• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF freshman Ford loses father

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  307
  • Days Won:  0

Once again leave it to the Tampa Trib and Brett to rush to break a story without all the facts.  Heart goes out to Ford and his family.

From Greg's Blog: http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

Freshman running back Mike Ford has overcome much to earn a football scholarship to USF, and the 20-year-old endured a personal tragedy during a difficult time last week as his father, Robert Ford Jr., died suddenly and unexpectedly at age 46.

Robert Ford Jr. was at a social event with friends Friday night when he died, and there still are no answers as to a cause, said Mike Ford's mother, Dondra Walker. Friday had been a tough day for Mike Ford, who had turned himself to Sarasota police early that morning on an outstanding warrant for missing a court appearance relating to traffic citations.

A couple of things to clarify: Ford was released at 6:06 p.m. Friday, about 18 hours after he turned himself in to Sarasota police. He was not required to pay any kind of bond and was released by a county judge on time served. Ford, who had been cited three times since March 2006 for driving without a registration or valid license, had missed a court date on June 12, which caused the warrant to be issued. According to the arrest report, he approached Sarasota police and notified them of the outstanding warrant. The report goes so far as to say that Ford was "very respectful and polite to the officers."

Ford's mother said he had a class at USF the day of his court hearing and "completely forgot," saying that his license had been suspended because he had gotten a ticket and not paid the fine. "He did something stupid, but he wants to put it in the past," she said. His off-field problems are unlikely to result in any significant disciplinary action from USF coach Jim Leavitt.

Services for Robert Ford Jr. will be held Saturday morning in Sarasota. For a better glimpse into his life and how much his son's success meant to him, please read this great story from Chris Anderson of the Sarasota Herald-Tribune. I can't find the story itself on the paper's website, so I've linked to a posting on a message board from two years ago. Our thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.

• Content Count:  624

I feel so bad for Mike right now, I just hope he can pull through this very tough time.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

"Our thoughts and prayers go to Mike Ford and his family, but first let me recount every single tiny detail of his arrest."

Way to go Brett, totally classless.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

My prayers to the Ford family.

A strong family and faith will help Mike through this tough and challenging time.

:'(

• Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

May God bless him.

• Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Sorry

May GOD bless him.

• Content Count:  5,691

Mike,

Hang in there when i was a sr at USF i lost my dad unexpectingly. He was only 45 at the time. It never gets easier but just always remember how much he is a part of you and you will always keep him alive.

2 weeks after i buried my dad i was in a publix parking lot and accidentally banged into a parked car while trying to park. I started to back out of the spot so i could get out any assess the damage. As i was backing out a police car came by he thought i was trying to flee. He didn't believe me said he saw me backing out and put me in cuffs. They let me go and a judge eventually dropped it but goes to show you how **** can happen.

Hang in there and utilize your family and friends to their fullest.

• Content Count:  1,433

Thoughts and prayers go out to the Ford family for comfort during this very difficult time.  May G O D be with you all...

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Hang in there.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

God bless during these trying times.

Archived