• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

To the "Different Dads"

Grateful Dad

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,345
  • Days Won:  10

To the “Different†Dads

Fathers are known for rough and tumble, for wild wresting, and for bringing the Tickle Monster to their child's belly.

Fathers teach their sons to climb trees, to throw a ball, and make a tackle. Stand like a man and work like a mule. Look the bully in the eye and "give him a right cross just like I taught you".

Some fathers sit for hours in tiny chairs playing tea party with their precious daughters, teach them to choose the right man, and demand respect from that young man before he has to teach the fellow manners himself.

Fathers stand almost in The Lord's place at curfew time just in case an adolescent son gets the idea that dad's rules are no longer applicable, that he needs to be unseated, that dad can't do anything to him anyway.

Fathers make their families feel secure walking across a dark parking lot at closing time, going into a corner store in a rough neighborhood, or talking to another parent who is being rude.

That is what fathers are like.

Well, some are like that.

Some fathers are forced into other roles. With broken bodies, they can no longer cast the long shadow, instill proper fear, and protect loved ones. They must find other ways to be dad -- a new definition must be forged in order to remain relevant. So amid their loss and grieving, pain and uncertainty, they shape little lives in the only way left to them. By example, they model perseverance, courage, tenacity, and empathy. They must be gentle now, for there is no longer a capacity to force compliance. Behavior is now shaped by instilling understanding instead of fear. Permission for a boy to cry is easily granted by a father who has as his constant companion his own sorrow.

Achievement is no longer king, but has been usurped by overcoming.

So today, my hat is off to disabled dads who from their hospital beds, wheelchairs, or own private Hell keep their mission in sight, fight back the memories of when they were whole, cry before their family, fall down -- but get back up. And in the rising again, in the struggle, in the abandonment of the devilish notion that their family would be better off without them, they reach down inside and up to their own Father for the graces to be the best dad they can be for just one more day.

There are different kinds of dads. Today is Father's Day for all of them.

Lord, give Fathers the graces to live up to the awesome job you have given them, in whatever way you have left to them.

Peace be with you,

Chuck

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  6,502
  • Days Won:  0

Amen Brother Bull

• Content Count:  928

I'm 25 with 2 years of school left. It's extremely hard to want children until my heartaches. I know that I cannot support a child as I see fit right now so my heart will have to ache for at least 2 more years. I believe I was put here to be a father. Growing up without one proves that even further; I will be what my "father" never was.

Whatever role I am placed in, I know that there isn't a clear cut method on fatherhood, in which I am grateful for. I have enough perception to know that I can be a "different dad" but am fortunate to have other options as well.

I commend the fathers that succeed, the fathers that do the best they can in spite of their own wills. I'm honored that I get the chance to fulfill what I consider my destiny.

Happy Fathers day!!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,345
  • Days Won:  10

I'm 25 with 2 years of school left. It's extremely hard to want children until my heartaches. I know that I cannot support a child as I see fit right now so my heart will have to ache for at least 2 more years. I believe I was put here to be a father. Growing up without one proves that even further; I will be what my "father" never was.

Whatever role I am placed in, I know that there isn't a clear cut method on fatherhood, in which I am grateful for. I have enough perception to know that I can be a "different dad" but am fortunate to have other options as well.

I commend the fathers that succeed, the fathers that do the best they can in spite of their own wills. I'm honored that I get the chance to fulfill what I consider my destiny.

Happy Fathers day!!!

What a great post, Seabull.  I have no doubt that you will be an awesome dad.

Any guy can be a father.  It takes someone special to be a dad.

• Content Count:  6,502

I guess I could be considered a different dad.  While I am not a disabled dad.  I am a step dad. 

Both my boys were adolescents when their mother and I married.  I raised them as my own.  After 2 years of marriage I finally convinced their natural father to give up his parental rights and allow me to adopt them.  He jumped at that opportunity.  After my wife agreed to dropping court action for back child support.  My own parents accepted them as their natural grandsons. 

Today my youngest son has blessed me with 3 beautiful grandkids.  And has my utmost respect for serving his contry in the US military.  I am proud of him.  I am proud of both my sons.

I am extremely blessed to be a father and seeing my sons and my grandkids I could ask for anything else to complete my life here on earth.

Archived