

It's been a rough start to the week for Big East officials. I wasn't completely convinced that South Florida's apparent touchdown off a blocked field goal in the first half at Rutgers on Thursday night should have been overturned. But the replay official ruled Bulls linebacker Tyrone McKenzie illegally lateralled the football forward to cornerback Trae Williams, who ran 24 yards for an apparent touchdown. Watching TV replays, I thought the Rutgers player who hit McKenzie from behind knocked the ball loose and it popped forward. At the very least, I figured there wouldn't be conclusive evidence to overturn the call. But the instant replay official thought otherwise. Then Friday night, Big East officials had another rough outing. With Louisville leading Connecticut 7-0 in the third quarter, Huskies returner Larry Taylor threw his arm out -- in what appeared to be a signal for a fair catch -- before fielding a punt. His action caused the Louisville coverage team to stop. But then Taylor took off running for a 74-yard touchdown return. Officials ruled the play a touchdown and it wasn't reviewable by replay. Apparently, NCAA rules stipulate a player must wave his arm multiple times to signal a fair catch. Taylor did it once. But NCAA rules also stipulate Taylor's action should have resulted in an illegal fair catch, which means the Huskies should have taken possession at their 26. Instead, Connecticut was given a touchdown and escaped with a 21-17 victory over the Cardinals.

From the "Bristol Blog" on ESPN today:

12:08 p.m.: ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach

It's been a rough start to the week for Big East officials. I wasn't completely convinced that South Florida's apparent touchdown off a blocked field goal in the first half at Rutgers on Thursday night should have been overturned. But the replay official ruled Bulls linebacker Tyrone McKenzie illegally lateralled the football forward to cornerback Trae Williams, who ran 24 yards for an apparent touchdown. Watching TV replays, I thought the Rutgers player who hit McKenzie from behind knocked the ball loose and it popped forward. At the very least, I figured there wouldn't be conclusive evidence to overturn the call. But the instant replay official thought otherwise. Then Friday night, Big East officials had another rough outing. With Louisville leading Connecticut 7-0 in the third quarter, Huskies returner Larry Taylor threw his arm out -- in what appeared to be a signal for a fair catch -- before fielding a punt. His action caused the Louisville coverage team to stop. But then Taylor took off running for a 74-yard touchdown return. Officials ruled the play a touchdown and it wasn't reviewable by replay. Apparently, NCAA rules stipulate a player must wave his arm multiple times to signal a fair catch. Taylor did it once. But NCAA rules also stipulate Taylor's action should have resulted in an illegal fair catch, which means the Huskies should have taken possession at their 26. Instead, Connecticut was given a touchdown and escaped with a 21-17 victory over the Cardinals.

good stuff.  i'm glad people have taken notice.

i've heard analysts on ESPN a few times question the FG block return call during the Bulls game.  the guy on the SportsCenter hilite (Stu, i believe) said something to the effect of "i dont know about that... looked inadvertent to me," and someone else called it "a game of trick plays and questionable calls"

good to read Schlabach giving it some notice.

if nothing else, the 1 loss we have this season is very questionable and i would say at least half (probably more) of the comments i've read from analysts and impartial fans believe that call was ********....  and we still only lost by 3 with a chance to win it.

USF just needs to keep proving itself week in and week out.  officials with agendas to knock us back down to earth is just part of paying dues in college football, i guess.

I have yet to hear a single Rutgers fan agree that the call was wrong on that TD

they all to a man say it was a blatant forward pass, that the play had no bearing on the outcome, that we got blown up by their team-- yada yada yada. I think we got jobbed. atleast twice-- maybe three times. Anyway-- that's what everyone (except us) wanted I guess. Most other football (non-Rutgers of course) fans agree with that assessment.

hard to believe what I'm seeing so far in this Cinci - Pitt game

Archived