• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Great Story About the ACC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I'm posting it on this board for a few reasons: Miami is discussed here frequently in light of our new annual game with them, without the ACC expansion USF wouldn't be in the Big East, and the revolving discussion of the "need" for the Big East to expand to 12 teams.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10267107

Expansion has done nothing to boost ACC play at this point

July 24, 2007

By Dennis Dodd

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

PINEHURST, N.C. -- There are better ways to enter the marketplace.

How do the ad slicksters put it -- product rollout, brand launch?

Can the Hurricanes finally become the ACC's showcase team? (Getty Images)   

There are even more inventive ways to tap dance around the issue at ACC media days. The hell with the corporate buzzwords. ACC football has disappointed. As a brand, it is branded, arriving underdeveloped in 2004 and going into 2007 overhyped.

The ACC league presidents are still on the hook for delivering a beta version too soon, with too many glitches. Three years ago, that quickie expansion forced an awkward, gi-normous 11-team league to kick off without Boston College. Two years ago, league champion Florida State lost five games.

Last season, the league went Van de Velde, limping home with Miami and Florida State both at 7-6.

"Outside of the conference (the perception is) yes, one of us, or Virginia Tech, need to be their showcase team," Miami offensive lineman Derrick Morse said.

The fact that the ACC is still launching football is the biggest clue to its underachievement. Check your preseason magazines for confirmation. The conference is rated somewhere below the SEC, Pac-10, Big Ten, Big East and Big 12 heading into this season.

Pretty much where it was before Florida State, Miami and Virginia Tech came onboard.

Check the outside world. It has not been kind to the ACC. BCS league teams are 16-6 against the ACC. The SEC is particularly harsh, having gone 7-1 against the reconstituted ACC. The league is 1-8 in BCS bowls, the only victory being Florida State's 2000 Sugar Bowl win.

Against the top 10, the ACC is a staggering 3-31 since 2000.

There is a segment of the population that would give up a kidney in return for ACC Tournament tickets. A similar segment wouldn't give you a can of kidney beans for tickets to last season's football championship game between Wake Forest and Georgia Tech.

There is not a bigger difference in perception between the two money-making sports in any major conference.

"When a Wake Forest can win a league with Florida State, Miami and Virginia Tech in the league that's something to be respected ... " commissioner John Swofford said. "If that fits Madison Avenue, fine. If it doesn't, that's fine too."

No, it's not. The hoop-centric ACC expanded for football. It expanded for football because the financial rewards reaped by Big 12 and SEC -- two other 12-team leagues.

While the money has been good, the football hasn't been great. Which means the brand is diminished. Madison Ave. and the rights holder want to see Miami and Florida State in the ACC championship game. Each year, if possible. They're also tired of waiting. A Florida State-Miami Labor Day night season opener the past three seasons has been scrapped in favor of Florida State-Clemson this year.

The last ACC team to win a national championship was Florida State in 1999. No ACC champion has finished undefeated in the league since that year. Also since then, the Big 12 and SEC have each won national championships.

With a chance to showcase its league here, ACC coaches brought a grand total of one quarterback (Boston College's Matt Ryan) to the media days.

Only Virginia Tech is a consensus Top 25 pick. As good as the favored Hokies are, they might be knocked out of the national title chase in Week 2 at LSU.

Mike Krzyzewski once said the league had sold out for football. Certainly not at your school, Mike.

"Last year was bad for us, we won only seven games and I almost feel embarrassed," Morse told the Fort Worth Star Telegram. "If I didn't care about winning, I'd go to Duke."

You want to talk branding? For a few horrific minutes, Miami was still Miami. Let's not forget its brawl with Florida International that disgraced the school and the league.

As good a story as Wake Forest was, the ACC didn't expand so that its league championship game wouldn't sell out and the Gator Bowl Association would reportedly lose $300,000 on the game at Jacksonville's Alltel Stadium.

It didn't form so that a slump by glam programs Miami and Florida State would coincide with/be caused by a new level of "competitiveness," in the league.

"How can you put pressure on me?" said 77-year-old Bobby Bowden. "I could walk out tomorrow and have a darn good time (but) I don't want to ... Miami will be back and we will too."

That's part of the problem: The assumption that Miami and Florida State will be back anytime soon.

It's not so much Bowden's age but his method for rebuilding that's the problem. Five new coaches aren't going to mean diddly if the new assistants don't find better players. It used to be a Seminole quarterback wouldn't start until his junior season. In recent years, flameouts and freak outs have forced Bowden having to start inexperienced quarterbacks too soon.

Randy Shannon wasn't the first choice at Miami, but might be the best choice in the long run. He is a disciplinarian whose rules would make both Larry Coker and Bowden blush.

What we don't know is if the career assistant can coach a lick.

"Miami football is still Miami football," Shannon said. "Will the numbers come back next season? It depends."

Madison Ave. isn't the only one watching.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Nice find.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Good Article. My favorite part is:

The conference is rated somewhere below the SEC, Pac-10, Big Ten, Big East and Big 12 heading into this season.

• Content Count:  66,086
  • Days Won:  172

mazza said that miami would regret leaving big east and they have

i think bc also regrets leaving

• Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

Smazza, I totally disagree, Miami is very happy in the A.C.C., it is a much better fit.  The downfall of the CANES in football WILL be reversed in short order as YOU and USF will soon see.

Also, just check out on the SCOUT or RIVAL boards their commits, that will give you a good idea how well they are doing.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Not sure how this is relevant to USF.  ???

Archived