• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

HOT song (Ron and Ian)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  0

It's Shout it Out by Too Short...It is off of the Drumline The Movie soundtrack

• Content Count:  509

If I'm reading your "Da"s right, it could be "Shout It Out" from the movie Drumline. It's the second piece they play here:

at around the 48 second mark.

you are correct sir!  Thank you!

• Content Count:  32

Yes - I was posting at the same time you all were.  It's "Shout it Out" from Too Short, and the movie 'Drumline'

With the Gary Glitter issue:  the way copyright laws work - he doesn't get royalties off of us.  The University pays a blanket royalty fee to the major record labels that covers all TV/Radio broadcasts.  Otherwise, when ESPN is coming in/out of commercial - any music from the HOT or the PA system that gets broadcast on TV would be in violation of the law.

Copyright law does not apply to live performance - so the HOT never has to pay.   We DO have to pay for the right to arrange music for our band (like some of our halftime shows), but we did not write the arrangement of the Gary Glitter song - we purchased it from a publishing house.

Hope all that helps...GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  594

With the Gary Glitter issue:  the way copyright laws work - he doesn't get royalties off of us.  The University pays a blanket royalty fee to the major record labels that covers all TV/Radio broadcasts.  Otherwise, when ESPN is coming in/out of commercial - any music from the HOT or the PA system that gets broadcast on TV would be in violation of the law.

Copyright law does not apply to live performance - so the HOT never has to pay.  We DO have to pay for the right to arrange music for our band (like some of our halftime shows), but we did not write the arrangement of the Gary Glitter song - we purchased it from a publishing house.

We pay a blanket fee to the PUBLISHERS -- that's an important distinction. A portion of our blanket fee to BMI (the publisher of Glitter's song) goes to Glitter himself, and he has regularly used his wealth to pay restitution or compensation (in countries that allow it) for his crimes against children.

Copyright law absolutely applies to live performance, but the HOT is covered under USF's blanket fee to BMI. There's a copyright on the song, and there's a copyright on the recording of the song (which in legalese is a "derivative work").

If music played in public is written by someone else, even if the version being played is derivative (and I am ignoring the money Glitter gets from the publishing house -- the one that the HOT buys its music from -- for publishing his work) then the copyright holder (writer of the song) is implicated.

For instance, the owner of a nightclub that features bands playing cover songs must pay a blanket fee for the performance of those copyrighted works. ASCAP and BMI employ field agents to monitor these performance rights. The HOT is covered underneath USF's blanket fee, which covers not only the use of recorded works but those performed by singers or bands (i.e. if a band plays on campus).

ASCAP and BMI have intense statistical calculations that determine how money from these blanket fees are distributed to songwriters. The more they monitor a song to be performed/played (there is no difference in the law; this is something that often confuses people) the higher a percentage of the pool goes toward that songwriter. Thus, and this is important, the more prominent USF sports become to the public, the higher the percentage of the fees go to Glitter.

I'm citing this from a book, but a quick google brought this page up, which kind of explains what I'm talking about.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-licensing3.htm

To make a long story short, a portion of our BMI blanket fee will go to Gary Glitter regardless -- but by ending our performance of his song, and encouraging other firms to stop doing so as well, his sizable annual income will eventually cease to be much of anything.

• Content Count:  1,066

It's my favorite chart....and it has nothing to do with the tuba soli, nope....s*%t, what's happening to my nose....

• Content Count:  21,056
  • Days Won:  38

Wasn't HOT playing Gary Glitter when all those little girls were on the field doing a show with the older cheerleaders?  That was quite creepy.

• Content Count:  594

Wasn't HOT playing Gary Glitter when all those little girls were on the field doing a show with the older cheerleaders?  That was quite creepy.

Seriously? Yikes.

• Content Count:  32

Bobcat99:  Yes - you are correct.  I was trying to give a simplified answer to keep it short.  Some people on this board get frustrated when Band threads get too in depth.  The Gary Glitter issue is an hot topic of discusison with Athletic Bands across the country...as is Michael Jackson's music...and any other artist who uses their wealth aquired via royalties for questionable reasons.

RockyStyle:  I've only been here since '05 - but I know in that time there has never been a performance w/HOT and Cheerleaders on the field...especially not w/the Hey Song.  It might have been PA music.

HOTMello:  I believe you're thinking of 'Hey Baby'.

I'm happy to discuss these, or any other Band issues via email:  schnettler@arts.usf.edu

Archived