• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Question for those at the FAU game (wind)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  403
  • Days Won:  0

How bad was the wind at the FAU game?  It looked pretty bad on TV.

I'm thinking back to the game and that I think we basically played "not to lose" in the 2nd half.  We tried to have ball control and run a lot to get through the 3rd quarter when the wind was in our face... and then we basically knew that FAU was going to have a really hard time throwing it on us in the 4th quarter when the wind was in their face.

I know it was a really sloppy game, but I just can't help to think that the windy conditions contributed to how this game was played and made it closer than it needed to be.  Maybe played into the favor of FAU because it made both teams one dimensional when the wind was in their face...basically making the game a 2 quarter game.  I thought it was huge when we scored on the 1st drive of the 3rd quarter with the wind in our face.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I disagree on the playing not to lose... we switched to a running game because the passing game wasn't working.

That was good coaching.  When something isn't working, make adjustments and that was the key.  Ben WIlliams got the ball more and Grothe ran more. We came out in our first possesion in the 2nd half and scored. 

That isn't playing not to lose.

Basically what I'm saying is that the wind conditions contributed to a sloppy game.

• Content Count:  1,378

Not only the wind, but the sun.  The field ran east and west, instead of north south, so the sun was right above the field goal posts.  Our receivers were looking right back into the setting sun in the 2nd and 3rd quarter.  Not that that was a reason for much, as there weren't too many throws that would have been affected, but none the less.

• Content Count:  89

Wind was a huge factor. Not only in the passing game but the kicking game.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,660
  • Days Won:  6

There was very strong (20 to 25 mph) east to west wind the entire game.  I think it contributed to 2 over throws by MG when heading that direction.  The stadium was so small/low that the wind was really a factor at field level.  There were no nets and Delbert's first extra point went over the stands and landed in the parking lot.

• Content Count:  9,038

Yeah, the wind was going from right to left as you watched it on TV.

It was strong, about 15-20 MPH.  It was definitely a factor.

• Content Count:  98

Wind was 20 mph+ for most of the game. At least the rain held off.

That's great that his extra point landed in the parking lot! 

I'm not trying to make excuses for the game being so close, but I'm just saying that there were factors (wind, sun) that contributed to neither team being able to show their full potential.  I'm thinking that we maybe played it safe, while FAU had more of a "nothing to lose" and "go for it" attitude and had some successes (and some failures) with that.

But, I think we were pretty conservative for the game, yet would've opened it up more had we needed to.

If I was coaching that game, my strategy would've been to control the ball/clock in the 3rd quarter and keep FAU in check (which we did) and then know that FAU would have a really hard time moving the ball on us in the 4th because of the widn (Which they did).

So, yes, my opinion is that we played not to lose  - we did what it took to win the game and  we coached according to the factors at the game, hence it was not a pretty game. 

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

This excuse thread reminds me of the West Virginia board.

We were flat and just didn't play well.  FAU is a battle-tested team that played inspired.  The fact that we won is a testament to how much talent we have on the team.  This game was a letdown.  It happens.  I'm just glad FAU's kicker sucked and that they got screwed by that interfering with a kick returner call in the fourth.

The ingredients to a magical season are 1.  you gotta be good (we are) and 2. occasionally you gotta be lucky (we were saturday).

After a week of (1) hard practices, (2) attacks on our offense by the pundits at ESPN and (3) self loathing by coaches and players for the clase call at FAU, I pity UCF. . . NOT!

Archived