• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This loss is on Leavitt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

Our boys played their hearts out, they really did.  I knew from the beginning this was a TERRIBLE matchup for us as Ray Rice is the perfect storm for a defense like this.  However, we should've killed Rutgers last night and much of that had to do with the piss poor game management I saw last night which has been consistent with Leavitt (my ONLY knock on the guy) from day one.

1.  Special teams.  That's all coaching and all he had to do at those points in the game was PLAY FOR THE FAKE!  They were at midfield on an opening possession and they knew we could score on them.  I WAS SCREAMING, "WATCH FOR THE FAKE!"  I almost took a shotgun to my TV when it happened.  The second one for the TD, again, WATCH FOR THE FAKE!  It makes no difference if they get 3 points!  7?  BIG DIFFERENCE!

2.  A more subtle gross negligence occured on every 4th and 2 we were in around midfield and the FGs.  We have possibly the WORST special teams crew in the country, but have one of the best scrambling QBs, our OLINE was opening up gashes for Matt at will and you know we CAN'T STOP RICE; YET WE DON'T GO FOR IT?????  NOT EVEN ONCE???

You telling me we couldn't pick up at least half of those and probably result in one TD?  That alone was the difference in the game.  Why punt to net 30 yards when all you have to do is pick up two, keep the ball and possibly score?

The difference last night was the coaches.  Schiano was doing everything to win and Leavitt was doing everything not too lose which is exactly how this team has played all year.  Fortunately, we've had the bounces go our way to mask this game management.

3.  RU is bring blitz after blitz, but we don't start any plays in those last three drives with Matt rolling out of the pocket?  We know he can't throw the ball away, so why put him in that position of a huge sack?  Get him on the move and let him have the option to run.  He's not a pocket QB.

4.  Defense.  Yes Ray Rice is good and he owned us, but he could've been limited.  Why did it take 2.5 quarters to stack the box?  Our DBs showed they were more than capable of matching up one on one and Teel couldn't hit em in tight spaces.  We shouldve been blitzing every down UNTIL they showed they could burn us.  Nothing irked me more than seeing the defense put them in 3rd and 8/10/16 only to rush 4 (WHEN WE KNEW WE COULDN"T GET PRESSURE WITH 4/5) and give Teel all day to pick apart our zone. 

I think Leavitt is a great guy and he's great at building a program, but last night showed his weakness.  Everything above had nothing to do with the players and everything to do wtih coaching decisions.  We had the better team last night and even despite the mistakes, we should've pounded Rutgers.  Leavitt played not to lose and when you do that, all it takes is a bad call by a ref (we saw two) to decide it when it shouldn't have been close to begin with.

In closing, it's a young program and that includes the coach.  Just like players have bad games, so do coaches, but I hope he learns from this experience and for now on even in games we're winning, to go for the juglar.  To work on the 2 minute offense so when we need it, it's there.  This is the stuff you do when you're blowing out other teams.  Instead of killing clock, you WORK ON THE WEAK PART OF YOUR GAME!

I had us pegged as a 3 loss team this season due to our inexperience which we saw last night (Matt spiking it highlighted that fact); so I'm not down.  Disappointed?  Yes, but not down.  We still have a shot to win the Big East and even if we don't win that, we can still shoot for a decent bowl game.

The good news is a Rutgers loss is bad, but not the deathnail.  We'll still be in the top 25 after this which will give us a shot to work our way up with a few more wins as other teams will be taking losses 2 and 3.  There's a very good chance if we win out, we can get back to the top ten bc those wins we had earlier still count.

I'm done mourning over the loss and I look forward to creaming Uconn next week to get back on our game!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,719

As much as I hate to agree, I too think Leavitt was outcoached last night.  It was the reverse of when we pulled out all the stops against #9 Louisville  two years ago at home. 

Those kids have played a great season so far and I will keep rooting for them as I have for the past 10 years. 

• Content Count:  936

Agreed. Great post.

And you can tell on Leavitt's face that he recognized this as well.

• Content Count:  21,338
  • Days Won:  10

Leavitt will take the blame  he knows he made mistakes. 

I think we really need to pay attention to #2 moving forward.  Chances are we don't see folks pulling those stops out again without our being ready, but having rock solid faith in a TERRIBLE unit is plain dumb.  We need to go TD or bust unless it's a 30 yard or less FG.  Outside of that, you got a better shot picking up the 1st than getting the FG, especially on 4th and less than 5 let alone TWO!

I could live with that approach and imagine the flexibility it would allow you if you knew from the beginning you were going to use all 4 downs.  Not too mention, you'd be burning the other teams time outs bc they wouldn't be ready for a quick line up and go.  We should have two plays called in on 3rd down to where Matt can say, if we're in 4th and short, everyone to the line quick and we're going to run the option.

In college, it would be deadly.

• Content Count:  348

I agree with almost everything you said.  Great post.  I say almost because on that first fake punt espn showed leavitt with his fingers pointing to his eyes saying watch the fake.  He knew it was coming just as well as You and I, but somehow that didn't get communicated to everyone on the field. 

