• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Baseball Suspensions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  624
  • Days Won:  0

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

Walter Diaz, Chris Delaney, and Dexter Butler will all be suspended for the GT 3-game series this weekend. It was a violation of team rules. This suspension really hurts us, especially at a such a crucial time.

• Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

From Greg's Blog:

Three key baseball players suspended

Lelo Prado's Bulls baseball team will have to go through a key weekend series without its top two hitters and its winningest pitcher, each suspended for a three-game series at home against No. 24 Georgia Tech.

Infielders Walter Diaz and Dexter Butler, who have the team's top two batting averages at .377 and .359, respectively, will not play because of an unspecified violation of team rules. Pitcher Chris Delaney, who leads the team with an 8-1 record, will not make his scheduled start because of a separate rules violation. Prado also confirmed that reliever Davis Bilardello, third on the staff with 19 appearances, is no longer with the team.

"We're going to have guys that represent the program on the field, in the classroom and off the field the right way," Prado said. "It's stupid stuff, but you've got to lay the groundwork for the future of this program."

Prado said that all three suspended players will be allowed to play again, starting with Friday's Big East game at Seton Hall. The Bulls, who have dropped six of their last seven games to fall to 28-18 and 10-11 in the Big East, need a strong finish to have reasonable expectations of earning an at-large berth in the NCAA Tournament. The Bulls have dropped eight of their last 10 conference games, falling into fifth place in the league standings.

"I said I only need 12 or 15 guys. If that's what it takes, we've got to clean up," Prado said. "I was told that from the very beginning, and now I'm seeing it."

The biggest absence might be Diaz, who leads the Big East with 72 hits and had a 24-game hitting streak this season. Prado said that freshman Shaun Sanford, who has been effective as the team's closer, will start on the mound in Delaney's place Sunday. Sanford made his first USF start on Sunday, pitching well in a 4-2 loss to Louisville.

It will be interesting to see who else will play the infield.  My guess is Maruszak will move to SS, Cleveland to 3B, and possibly Soares or Pina to 2B.  It definitely hurts our chances at winning any of these games against GT.  The pitching situation could be a mess too.  This series might get UGLY........  

• Content Count:  928

:slapmax

• Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

These are three key losses.  Bye bye NCAA at large bid.  Now we'll need to win the BE Tourney outright.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Visit Greg's Blog.

• Content Count:  1,911

i met the diaz kid through mutual friends and it doesnt surprise me.  I would bet it was an off the field issue.  IMHo, student athletes shouldnt go to bars or parties with gold and platinum teeth, with a bad attitude.  i dont care how good you are or what your average is.  Its says either im hard, im trying to be hard or i think im hard.  how about you go to class and play baseball.  terrible timing, this does not surprise me.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

good

manager needs to show them he is boss

• Content Count:  765

Agree...  this will pay off over time.   self discipline = lifetime success

• Content Count:  594

For what it's worth, I have one of those gentlemen in my class and he turned his final paper in today, on time. So I don't think it's an academic issue.

Archived