• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another Big East Raid on the Way?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I don't think Missouri has a itch to move conferences just yet. Remember the Big 12 gets similar money to the Big 10 as far as TV contracts, etc.

I think you're more than likely going to see Rutgers as their top target. Although they are not IN NYC, they have that market. Delany said the move would be in a bigger market for TV purposes.

If Missouri does jump, I think the first target of the Big 12 would be Arkansas. I doubt they'd leave the MILLIONS the SEC makes them, but Arkansas is a SWC team, not a SEC team. Then you'd have an opening in the SEC...Georgia Tech or Clemson would be their 1st targets...Then the ACC has to fill the void...WVU, Rutgers, Louisville...Then the Big East...TCU, UCF, Memphis, Marshall...

None of that will happen. If I were a betting man, I'd guess that the Big 10 will add another team by 2011, and it will not be Missouri. I think they will give Notre Dame one last shot. However, with the recent move of dropping Michigan (apparently because of Michigan wanting ND to become a B10 member) I don't see it happening. I would think that they would then move to the Missouri, who will decline. Then go to UL, Rutgers, or Pitt and one of those teams wouldn't think twice about not taking the $40M a year the Big 10 gets for football alone and jump over.

I don't see any of this happening yet.  We haven't heard enough yet, and it wasn't given a ringing endorsement by the BE commish, Jim Delaney:

"I'm agnostic," Delany said. "I could live with two divisions and a championship game, but I think that has a tendency to devalue the season-ending game and have a negative impact on your losing team in season-ending games.

"I don't want us to tear ourselves apart over the structure of football for the sake of expansion."

So, I wouldn't go overboard about thinking it would happen, unless ND said yes tomorrow.

Interesting in your scenario about Missourri joining B10, that you have UL, WVU and RU joining the ACC (all northern teams) but no mention of USF.  I would throw USF in that pot, although a slight underdog as of now.  Especially if we make the progress the next 2 years I expect us to (for example top 15-20 finishes, etc).  Remember, no one though we would be in the BE 6-7 years ago, they thought CDOA would be as high as we would go.

That said, I am perfectly happy with the BE, and hope the BE stays together and does not get raided.  I like the current makeup of BE football teams.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I think the B10 expansion is likely within the next 5 years.

As for why I didn't include USF, the ACC is gonna go for more northern teams make sure BC is no so much on an island. It was their biggest concern with BC last expansion and will continue that way. I don't forsee them adding a third Florida team, it could happen, but I just don't see it.

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I don't think a Big Ten expansion will end up affecting the BE...

Just an update on this. Living in Big 10 land this is a pretty strong subject that has been talked about everywhere.

At this point most feel it's going to happen eventually. Maybe not this year or next, but it will. The general feeling is that its Comcast wanting another major market in order to put the Big 10 Network on regular cable. Meaning Rutgers and Cuse could be 1 and 2 after ND. The Big 10 recognizzes how important being on the basic lineup compared to susbscription tier and is willing to sacrifice their long term stance on expansion to assure the netowrk makes money.

This sounds a lot like the ACC expansion, and I wouldn't be shocked to hear a yay or neh on expansion this week as the Big 10 meetings are happening.

• Content Count:  400
  • Days Won:  0

why not pittsburgh?  geographically, they are closer to the big 10 region than penn state.. also, the pittsburgh area is a decent tv market.. i say, either UL, cincy, or pittsburgh.. to be added to the big 10.. when that happens, i say big east go for UCF.. TCU and Univ of Houston would be great (both top 10 markets), but they are too far to the west.. then again, we are the only team in the south, so why the hell not.. if we ever expand to 10, i say add UCF, UH, or TCU (pick 2)

• Content Count:  115
  • Days Won:  0

This is an easy one Missouri goes to the Big 10 much better money and prestiges.  The Big 10 gets a great market.  The big 12 either stays at 12 or adds TCU.  Its just to good a fit to ignore.  The MWC takes Boise.  Everyone ends up happy.

It seems that easy, but the whole point of this expansion is definitly TV and the fact that the Big 12 Network would be picked up nationally and on the basic package if they had a bigger market. Enter Syracuse or Rutgers for NYC.

Missouri would be a good catch, but Rutgers is in the NYC MSA...

Not saying Mizzou isn't gonna get the nod, but the news up this way (Cincitucky) is heavy on Rutgers being the team they'll add IF they add one. Which Michigan and OSU are both fighting.

Delany denied expansion this afternoon, which looks like it probably won't happen, but TV $$$ talks. So we'll probably have a definite answer this weel.

Archived