• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is our biggest problem on offense our coaching changes?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

I really think people are not happy unless they see Ford carrying for 150 yards a game.  I mean come on now, people were chanting for Ford at the same time Williams was putting up 186 yards and 4 tds.

I also think people are too focused on a prolific offense like Louisville and WVU and then say we aren't an improved offense.  Not better than last year?  You are kidding me.  We are already a TD better per game than last year and we have played two top 20 teams.  

Room for imporvement yes, but if you don't realize this offense and offensive coordinator is so much better than last year, you ned to study up on football.  A trick play or two a game doesn't make an offense good.  Like I said, there is room for improvement and they aren't clicking on all cylinders yet, but we are much more balanced and winning game doesn't always have to be on Matt's shoulders as it was last year.  A couple of inches either on a couple of plays and a couple of catches and we have blow outs against Elon and FAU early.  

By the same token, a few inches or bounces the wrong way and we have lost 3 games that our defense HANDED US.  With the defensive performances we had in those games, no way they should've even been close.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  21,104
  • Days Won:  39

I definitely like this year's offense over last year's offense (especially with Ford in the game).  We just have had silly turnovers that are killing us.  Also, I think people expected to see us move the ball better on FAU and here we are doing double reverses and getting stuffed in the first half.

• Content Count:  1,480

You are wrong.... this offense is much more productive through 5 games than last year.  Why would you say it is not clicking.  It is just different and more balanced.

Here are some comparisons to last year through 5 games:

2007                    2006

Total Yardage....        1818                  1881

PTS on offense            140                    113

Pts per Game                  28                    22.6

TDs                              18                    14

Rushing yards                905                    720

Passing yard                  913                1197

I see much more balance against two much better defenses than what we played against last year.  Also, Grothe had a big day passing against UCF last year.  Let's see what happens this weekend. 

Also, remember in the Auburn game, we didn't really have the opportunity to put up more yardage because our defense gave us a short fleld all so many times. 

Keep in mind that we are stil working with a banged up OL, 2 freshman backs, a freshman at OL.  With all that we are still averaging a TD more per game against mmuch tougher competitiion and 2 ranked opponents. 

The passing game's timing is off a little bit, buit we have also been throwing down the field more than ever before.  Last year a lot of the passes were swings or WR screens to Randolph and he had the YAC.

I would really like for us to use TJ, Hester and Amarri as the set receivers and use the other guys to spell them My opinion is that the timing can't be good if we keep shuttling guys in and out.

I think Gregory is being smarter than we have experienced last year.  He is taking what the defense is giving us and exploiting it.  No way Smith would have adjusted away from the pass to the run like gregory did against FAU.  he would have tried to run some end arounds or reverses.  Even against Auburn he would have not been as patient and tried something stupid. 

My only concern with the offense is the way we work the clock.  That problem seems to have continued agaisn this year.  Both against WVU and FAU.

I am expecting a break out game this week from the offense.  Let's see what happens.

We weren't ranked 5th in the country last year  ;)

• Content Count:  117

I've read  quotes from both Coach Gregory and Canales that basically said tha MG struggled with passing and that the FAU D was dropping 8 guys back into coverage. A similar scheme that Cinci used last year, the necessary adjustments were made and we ran the ball down FAU's throat.  MG has certainly been off the last two games, balls overthrown ,underthrown, and behind recievers, I expect he'll iron out the problems. I counted only two dropped passes at FAU, 1 to Amarri and 1 to Edwards.  Edwards was a ball thrown behind him but still catchable, and from my perspective Amarri's drop was aided by a defender.

• Content Count:  4,501

No one will mistake this offense for WV but again we managed to put up 37 on UNC and Miami couldn't do that and we put up 23 on AU and Florida couldn't do that.

I think everyone has taken a turn turning the ball over so maybe we are done with that.

And BadBull I think you where right on about Matt being just a tad off.

Yet we are still 5-0.

GO BULLS !

• Content Count:  10,219

You are wrong.... this offense is much more productive through 5 games than last year.  Why would you say it is not clicking.  It is just different and more balanced.

Here are some comparisons to last year through 5 games:

2007                    2006

Total Yardage....         1818                   1881

PTS on offense             140                     113

Pts per Game                  28                    22.6

TDs                               18                     14

Rushing yards                 905                     720

Passing yard                  913                 1197

I see much more balance against two much better defenses than what we played against last year.  Also, Grothe had a big day passing against UCF last year.  Let's see what happens this weekend. 

Also, remember in the Auburn game, we didn't really have the opportunity to put up more yardage because our defense gave us a short fleld all so many times. 

Keep in mind that we are stil working with a banged up OL, 2 freshman backs, a freshman at OL.   With all that we are still averaging a TD more per game against mmuch tougher competitiion and 2 ranked opponents. 

The passing game's timing is off a little bit, buit we have also been throwing down the field more than ever before.  Last year a lot of the passes were swings or WR screens to Randolph and he had the YAC.

I would really like for us to use TJ, Hester and Amarri as the set receivers and use the other guys to spell them My opinion is that the timing can't be good if we keep shuttling guys in and out.

I think Gregory is being smarter than we have experienced last year.  He is taking what the defense is giving us and exploiting it.  No way Smith would have adjusted away from the pass to the run like gregory did against FAU.  he would have tried to run some end arounds or reverses.  Even against Auburn he would have not been as patient and tried something stupid. 

My only concern with the offense is the way we work the clock.  That problem seems to have continued agaisn this year.  Both against WVU and FAU.

I am expecting a break out game this week from the offense.  Let's see what happens.

great analysis.

the offense is much better. the coach is much better.

some fundamentals need to be stressed...those are player (pride) issuses ie. ball security, and catching passses

grothe is a bit off on some passes and decision making but...his TD to INT ratio is better

this is a young team we expected to be good in 2008, they are ahead of schedule and have caught the perfect storm of schedule and LUCK so they are ranked #5...just be happy.

Archived