• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

the failure to adjust to the constant blitzing

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

was surprising

the lack of being able to run the ball caught up with the bulls

the lack of composure was disappointing

why in the world did leavitt put gilliam in after that first personalfoul only to get a second personal foul

back to the drawing board

• Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

In a word, yep.

• Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

We have some things we need to work on thats for sure

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I just rewatched the thrid and 4th quarters.  We actually were to beat the blitz on several plays.  We ran a few quick hit passes and a slant to Jackson.  Why we went away from that I have no idea. 

• Content Count:  509

I hate to admit it, but Leavitt got outcoached.

There was the 90 yard drive in the 4th where it looked like the Bulls figured out how to beat the Rutgers blitz and defense.  But after they scored the TD, they went away from it for some reason, and started trying to run with B. Williams and throwing bombs.  some bombs were necessary due to Williams not being able to run unless he's in open space and Grothe running back 15 yards every play and taking a sack instead of throwing the ball away.

Oh well, learning experience for a young team.

• Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

There was the 90 yard drive in the 4th where it looked like the Bulls figured out how to beat the Rutgers blitz and defense.  But after they scored the TD, they went away from it for some reason, and started trying to run with B. Williams and throwing bombs.  some bombs were necessary due to Williams not being able to run unless he's in open space and Grothe running back 15 yards every play and taking a sack instead of throwing the ball away.

I am confused why they went away from what worked in that drive.  Hopefully someone can explain that.

• Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Re: the failure to adjust to the constant blitzing

was surprising

Not to me, see USF vs. Rutgers 2006

• Content Count:  64

I am confused why they went away from what worked in that drive.  Hopefully someone can explain that.

Well, Schiano is one hell of a defensive mind that's why we had trouble with the blitz he mixes them up.  Brings guys from different angles, runs guys up at the last second, and most of these are done after Groethe has surveyed the defense and changed the play.  After that 90 yard drive, which we got because Rutgers only rushed 4 players most of that drive, and they hardly did any blitzing.  They had a spy assigned to Groethe and the guy dropped in coverage which opened things up, hence the reason we drove 90 yards for a score.  But I saw Schiano talking to his "D" after that drive, and when they came back out they switched the defense they were playing, on one play in particular they had about 7 players on the line looking like they were going to blitz.  Groethe called an audible to one of the short passes that had been working against the blitz, but when the ball was snapped all of the defenders except 2 defensive line players dropped into coverage, well Groethe looked for the quick pass but it was congested and he could find anyone open and threw it away.

Rutgers kept us off balance all night, and since the secret has been out a while that our offense is basically Groethe running around, with a few broken plays for big gains sprinkled it we became predictable.  Groethe was confused, did you see he was just throwing the ball up for grabs in the vicinity of a receiver I tip my hat off to Schiano.

• Content Count:  143

Rutgers beat us in the trenches all night long.  When Grothe was contained in the pocket and he couldn't see over the d-line and make a play.  By the end of the game Grothe was just exhausted from having to make play after play to even keep us in the game.

As far as the offensive play calling goes there are two things I didn't understand. 

Why do we almost never have two backs in the backfield with Grothe.  On passing plays two backs would have helped to pick up a blitz and one of them could have gone in the flat for a screen.  On running plays you would have a lead blocker, which it doesn't seem like we ever run our backs that way.  Does Leavitt just not recruit blocking backs.

The second question is do we ever run a screen pass?  With all of those blitzs how do you not set up one designed screen all night.  We have some backs that could do some damage in space.  Also we have receivers that could come back for some balls and do some damage.  Besides the Grothe keepers which had to wear him out there didn't really seem to be much creative play calling. 

Archived