I'm heartbroke, hungover, and ready to move on.  I honestly didn't even want to come on the board today, not because I dont want to support my team, but because we can't let this get us down and we have to get back on track for a BE championship.

• Content Count:  7,890

I hate to say it but your right

The good news is, even at our WORST, we still had a chance to win this game.  Can you imagine once we have this thing on cruise control and start getting more of the recruits we want vs the left overs? 

This is seriously going to be an incredible program and Leavitt will get better.  Plus, as the athletes get better, they overcome more coaching mistakes based on talent alone.  Where we will see the biggest difference will be on 3rd downs.

We need a dominant offensive player who can still succeed even when you know it's going to him.  Right now, we don't have anyone on our roster who you can truly say that about and it also shows up on big plays.  We have VERY FEW over 40 yards on the year despite having a QB who can keep things alive longer than most as well as keeping a defense honest.

Most teams would kill to have the problem Grothe poses for defenses.  We're just not maximizing his potential yet though a few tweaks to the starting lineup (getting Bogan, Hester (been saying for weeks) and Edwards in there more) and maybe we'll see something.  Cedric HIll even looked great on that one catch and run.

Got to stop going AMarri's way on third downs though as he's not clutch.

• Content Count:  206

Ruger I agree with evverything you said and mentioned alot of it various other posts.

I also agree with disappointed but noit down.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Our boys played their hearts out, they really did.  I knew from the beginning this was a TERRIBLE matchup for us as Ray Rice is the perfect storm for a defense like this.  However, we should've killed Rutgers last night and much of that had to do with the **** poor game management I saw last night which has been consistent with Leavitt (my ONLY knock on the guy) from day one.

1.  Special teams.  That's all coaching and all he had to do at those points in the game was PLAY FOR THE FAKE!  They were at midfield on an opening possession and they knew we could score on them.  I WAS SCREAMING, "WATCH FOR THE FAKE!"  I almost took a shotgun to my TV when it happened.  The second one for the TD, again, WATCH FOR THE FAKE!  It makes no difference if they get 3 points!  7?  BIG DIFFERENCE!

2.  A more subtle gross negligence occured on every 4th and 2 we were in around midfield and the FGs.  We have possibly the WORST special teams crew in the country, but have one of the best scrambling QBs, our OLINE was opening up gashes for Matt at will and you know we CAN'T STOP RICE; YET WE DON'T GO FOR IT?????  NOT EVEN ONCE???

You telling me we couldn't pick up at least half of those and probably result in one TD?  That alone was the difference in the game.  Why punt to net 30 yards when all you have to do is pick up two, keep the ball and possibly score?

The difference last night was the coaches.  Schiano was doing everything to win and Leavitt was doing everything not too lose which is exactly how this team has played all year.  Fortunately, we've had the bounces go our way to mask this game management.

3.  RU is bring blitz after blitz, but we don't start any plays in those last three drives with Matt rolling out of the pocket?  We know he can't throw the ball away, so why put him in that position of a huge sack?  Get him on the move and let him have the option to run.  He's not a pocket QB.

4.  Defense.  Yes Ray Rice is good and he owned us, but he could've been limited.  Why did it take 2.5 quarters to stack the box?  Our DBs showed they were more than capable of matching up one on one and Teel couldn't hit em in tight spaces.  We shouldve been blitzing every down UNTIL they showed they could burn us.  Nothing irked me more than seeing the defense put them in 3rd and 8/10/16 only to rush 4 (WHEN WE KNEW WE COULDN"T GET PRESSURE WITH 4/5) and give Teel all day to pick apart our zone. 

I think Leavitt is a great guy and he's great at building a program, but last night showed his weakness.  Everything above had nothing to do with the players and everything to do wtih coaching decisions.  We had the better team last night and even despite the mistakes, we should've pounded Rutgers.  Leavitt played not to lose and when you do that, all it takes is a bad call by a ref (we saw two) to decide it when it shouldn't have been close to begin with.

In closing, it's a young program and that includes the coach.  Just like players have bad games, so do coaches, but I hope he learns from this experience and for now on even in games we're winning, to go for the juglar.  To work on the 2 minute offense so when we need it, it's there.  This is the stuff you do when you're blowing out other teams.  Instead of killing clock, you WORK ON THE WEAK PART OF YOUR GAME!

I had us pegged as a 3 loss team this season due to our inexperience which we saw last night (Matt spiking it highlighted that fact); so I'm not down.  Disappointed?  Yes, but not down.  We still have a shot to win the Big East and even if we don't win that, we can still shoot for a decent bowl game.

The good news is a Rutgers loss is bad, but not the deathnail.  We'll still be in the top 25 after this which will give us a shot to work our way up with a few more wins as other teams will be taking losses 2 and 3.  There's a very good chance if we win out, we can get back to the top ten bc those wins we had earlier still count.

I'm done mourning over the loss and I look forward to creaming Uconn next week to get back on our game!

WHAT A GREAT POST!

Archived