• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Looking To Add 9th Football Team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I don't necessarily think the BE will vote down UCF or Marshall just because one school is oppossed. They are going to vote with the school that makes them the MOST money, meaning TV market.

I know most don't want to hear this on here, but I'm sure UCF will probably be a finalist, if not the team selected. Mainly because the Orlando TV market is a top 20 market and valuable for contract renegotiations. The BE football TV contract needs all the help it can get.

That being said, that is why TCU is the smartest choice, while they suck at pretty much everything except football and baseball, they are in a top 10 TV market and have a pretty good academic base. The problem is distance, I'm not sure the BE will be willing to deal with that.

I don't think Memphis is as big of a contender as some believe. They're not in a very dominant TV market (44th)and they've had more trouble with the NCAA than most schools would like to associate with, and they have some of the worst Studnet Athlete academic problems (well school wide they have some of the worst academic problems)

I'd love to somehow pull a Penn State, Maryland, GT, or another BCS conference member, but it's not happening. Our TV contract is almost 1/2 what the Big 10 and ACC get and less than 1/2 of the SEC; not to mention the bowl tieins and sponsors. Too much money in the other conferences to pull anyone to the Big East unless we started forfeiting money to get them here.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  55
  • Days Won:  0

tranghese is a basketball guy who doesn't want to hurt the catholic schools. To get a 9th team, it will take the fb schools to split from the catholic schools.

notre dame, penn state and md will never join the big east.  they would never make enough money to do so.

the only way that happens is if something earth shattering happens, like the big 12 breaking up or a playoff system is implemented that includes conference champions.  that way, smaller is better and an easier road to the bcs.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

All the speculation is really for naught. The Big East isn't adding any football members anytime soon. Mtneer001 is on the money.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I don't necessarily think the BE will vote down UCF or Marshall just because one school is oppossed. They are going to vote with the school that makes them the MOST money, meaning TV market.

I know most don't want to hear this on here, but I'm sure UCF will probably be a finalist, if not the team selected. Mainly because the Orlando TV market is a top 20 market and valuable for contract renegotiations. The BE football TV contract needs all the help it can get.

That being said, that is why TCU is the smartest choice, while they suck at pretty much everything except football and baseball, they are in a top 10 TV market and have a pretty good academic base. The problem is distance, I'm not sure the BE will be willing to deal with that.

I don't think Memphis is as big of a contender as some believe. They're not in a very dominant TV market (44th)and they've had more trouble with the NCAA than most schools would like to associate with, and they have some of the worst Studnet Athlete academic problems (well school wide they have some of the worst academic problems)

I'd love to somehow pull a Penn State, Maryland, GT, or another BCS conference member, but it's not happening. Our TV contract is almost 1/2 what the Big 10 and ACC get and less than 1/2 of the SEC; not to mention the bowl tieins and sponsors. Too much money in the other conferences to pull anyone to the Big East unless we started forfeiting money to get them here.

Well, let's all remember that the BE does not "have" to expand.  They just would like to.  The BE can afford to be very picky and choosy.  The BE can afford to wait it out to see if a ND or PSU (although unlikely) comes available within the next 5-7 years.  Or they can wait to see if someone separates themselves.  Or they can do nothing (status quo).

Second, the BE is not going to upset members for the sake of non members, unless it is a ND they are bringing in.  USF would be extremely against adding UCF to say the least.  If you think our conference brethren aren't going to listen to our voice and dismiss it, I think your off base.  Especially UL and UC.  We came in with them and have a kind of kinship with them.  If we don't want someone in, they will most likely listen.  I don't see anyone getting in unless it is a unanimous consenus, 100%.  Remember WE DO NOT have to expand.  It only takes 2 or 3 votes (25%) to shoot a team down.  I don't care how many facilities someone builds, if conf members don't want someone in, they aint getting in.  Since we don't have to expand, I just think whoever it is will need to be a unanimous selection.  Tranghese has basically said that numerous times in various articles.  He now states there is no one available that would be acceptable to the members.  Remember, it is up to the members.  If ND showed interest, we know they would be accepted in 2 seconds, but ND isn't available right now..

• Content Count:  2,726

Well, let's all remember that the BE does not "have" to expand.  They just would like to.  The BE can afford to be very picky and choosy.  The BE can afford to wait it out to see if a ND or PSU (although unlikely) comes available within the next 5-7 years.  Or they can wait to see if someone separates themselves.  Or they can do nothing (status quo).

Second, the BE is not going to upset members for the sake of non members, unless it is a ND they are bringing in.  USF would be extremely against adding UCF to say the least.  If you think our conference brethren aren't going to listen to our voice and dismiss it, I think your off base.  Especially UL and UC.  We came in with them and have a kind of kinship with them.  If we don't want someone in, they will most likely listen.  I don't see anyone getting in unless it is a unanimous consenus, 100%.  Remember WE DO NOT have to expand.  It only takes 2 or 3 votes (25%) to shoot a team down.  I don't care how many facilities someone builds, if conf members don't want someone in, they aint getting in.  Since we don't have to expand, I just think whoever it is will need to be a unanimous selection.  Tranghese has basically said that numerous times in various articles.  He now states there is no one available that would be acceptable to the members.  Remember, it is up to the members.  If ND showed interest, we know they would be accepted in 2 seconds, but ND isn't available right now..

Dead on...

Good Post BullFnInTx

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

If you add a ninth all-sports team, how do you deal with having 17 basketball teams? That's a horrible idea. And I doubt any school would want to be in the Big East for football and then in C-USA or the Mountain West or wherever for the rest of their sports.

I say kick out Depaul and Marquette.  Not only do they not have Football, but...well, they are not anywhere NEAR the east!!!  I don't think any body should have to change timezones in a conference made of "Eastern" Schools...Kick out Depaul and Marquette and Bring in Football Schools like, well...I don't know.  lol  But someone more east than Wisconsin!!! 

Not saying that Depaul and Marquette are not fine Universities and have great athletics but...well, Im sure someone understands me...

GO BULLS!!!

Keep the Big East in the EAST!!!  If we can add schools like Marquette which is in WISCONSIN, we should be able to add TCU!!!

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Do you know  where Milwaukee is compared to Ft. Worth? Its not that much more east.

• Content Count:  549

If you add a ninth all-sports team, how do you deal with having 17 basketball teams? That's a horrible idea. And I doubt any school would want to be in the Big East for football and then in C-USA or the Mountain West or wherever for the rest of their sports.

Seventeen basketball schools would probably be better than 16.  All you do is play each team once to get an even 16 games, and the one seed gets a fat bye in the BET.

Archived