• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Memphis over Depaul

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

It seems to me that the BE dropped the ball taking Depaul over Memphis.  Its truly ashame that the BB schools HAD to have control.  Memphis has rivalries with UC and UL.  They are stronger in basketball.  Memphis football gives the NBE conf. 9 teams.  Basketball would still be the best in the nation.

Only negative is losing the Chicago TV market but Depaul's marketability in Chicago is not that strong.  ILL & Notre Dame dominate.  Similar to FSU, UF & Miami in Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater.   I don't know its just a thought that's been reaccurring in my brain lately.  Hopefully it will go away now.  :)

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I still like depaul better...  Depaul has and will always be a strong school, athletically and academically and has a great TV market.  They don't have football, but we didn't need another football school... we've got what, 16 teams, 8 bb only and 8 fb?  i may be wrong, that is off the top of my head.

if it were 9 and 7 it would make for tougher scheduling and make it tough to split down the road to 2 8 team conferences, which will happen eventually.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Additionally, they didn't want the football schools to outnumber the basketball schools.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Additionally, they didn't want the football schools to outnumber the basketball schools.

That's a shame IMO.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  49

I agree concerning Memphis over Depaul.  The thing is that Depaul and USF will start to gain more interest from their local fans now that they have access to BCS and the best bb conference that has ever been put together. They only need a couple of seasons of really good wins and people will start giving them their due.

Depaul already has a good program, they won the conference usa reg season championship last year.   Memphis has nothing on depaul as far as bball is concerned, especially if Calipari leaves.  Depaul always gets a blue chipper or two, as does memphis.  Memphis has football, but i think top to bottom in all the other sports (basketball being close edge maybe to memphis)...depaul is better.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

DePaul doesn't get many excited.  Not that Memphis does either but I think they do more than DePaul.  

I think Memphis excite people because of calipari... without him, they aren't all that exciting.  I don't think they'll have him much longer anyway.  He'll bolt for the big east.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

calapari would have stayed if mempuss got the nod

cinci over memphis?  is a better question

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

big east is really 2 conferences

one for football and one for basketball

memphis is a southern school and simply not that good football

depaul and chicago market is a better fit  but they certainly aren't in the east