• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another Tamplona reference...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

... one more for E.T.:

From Card Chronicle, http://www.cardchronicle.com/story/2007/9/10/55511/1289

SOUTH FLORIDA 26, AUBURN 23 (OT)

A huge victory for the Big East as a program that's been around all of 11 years goes on the road and beats the most successful SEC program of the last four years in an overtime thriller.

People can talk all they want about how no one plays any defense in the Big East, but USF won this game despite its kicker leaving 12 points on the field and some overly conservative red zone play calling because they own the best cornerback duo in the country in Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams, an absolute beast of a defensive end in George Selvie, and one of college football's most underrated linebackers in Ben Moffitt.

Brandon Cox taking snaps on the other side of the ball didn't hurt either.

I fully admit to not giving the Bulls a chance after hearing that Nick Capogna was out, but USF actually led Auburn in every offensive category, including rushing yards. Mike Ford ran for a bruising 74 yards and reaffirmed my belief that he, Noel Devine and LaSean McCoy will be duking it out for the title of best running back in the Big East in two years.

I would give young Matthew his "Gunner" nickname back, but that performance was beyond that of a scrappy freshman so for now he remains alias-less.

The win brought the Big East's record against the SEC to 6-0 since 2003, and 16-10 overall.

Kudos Bulls, even if the win did come at the expense of my perfect season.

USF gets the week off before Butch Davis and North Carolina come to Tamplona on Sept. 22.

• Content Count:  3,403

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,577
  • Days Won:  29

Tamplona is a fictional name ... Tampa + Pamplona = Tamplona ... it's simply a nickname. Old Tampla Stadium had the nickname The Big Sombrero.

Pamplona is where the annual running of the bulls are in Spain.

I Love It !  ;D

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Not gunna lie. At first I thought Tamplona was retarded, but it's starting to grow on me.  I'd like to see it kicked around by the media a bit. Hell, it'd be one of those things that'll make USF a we bit more appealing.

• Content Count:  1,260

ET must be grinning from ear to ear  :D

• Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

Tamplona is a fictional name ... Tampa + Pamplona = Tamplona ... it's simply a nickname. Old Tampla Stadium had the nickname The Big Sombrero.

Pamplona is where the annual running of the bulls are in Spain.

I'm glad to know what it means now.  I've been using the word (cause I thought it was cool), but I never knew the origin of the word.  Now I'm educated.  Cool.

Archived